Manhattan, New York, New York
James Morrissey Offline OP
I
James Morrissey  Offline OP
I
Carpal Tunnel

Hey Everyone,

Is anyone here using a hand held GPS device for when you go shooting? I am debating picking one up. Any advice on features to look for, and what I can get the most bang for my buck with will be appreciated.

James

Re: Hand held GPS devices [Re: James Morrissey] #35600
06/27/11 12:39 PM
06/27/11 12:39 PM
Nashville Tennessee
Durwood Edwards Offline
Old hand
Durwood Edwards  Offline
Old hand

Nashville Tennessee
I have a Garmin 60CSx. It is quite full-featured and very readable. I do not, as yet connect it to my camera directly, (although with a couple of adapter cables you can do this) but have used "Photo Tracker" software that coordinates the time stamps (camera and gps) and, in post processing, can identify the location where the picture is shot.

I mainly have it to assist me in hikes at new, unlearned locations, to get home before people start worrying about me. wink

Durwood Edwards
www.joelton.org

"Never miss a good chance to shut-up!" - Will Rogers
Re: Hand held GPS devices [Re: Durwood Edwards] #35605
06/27/11 11:43 PM
06/27/11 11:43 PM
I
I
Carpal Tunnel

Thanks, Durwood! Let me ask you, how easy is it to download the information into your car's GPS?

Thanks
James

Re: Hand held GPS devices [Re: James Morrissey] #35622
06/29/11 06:22 PM
06/29/11 06:22 PM
Tucson, Arizona, USA
Tucson Jim Offline
Old hand
Tucson Jim  Offline
Old hand

Tucson, Arizona, USA
James:

Do you plan on using it for land navigation purposes, for geo-tagging photos, or both? I have a JOBO photoGPS that sits in the hot shoe and works extremely well for geo-tagging images, but that is all it is good for.

The biggest positives are:

1. It is extremely fast and accurate in the field.

2. The software is very fast and easy to use.

The biggest negatives are;

1. You need an internet connection to geo-tag images rather than having the mapping data on a file on your own computer. The unit will store at least 2,000 or 4,000 locations depending on the model and you can save its contents to a file on your computer/laptop for later use when you do have an internet connection.

2. It only writes the gps data into the EXIF data for jpeg's. It creates a sidecar file for RAW files.

Jim

Re: Hand held GPS devices [Re: Tucson Jim] #35672
07/04/11 02:29 PM
07/04/11 02:29 PM
I
I
Carpal Tunnel

Hi,

Essentially, I guess I am interested in geo-tagging. Not necessarily in the form of "place tripod here," but to be able to make sure that I can get easily back in the future. For example, I am going to Maine in a few weeks, and we will be up by the Canadian border. I will be out 'in the woods' for much of it - and in places I have never been before. It would be nice to be able to tag a location, be able to port it to my Tomtom and be able to get back in the future.

James

Re: Hand held GPS devices [Re: James Morrissey] #35718
07/07/11 05:00 PM
07/07/11 05:00 PM
Nashville Tennessee
Durwood Edwards Offline
Old hand
Durwood Edwards  Offline
Old hand

Nashville Tennessee
James,

I have never tried to transfer the info to my car GPS.

Durwood Edwards
www.joelton.org

"Never miss a good chance to shut-up!" - Will Rogers
Re: Hand held GPS devices [Re: James Morrissey] #35719
07/07/11 09:08 PM
07/07/11 09:08 PM
Alaska, USA
W
Warren Offline
Wanderer
Warren  Offline
Wanderer
W

Alaska, USA
Top of the Day James,

Assuming that your TomTom is similar to most auto Garmin GPS and will run on battery, turn your TomTom on, throw it into your pocket or camera bag, and go into the woods taking photos. Your TomTom should be tracking your every turn as you walk and recording this information into a file in memory that can be downloaded to your computer and used for such goodies as geotagging the photos you took on the hike. If you come to a point on the hike that you may want to return to later, set a waypoint for that location that will be stored in GPS memory.

Plug your TomTom back into its car charger and drive to your next hike. If you take photos while driving and the TomTom is on, there will be downloadable "tracking" information for those photos too.

Battery life on my Garmin 265wt is about 4 hours. Wish I could turn the screen off.

If you use Windows PC, take a look a freeware GeoSetter for geotagging photos. There is geotagging software for Macs also but I have no experience with any of it. GeoSetter will generate the files needed to view your 'track' and corresponding photo thumbnails on Google Earth which is kind of cool.

Cheers!

Warren

Re: Hand held GPS devices [Re: Warren] #35741
07/10/11 11:08 PM
07/10/11 11:08 PM
Salt Lake City, Utah
Marty Everhard Offline
Old hand
Marty Everhard  Offline
Old hand

Salt Lake City, Utah
James, I use a Garmin Vista CX, for my hikes. You can upload your tracks to Google Earth, and generate topographic maps easily once you learn how. Very useful, and you can mark waypoints easily. I use it every hike and ski tour. They make even more elaborate ones, but this basic older unit serves me well.

Recomend ability to upload extra maps, in particular Topo's, ie extra storage card. The best antennae you can afford, the newer ones lose the signal less and are more accurate. Large color screen, And a well read instruction book.

Last edited by Marty Everhard; 07/11/11 12:35 AM.
Re: Hand held GPS devices [Re: Marty Everhard] #36398
09/11/11 11:59 PM
09/11/11 11:59 PM
dakota
B
briansmith Offline
Wanderer
briansmith  Offline
Wanderer
B

dakota
As for hikes, I believe most of the handheld gps can meet your needs.

As for geotagging, only some of Nikon, Sony, Pentax, Fuji can geotag directly. http://www.photolife.com/blog/?tag=gps

And I am just waiting for one which can both do the geotag and show hike routes.

brian

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 341 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online629
Dec 4th, 2019

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer