Visceral Image Offline OP
Old hand
Visceral Image  Offline OP
Old hand
V

st. petersburg, florida, usa a...
Julie

I have a dedicated website for pets, it is visceralimage.com

It is just not part of my signature line here on NWP but it is the site given to pet related customers.

Re: My First Two Shows, Advice Please [Re: Jim Poor] #35071
05/05/11 08:24 AM
05/05/11 08:24 AM
V
Old hand
Old hand
V

Originally Posted By: Jim Poor

Do you have a name? Some of us may know him/her.

Alec Billing's Photography

Re: My First Two Shows, Advice Please [Re: Visceral Image] #35072
05/05/11 08:27 AM
05/05/11 08:27 AM
Virginia, USA
Jim Poor Offline
Addict
Jim Poor  Offline
Addict

Virginia, USA
Originally Posted By: Visceral Image

Do you have a name? Some of us may know him/her.

Alec Billing's Photography

alecbillings. com/

Last edited by Julie; 05/05/11 09:25 AM.
Re: My First Two Shows, Advice Please [Re: Jim Poor] #35073
05/05/11 08:31 AM
05/05/11 08:31 AM
Virginia, USA
Jim Poor Offline
Addict
Jim Poor  Offline
Addict

Virginia, USA
To me, his work doesn't do much to dissuade the public from the negative image of the bully breeds, but then again, neither does the page of the event, so maybe that's the direction it takes?

I just don't see the combative, militaristic almost war-focused banner as promoting the breed in a positive light.

Re: My First Two Shows, Advice Please [Re: Jim Poor] #35074
05/05/11 08:41 AM
05/05/11 08:41 AM
V
Old hand
Old hand
V

I also found his webpage after I posted his name, somehow it did not show yesterday when I was searching for him.

Seems he is also owner of Bully breed so I expect he is well connected and known well by many. I agree, the event seems to be similar to Daytona Bike Week with many negative impressions.

He does not have any studio images so maybe he is not doing on-site shots, other than outside or in the ring. He has a 10x10 booth; I will have a 10x20

Jim; I am sure many of the owners will want the tough mean look for their portraits but some may also want the gentle side of their dog. I will make sure to get both types

Re: My First Two Shows, Advice Please [Re: Visceral Image] #35075
05/05/11 09:28 AM
05/05/11 09:28 AM
TN
Julie Offline
Addict
Julie  Offline
Addict

TN
I unlinked the link, as if they are anything like me, they will look at their analytics to see who is linking to them and that is not always a good thing

Re: My First Two Shows, Advice Please [Re: Visceral Image] #35076
05/05/11 09:32 AM
05/05/11 09:32 AM
TN
Julie Offline
Addict
Julie  Offline
Addict

TN
Jim, I don't think it looks like he is promoting the breed in a negative manner. They don't have a sweet cuddly goofy look. They are powerful dogs. They should LOOK like powerful dogs. He is catering to the owners, not pet people.

I don't see the banner as being combative and warlike? Is it the fact it is black? APBT are not bichon's. Its kinda like when I have had non whipppet conformation class people pick my whippets tail up in the air trying to make it look like a sporting dog. I had to tell them to stop, it was wrong for the whippet breed.

I am sure some will be looking for sweet portraits and nothing smiles quite like these dogs!!

Re: My First Two Shows, Advice Please [Re: Julie] #35077
05/05/11 09:37 AM
05/05/11 09:37 AM
V
Old hand
Old hand
V

I have photographed a few bully breeds in the past; I love them and their personalities. Personally, I am more of a Choc Lab type dog person but these breeds have a unique charm also.

Re: My First Two Shows, Advice Please [Re: Julie] #35078
05/05/11 09:49 AM
05/05/11 09:49 AM
Virginia, USA
Jim Poor Offline
Addict
Jim Poor  Offline
Addict

Virginia, USA
Originally Posted By: Julie
Jim, I don't think it looks like he is promoting the breed in a negative manner. They don't have a sweet cuddly goofy look. They are powerful dogs. They should LOOK like powerful dogs. He is catering to the owners, not pet people.

I don't see the banner as being combative and warlike? Is it the fact it is black? APBT are not bichon's. Its kinda like when I have had non whipppet conformation class people pick my whippets tail up in the air trying to make it look like a sporting dog. I had to tell them to stop, it was wrong for the whippet breed.

I am sure some will be looking for sweet portraits and nothing smiles quite like these dogs!!

I think it's possible to show power without menace. The event banner is definitely (at least in my eyes) menacing.

Re: My First Two Shows, Advice Please [Re: Jim Poor] #35079
05/05/11 09:57 AM
05/05/11 09:57 AM
V
Old hand
Old hand
V

Originally Posted By: Julie

I think it's possible to show power without menace. The event banner is definitely (at least in my eyes) menacing.

The poster does have an initial negative look but it is aimed at owners of this breed; I don't find it offensive or negative. Here in Florida, we frequently see posters for Bike Week, the posters in the Harley shops are always "guy in wife beater t-shirt and girl on back with little covering her topsides"-this is also a group with image problems that tries to project a good public image but also privately enjoys the negative image.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 343 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online629
Dec 4th, 2019

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer