04/17/11 10:43 AM
04/17/11 10:43 AM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline OP
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline OP
Addict

Florida
Yesterday, we had the opportunity to run Moxie and her evil twin brother, Ike, in a sport that used to be the exclusive domain of Sight Hounds -- Lure Coursing. Earlier this year, the AKC introduced the Coursing Ability Test (CAT) for all breeds and Julie Poole covered the very first CAT in Georgia in March. There were no Rottweilers in that first CAT and I'm not aware of any that have run in others but we thought it would be a great chance for Moxie and Ike. Moxie has had experience chasing a lure in the Doggie Fun Zone but Ike had never been exposed to the lure. Successfully completing 3 CATs will earn the dogs their CA title and there are additional levels that can be attained by completing additional runs. Dogs run individually and these tests were held on the same courses that the Sight Hounds ran in the Trial. We missed the early morning run since the site was over 2 hrs. from the house but made it for the afternoon run in 90-degree heat and bright sun.

Here's a shot of Moxie just after I released her for the start of her run.

Moxie zooming down the straightaway.

Coming at you.

Digging in for that first hard 90-degree turn.

Getting horizontal in the middle of it.

And digging out of it.

Ike impressing the horses with his speed.

Ike in full flight.

And bringing it home.

I'm proud to report that both pups earned their first qualifying ribbon for their runs. I'm even more proud to report what great kids they were the entire day. Moxie visited several laps of those watching the Trial and gave Rottie hugs. Ike was a perfect gentleman even when the Parson Russell Terriers were wailing like wounded pigs. Overall it was a great day and, for us, a great opportunity to watch Sight Hounds doing what they were bred for. Awesome!! If you ever get a chance to see Greyhounds, Whippets and other Hounds running in a Lure Coursing Trial, I highly recommend it. They can fly. Moxie and Ike can chug. But the day was tremendous fun for everyone.

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Re: Coursing Ability Test: Moxie's Excellent Adventure [Re: Jim Garvie] #34852
04/18/11 02:25 PM
04/18/11 02:25 PM
Manhattan, New York, New York
James Morrissey Offline
I
James Morrissey  Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

Manhattan, New York, New York
Hey Jim,

I really enjoyed this series. My favorite is the 3rd (and 9th) of the series. It really slams me with Moxie's sense of presence (Moxie, if you will). From a technical standpoint, are you shooting servo and tracking these? How many winners vs
losers did you get? Anyway, impressive - and a great story to boot!

James

Re: Coursing Ability Test: Moxie's Excellent Adventure [Re: James Morrissey] #34854
04/18/11 04:05 PM
04/18/11 04:05 PM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline OP
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline OP
Addict

Florida
Thanks James. Yes, I was shooting servo and my keeper rate was pretty high with them moving laterally to me although much worse with them coming straight at me. Nevertheless, I managed to get far more cool shots of all the dogs moving toward me than I expected. After all, I'm shooting with a Canon 40D and not a 1D Series. Moxie is getting to be a very interesting young lady. She really enjoys life and the more fun you can find for her, the better. She watched the Sight Hounds run the course and figured out how to do it. All I did was release her when the lure came by and then watched her and took photos. At the end, she simply waited for me to put the leash back on her. Several of the Hounds needed to be rounded up and captured after their runs so I'm sure the folks running the Trial were a little concerned about the Rotties. But both Moxie and Ike simply completed their runs and stood there while we put their leashes back on. As I said, I think we proved several things about these guys including that they are simply "good dogs" smile.

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Re: Coursing Ability Test: Moxie's Excellent Adventure [Re: Jim Garvie] #34861
04/19/11 02:56 AM
04/19/11 02:56 AM
CA
StarrLight Offline
Veteran
StarrLight  Offline
Veteran

CA
LOL, those are great! I love the fourth one, where she is digging, the look in her eyes, that's real determination.

Re: Coursing Ability Test: Moxie's Excellent Adventure [Re: StarrLight] #34868
04/20/11 06:16 AM
04/20/11 06:16 AM
Massachusetts, USA
L
Lesley Offline
Venturer
Lesley  Offline
Venturer
L

Massachusetts, USA
Very cool, Jim. I have been dying for this to come to New England. Could you tell me more about the test and how you trained for it? I am not sure Kelvin will chase a white cloth.... if his orange ball was attached then he would eat up the course, but my Airedale is a bullet and would most likely do very well chasing the "critter".

I also recognized that excited crazy expression on your Moxie... we see it often on Kelvin! Congrats!

Re: Coursing Ability Test: Moxie's Excellent Adventure [Re: Lesley] #34873
04/20/11 09:34 AM
04/20/11 09:34 AM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline OP
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline OP
Addict

Florida
Lesley, as the folks who run the test will tell you, there's really no training involved. Moxie had run the Doggie Fun Run which uses a lure to take the dogs through a course of Agility jumps, tunnels and A-frame so we knew she'd probably chase the lure. But Ike had never chased a lure before. So we let them both watch the other dogs chasing and they figured out what they were supposed to do. If anyone tells you these guys aren't smart and can't learn by watching, ignore them. They haven't been paying attention.

Once on the course, the willingness to continue to chase is a function of drive and determination. And that is what was so much fun to see in these puppies. The terrier breeds are relentless but you should see the Boxers. Awesome!!! If you have a dog that will chase a ball or frisbee or anything else you roll or toss, then chances are, it will course. But the best thing to do is get to the Test and let your dog(s) watch some of the others run. They'll get it! I'll email you the CAT schedule separately so you can check if they'll be in your area. More are being scheduled monthly and lots of them will be waiting for the Fall and cooler weather. Good luck and have fun.

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 355 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online629
Dec 4th, 2019

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer