Manhattan, New York, New York
James Morrissey Offline OP
I
James Morrissey  Offline OP
I
Carpal Tunnel

Hey,

I thought this might be a good opportunity for people to share their websites and their current work in a friendly atmosphere.

-JM

Re: Post your website! [Re: James Morrissey] #339
07/14/05 06:02 PM
07/14/05 06:02 PM
fl,ak
rustin Offline
Tracker
rustin  Offline
Tracker

fl,ak

Re: Post your website! [Re: rustin] #340
09/17/05 02:03 PM
09/17/05 02:03 PM
Portland Oregon
RomanJohnston Offline
Pooh-Bah
RomanJohnston  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Portland Oregon
Their both in my signature....have at it!

Re: Post your website! [Re: James Morrissey] #341
09/18/05 10:57 PM
09/18/05 10:57 PM
Calgary
J
JRDAVIS Offline
Wanderer
JRDAVIS  Offline
Wanderer
J

Calgary

Re: Post your website! [Re: JRDAVIS] #342
09/18/05 11:45 PM
09/18/05 11:45 PM
I
I
Carpal Tunnel

Roman,

Those are some AWESOME shots you have in your gallery. The alpha wolf in your Oregon 1 gallery is quite good. I also really like the image "Columbia River Sunset." Great colors and composition. Upper Multnomah Falls is also quite an interesting composition.

I am going to go back to your website and check out some more.

Thank you for sharing

James

PS JR, thanks for posting your site here as well. I really like what you showed off in the Critique my work section.

Re: Post your website! [Re: James Morrissey] #343
09/20/05 10:12 AM
09/20/05 10:12 AM
Portland Oregon
RomanJohnston Offline
Pooh-Bah
RomanJohnston  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Portland Oregon
Thanks James....the wolf is in captivity....(always try to be upfront about that) That shot was with my old CP5700...which I sold to a friend to get my D70 (and he was with me on the "Columbia River Sunset" shoot). The upper Multnomah Falls shot also came from that day out. When I had my D70...my (then) boss had just gotten his 10D and wanted to learn a little more on how to use it....so we all got together one day and played hookey for the last 1/2 of the day (hey...we had the boss with us...lol) and played around in the Gorge...it was a blast...like 5 of us running around with our new gear.

Most of my animal shots are in captivity....except for a spotted owl I will share with you....interesting story on that one...will post tonight.

Roman

Re: Post your website! [Re: RomanJohnston] #344
09/20/05 10:44 PM
09/20/05 10:44 PM
Portland Oregon
RomanJohnston Offline
Pooh-Bah
RomanJohnston  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Portland Oregon
Ok....the owl. Went on a hike to PunchBowl Falls with my wife. On the way back to the car it was getting quite dark, and almost to the point of needing flashlights....we were walking...and we heard next to nothing.....but I saw it first as an owl swooped over our heads and landed in a tree right next to the trail. I motioned for Lisa to stop...and I put my camera pack down. I took out my D70 with the Sigma 70-200 lens and took a few shots....realized I was not going to get anything looking at the shutter speed. (and the resulting blurry shots) I punched the flash button and took a few more. The owl was actually very tolerant of our moving around him despit being only 3 feet away....he moved to a new small stump (the one in the picture) and posed perfectly for a few more shots.

After a few more, he took off...swoopped and hoovered over lisas head (like 6-9 inches from it)...as if to say..."Thats enough...now let me hunt" and took off.

We thanked him and the universe for such a wonderful encounter (with or without camera) and I packed up the camera...unpacked the flashlights...and we wound ourselves down the last hour of trail in the pitch dark.

Now...here is the shot....not the best I have seen, but ok. Little noise from under exposure.

Roman

Re: Post your website! [Re: RomanJohnston] #345
09/21/05 01:21 AM
09/21/05 01:21 AM
I
I
Carpal Tunnel

"I punched the flash button and took a few more. The owl was actually very tolerant of our moving around him despit being only 3 feet away....he moved to a new small stump (the one in the picture) and posed perfectly for a few more shots."

Hey Roman,

You are pretty lucky that he was willing to sit through this. You are even more lucky that he landed so close. Owls are reputedly very hard to photograph. Sadly, I have never seen one in the natural environment. Of course, it is not that odd as I live in Manhattan.

-JM

Re: Post your website! [Re: James Morrissey] #346
09/21/05 05:19 AM
09/21/05 05:19 AM
Austria
R
rkreinz Offline
Wanderer
rkreinz  Offline
Wanderer
R

Austria
Hi all,

This is a good way do introduce myself with my first posting. Am from Austria/Europe and have now over 8 years of photography experience. I started over a year ago with Nature photography and I have a lot of fun in this area.

Here is my “new” homepage with only a few pictures, hopefully more in the near future.

www.photograph-austria.at

Regards,
Robert

Re: Post your website! [Re: James Morrissey] #347
09/21/05 10:40 AM
09/21/05 10:40 AM
Portland Oregon
RomanJohnston Offline
Pooh-Bah
RomanJohnston  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Portland Oregon
Quote:

You are pretty lucky that he was willing to sit through this. You are even more lucky that he landed so close. Owls are reputedly very hard to photograph. Sadly, I have never seen one in the natural environment. Of course, it is not that odd as I live in Manhattan.

-JM

I have ALWAYS had a good relationship with animals. I have had elk and deer walk up to me, Humming birds for some reason like me. I remember a rather unnerving encounter with a porcupine while doing what comes naturally in the woods ...I have pictures of birds landing on my hands (taken by my wife with our canon P&S.) Even at the Sonoran Desert Museum (outside Tucson)The keeper was befudled when he caught me poking my finger through the cage and scratching the head of one of their raptors (I think it was a Coopers Hawk) I try not to be stupid about it...wouldnt go up and embrace a bear...lol...but in a natural setting...if an animal comes up to me...and I dont sense any ill intent...I interact as much as they will allow. During my stint of house inspecting (13 years) I never got bit by anyting (to the befuddlement of my co-inspectors)...till I gave them a tip....dont kill anything...I catch and release everything I can if I catch it in the house (my wife now knows to call me instead of squashing things) They can sense if you would squash them...and will often take defensive posture....even if you dont see them....which would explain that in living and exploring the Tucosn area for 3 years I did not see one scorpion and never ran into any venemous snakes. The ones that followed that advice reduced if not eliminated their "negitive encounters" with things that bite.

Sorry for rambling on...but being nature photographers....we have to remember that most animals read our (for lack of a better word) energy patterns...lots of people call these "instincts"....and will react or even show themselves accordingly.

Just my .02

Roman

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 252 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online629
Dec 4th, 2019

Copyright �2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer