NWPBanner
Welcome! NWPphotoforum.com
Topic Options
#34264 - 02/28/11 02:55 PM Which do you prefer
Jim Poor Offline
Addict

Loc: Virginia, USA
Meet MACH10 plus a couple USDAA titles Syndey.

Originally, I thought the longer ribbon's should be raised, but once I looked at the result, I didn't like it.

I think if I had a slanted platform under the main platform that would have allowed the ribbons to gradually go from tall to small, I'd have liked that better.

What do you think?

Visit my website

#34267 - 02/28/11 05:03 PM Re: Which do you prefer [Re: Jim Poor]
Sunstruck Offline
Old hand

Loc: Connecticut
Top one. The second one looks funny with the two longer ribbons higher. They are behind Sydney, so you cant see the ends of the ribbons anyways.

Tall on the outsides, graduated to the shortest in the middle would have looked better. That would have framed Sydney nicely.
[color:"#08c3c5"]www.pennyjwillsphotography.com[/color]

#34297 - 03/02/11 11:15 AM Re: Which do you prefer [Re: Sunstruck]
Lesley Offline
Venturer

Loc: Massachusetts, USA
I agree with Penny. I think the Sheltie gets lost in these shots. All I see is the ribbons and the dog is an after thought. I might try it like Penny wrote, but still it is a tough one with the coloring of this dog and it's size. When I shoot MACH portraits I never compose them with the rosettes on the MACH bar unless it is draped over the bar as it is propped horizontally and low infront of dog and/or handler. Too bad there wasn't a way to have the bars hanging on the back drop and arrange the Mach ribbons low and around the dog... it would draw the eye to the dog. JMHO

#34298 - 03/02/11 01:45 PM Re: Which do you prefer [Re: Jim Poor]
Jim Poor Offline
Addict

Interesting thoughts. I definitely agree that the one with the larger ribbons higher didn't work.

What I probably should have done was to use a longer (deeper) platform and have the dog more forward so she'd appear larger in the frame.

I actually prefer some of the frames where I zoomed in on the dog and didn't show all the ribbons, but I don't think the owner will go for those.

Visit my website

#34976 - 05/02/11 01:25 PM Re: Which do you prefer [Re: Jim Poor]
Visceral Image Offline
Old hand

Loc: st. petersburg, florida, usa a...
Agree Jim, you needed more depth so the dog was more central to the image; the Sheltie does seem to be lost in all the ribbons.

#35011 - 05/03/11 04:39 PM Re: Which do you prefer [Re: Jim Poor]
psmith Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Kansas
Sheltie? What Sheltie?

#35013 - 05/03/11 04:40 PM Re: Which do you prefer [Re: Jim Poor]
psmith Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Kansas
Jim, I would suggest trying to treat each of the round tops of the rosettes as a 'head' and pose this as a group shot. You wouldn't line up that many heads in a row. Just a suggestion.

#35024 - 05/03/11 11:40 PM Re: Which do you prefer [Re: Jim Poor]
Jim Poor Offline
Addict

Thanks again guys. Definitely a few things I would do differently given the opportunity.

Visit my website

#35058 - 05/04/11 10:13 PM Re: Which do you prefer [Re: psmith]
Visceral Image Offline
Old hand

Loc: st. petersburg, florida, usa a...
Originally Posted By: psmith
Sheltie? What Sheltie?

laugh

Who's Online
0 registered (), 164 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Poppy, sheril walker, WbN, sierravalleylabs, Jon Albert
3310 Registered Users
Forum Stats
3310 Members
13 Forums
6384 Topics
36608 Posts

Max Online: 513 @ 07/14/12 06:45 PM

Copyright ©2005 - 2017 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer