st. petersburg, florida, usa a...
V
Visceral Image Offline OP
Old hand
Visceral Image  Offline OP
Old hand
V

I have never done a show, much less something like James did for the Westminister. Based on his excellent article and some of the advice here on NWP, I have decided to do two shows. They are one day events, dog shows for the Bully Breeds. I have reserved a double booth for both shows (10x20) based on James recommendation. I plan to have black, white, mottled red and a gray backdrop; a similar light setup to what James showed except my forward light is a 48x36 softbox.

I have so many questions I do not know where to start. How do you get customers; I plan to offer same deal as James, no sitting fee, only pay for prints? Do you do showing of images on-site or do them later via website? How long between shoots, I am thinking maybe 30 minutes or is that not enough time? These are only single day events so would need to keep shoots fairly short. I will have an experience handler to help me. Please offer any advice.

Re: My First Two Shows, Advice Please [Re: Visceral Image] #35059
05/04/11 08:11 PM
05/04/11 08:11 PM
Virginia, USA
Jim Poor Offline
Addict
Jim Poor  Offline
Addict

Virginia, USA
How to get customers.

Talk to folks. Will the show promote you?

I'm not a fan of the no fee model. I want at least something up front even if it is bundled into a package.

On site proofing can be awesome if you have time to do it, but if things get busy it's a pain. More than an experienced handler, I'd say you need someone to run your proofing/viewing if you do it on site.

Are taking appointments only or walk-ins?

At my fundraisers, I do 4-6 sessions per hour during the busies times. Proofing is done during the slow periods or after the show on the website. I have had good luck selling pre-paid packages with no viewing at all, but this is at shows where the folks have seen me for a few times now.

Re: My First Two Shows, Advice Please [Re: Jim Poor] #35061
05/04/11 10:41 PM
05/04/11 10:41 PM
V
Old hand
Old hand
V

Thanks Jim;

The show has agreed that I can put up prints for advertising; it is relatively small shows so no real advertising. No appointments, only walk-ins.

All the dogs will be Bully breeds so that should help a bit with background selections. I have ability to accept credit cards.

I understand the need for someone to handle the proofing but that would also require time from me to edit the images and setup the viewing so they could do the showing of the images. I just have no clue how busy I will be; it is only a one day show so I expect it will be a bit "fast forward"

I can see the need to do appointments if it starts getting busy.

If I break even or make a small amount over expenses, I will be happy. I just returned from Russia so my primary mission is to get my name seen by others and to also get more experience. There is a big difference photographing tigers in Siberia and dogs at a show.

Jim, I am sure you remember your struggle a couple years to get started in this business. I remember well our exchanges on various threads on this forum and other nature related forums.

Re: My First Two Shows, Advice Please [Re: Visceral Image] #35062
05/04/11 10:47 PM
05/04/11 10:47 PM
V
Old hand
Old hand
V

Giving this more thought, I can see dividing the day into 1/2 hr blocks. I do the photography for the first 15 minutes, load the images and quick edit, then handler helps the client with selections and order. If they run longer, I can move on to next shoot without use of handler (use owner or other person as handler, if needed). I can see the value of getting the impulse buy; maybe less clients get images photographed but more commit for orders that day. An 8 hr day is 16 slots of 30 minutes each; I would be more than happy with 16 different sessions.

Re: My First Two Shows, Advice Please [Re: Visceral Image] #35063
05/05/11 06:59 AM
05/05/11 06:59 AM
Virginia, USA
Jim Poor Offline
Addict
Jim Poor  Offline
Addict

Virginia, USA
The person doing your proofing should be someone you trust to do the editing, culling, etc. Otherwise, they really don't save you much time.

Speaking of conversations from a couple years ago, there was one thread where I was lamenting the choice of onsite proofing. Basically, no time to do a proper edit before showing folks images. I've gotten better at it, but still prefer to sell pre-paid packages and let them select the photos later.

The problem with walk-in sessions is that you'll finish one and there will another standing there waiting. If you're like me, you won't want to keep them waiting or have them walk away, so you'll jump right in. It gets crazy sometimes.

15 minutes sounds like plenty of time for proofing until you figure that even with a very fast work flow, you've got:

1-2 minutes to upload (unless you shoot tethered, but that will be tough with dogs)

2 minutes to cull (and that's REALLY fast)

In your 10-ish minutes left, you'll have clients who won't sit down and get to it, or that take a long time to decide what they like.

What kind of shows are we talking about? Is this a conformation thing, a rescue event or something else?

How will the show schedule affect client availability?

Re: My First Two Shows, Advice Please [Re: Visceral Image] #35064
05/05/11 07:23 AM
05/05/11 07:23 AM
V
Old hand
Old hand
V

Thanks Jim

Here is a link to one of the shows
http://www.memorialdaybullyexpo.com/

Thanks for your advice, very valuable. No way would I shoot tethered, I move around to much.

Could you tell me a bit more about pre-paid packages? What are these packages, approx. price range, etc.

Re: My First Two Shows, Advice Please [Re: Visceral Image] #35065
05/05/11 07:30 AM
05/05/11 07:30 AM
Virginia, USA
Jim Poor Offline
Addict
Jim Poor  Offline
Addict

Virginia, USA
These are the packages I offered at BTCA Nats. Clients bought them without viewing proofs. Some came back later to pick, but I was there for a whole week.

Basic Collection (single pose): $80
-Two Gift Prints*

Expanded Collection (two poses): $120
-Four Gift Prints*
-PLUS 10% off additional a la carte prints

Artisan Collection (Multiple poses): $175
-One 11x14 Wall Print
-Four Gift Prints*
-20% off additional a la carte prints
-20% off digital files

Master Collection (Multiple poses) $250
-One 16x20 Wall Print
-Four Gift Prints*
-25% off additional a la carte prints
-50% off high res disc of all images or individual digital files
* Gift prints are standard prints, 8x10 and smaller. Regularly priced $50 each a la carte.
Free web optimized digital file with each image purchased as a print.

Re: My First Two Shows, Advice Please [Re: Jim Poor] #35067
05/05/11 07:51 AM
05/05/11 07:51 AM
V
Old hand
Old hand
V

At first glance, I can tell my prices are way to low.

There will be another photographer there (as a vendor); no idea of his/her qualifications as can not find a website or much on the internet about them.

Maybe a good alternate to on-site proofing is to use my 27" iMac to show the images shot at this event; kinda of like a running slide show that has no human interaction. Of course, that would require I quickly edit some images to put in the slideshow.

Re: My First Two Shows, Advice Please [Re: Visceral Image] #35068
05/05/11 07:57 AM
05/05/11 07:57 AM
TN
Julie Offline
Addict
Julie  Offline
Addict

TN
OK, my first suggestion is to get a 2nd website dedicated to pets only. When I go on yours, pets are a distant afterthought.

Here is what I did for our National. Much less expensive than my usual prices. I most bought the upper two offerings and then added on

Re: My First Two Shows, Advice Please [Re: Visceral Image] #35069
05/05/11 08:07 AM
05/05/11 08:07 AM
Virginia, USA
Jim Poor Offline
Addict
Jim Poor  Offline
Addict

Virginia, USA
Originally Posted By: Visceral Image
At first glance, I can tell my prices are way to low.

There will be another photographer there (as a vendor); no idea of his/her qualifications as can not find a website or much on the internet about them.

Maybe a good alternate to on-site proofing is to use my 27" iMac to show the images shot at this event; kinda of like a running slide show that has no human interaction. Of course, that would require I quickly edit some images to put in the slideshow.

Do you have a name? Some of us may know him/her.

I use the slide show on my iMacs to get folks looking. You can start with a few "portfolio" shots and add shots from the current event as time permits.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 358 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online629
Dec 4th, 2019

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer