NWPBanner
Welcome! NWPphotoforum.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#34838 - 04/17/11 05:43 PM How The Professionals Do It
Jim Garvie Offline
Addict

Loc: Florida
There wasn't a professional photographer at the Lure Coursing Trial yesterday and, since I had brought the camera to shoot Moxie and Ike's run, I did take some pics of the real professionals doing their thing. Compared to these guys, the Rotties looked like they were moving in slow-motion smile. Anyhow, with due apologies to Julie Poole who really does know how to shoot these types of events, here are some of my favorite shots from yesterday's event.

And my favorite to show the sheer joy of running fast as the wind.

Enjoy!

Jim

#34839 - 04/17/11 06:43 PM Re: How The Professionals Do It [Re: Jim Garvie]
Peggy Sue Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Illinois
Jim, these are wonderful. There is something so grand about watching our canine crittes running full out. Thanks for posting.

#34841 - 04/17/11 07:17 PM Re: How The Professionals Do It [Re: Jim Garvie]
Jim Poor Offline
Addict

Loc: Virginia, USA
Wow, those are great! Love the muscles in the third one!

Visit my website

#34848 - 04/18/11 12:20 PM Re: How The Professionals Do It [Re: Jim Poor]
Jim Garvie Offline
Addict

Thanks Jim. It was great fun to watch the difference between the almost delicate Salukis and the muscular Rhodesian Ridgebacks. Both run fast but the Salukis float and with the Ridgebacks, it's all about pure power. I really enjoyed shooting this event albeit as simply a competitor.

Jim

#34850 - 04/18/11 03:57 PM Re: How The Professionals Do It [Re: Jim Garvie]
Jim Poor Offline
Addict

Loc: Virginia, USA
I hope to shoot coursing at Whippet Nationals next year. I talked to the performance chair and she seemed open to the idea of one contract for all performance events.

Visit my website

#34851 - 04/18/11 04:49 PM Re: How The Professionals Do It [Re: Jim Garvie]
James Morrissey Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Manhattan, New York, New York
Hey Jim,

These are really cool. I would like to go to some of these events. They look like a ton of fun.

James

#34855 - 04/18/11 08:07 PM Re: How The Professionals Do It [Re: James Morrissey]
Jim Garvie Offline
Addict

James, they are fun! And the show chair just saw my photos and has invited me to shoot their next few Trials so I'll be having more fun. Let me check where and when there will be Lure Coursing in your area. Down here, they won't really start in again until the Fall when it cools down. But in your neck of the woods, they pretty much run them all year. I'll send you some information.

Jim

#34860 - 04/19/11 01:29 AM Re: How The Professionals Do It [Re: Jim Garvie]
Julie Offline
Addict

Loc: TN
Those are awesome! Fun wasn't it? Makes you want to get a sighthound to play sighthound games laugh

#34862 - 04/19/11 06:58 AM Re: How The Professionals Do It [Re: Jim Garvie]
StarrLight Offline
Veteran

Loc: CA
Those are gorgeous. Love them all, especially the little terrier.

#34863 - 04/19/11 12:07 PM Re: How The Professionals Do It [Re: StarrLight]
Jim Garvie Offline
Addict

Julie, yes it really is a lot of fun but if you don't have a sound dog or one that is in really good condition, I wouldn't run it. Both of the kids are young, supple, strong and flexible. I'd never run Sundance even though he'd love it. I just can't see 130 lbs. of Rottie making those cuts.

Diana, that black and white dog is actually a Basenji which is a Sight Hound. In the CAT, 6 Parson Russell Terriers ran and they are totally crazy-fast. Also two Kerry Blue Terriers and they have incredible drive as well. Any dog with very high prey/play drive would do well in the CAT but there is no question that the Sight Hounds have both the drive and the physiology to do what they were bred to do. And it's awesome to watch them fly.

Jim

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
1 registered (russell), 210 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Poppy, sheril walker, WbN, sierravalleylabs, Jon Albert
3310 Registered Users
Forum Stats
3310 Members
13 Forums
6414 Topics
36650 Posts

Max Online: 513 @ 07/14/12 06:45 PM

Copyright 2005 - 2017 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer