Alaska
D
DavidRamey Offline OP
Veteran
DavidRamey  Offline OP
Veteran
D

Alaska
I spent the past 3 days tracking Sand Hill Cranes. I heard them from my backyard and took a compass reading of the direction I heard them. I tried to find them in my Van by driving the roads around my house. Then I decided I own Hi Tech equipment, so why not use it? I took a GPS reading of where I took the compass reading in my backyard. I went on my laptop for my Garmin topo map program and marked my GPS location. Then I added the compass reading and found where that direction would intersect 2 different roads and noted the GPS co-ordinates. I drove to the first road that my compass reading would intersect, the GPS got me to within 10 feet of where it should have been. I stopped the car and listened and found the Sand Hill Cranes were feeding in a horse pature. I then did some research and found out who owned the pasture. I gave them a call to get permission to set up a portable blind to photograph the Sand Hill Cranes. I was denied because they didn't want to get sued if a horse stomped me. I HATE LAWYERS AND WHAT THEY ARE DOING TO RUIN THIS COUNTRY!!!!!!! Now I start over and try to find out where else this flock of Sand Hill Cranes go.

David Ramey Photography
Re: Sand Hill Cranes [Re: DavidRamey] #3586
05/14/06 08:14 PM
05/14/06 08:14 PM
Manhattan, New York, New York
James Morrissey Offline
I
James Morrissey  Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

Hey David,

I am afraid that lawyers are not the problem. I know several attorneys - most of whom are very good people. If there is a problem with society, I think it is us. By us, obviously, I am not speaking of individuals per say but 'us' as a collective.

For a long time when I started my work, I lived in fear of making a big mistake and getting sued. As I am not the sort who likes to live with anxiety, I seriously re-considered my calling after having a falling out with a drunk groom at a very fancy wedding here in the City a few years ago.

After some reflection, I realized that at least part of the problem was who I was dealing with and the choices I was making. Now adays, I do not work with anyone who makes me feel uncomfortable - even slightly. The money is not worth it. I run a clean business and I work hard to make sure that I give my people a product that I am proud of. However, sometimes when money is tight, I was choosing to work with people who I was not thrilled with as human beings.

It is easy to say that lawyers are the problem - I don't think that they are. They are a vehicle to take us where we want to go. Everyone wants easy money and they use the legal system to get there.

The folks at this facility obviously felt uncomfortable with you setting a blind up in their area. I wonder what they have gone through in the past.

James

Re: Sand Hill Cranes [Re: James Morrissey] #3587
05/14/06 08:31 PM
05/14/06 08:31 PM
Alaska
D
DavidRamey Offline OP
Veteran
DavidRamey  Offline OP
Veteran
D

Alaska
Hi James,
I do blame the attorneys because they are the ones that go out and take these BS cases and actually gets our laws changed within the courts. I guess I am getting to be a dinosaur. I remember a time in the USA when you could go on a farmer's property and photograph or hunt and the farmers never thought about being sued. I look at it this way, if a farmer gives me permission to go on his property and I get bit, tromped, kicked, or just slip in the horse manure and fall, that is by my own stupidity and it is my responsibily, not the farmer's. I mean, what the hell is the use of me buying Liability insurance if I can't get access to photograph because the landowner's are afraid of being sued? Like I said, I am a Dinosaur and remember a time when the USA meant individual freedoms and individual responsibilities.

I will find another place to photograph the Sand Hill Cranes.

David Ramey Photography
Re: Sand Hill Cranes [Re: DavidRamey] #3588
05/14/06 09:44 PM
05/14/06 09:44 PM
Montana
Tony Bynum Offline
Pooh-Bah
Tony Bynum  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Montana
You both are right as far as I can tell. I ride for the brand - litterally. I must say, I'd never have had half the fun in my life if not for good people who trust one another, and take responsiblity for themselves.

I'd own some nice ranches by now if I'd a sued the owners for all the broken body parts I've had while branding calvs, ropen steers, riding bronks, yada yada yada!

If not for our trust of one-another and personal responsiblity, nothing around here would ever get done. . . We cant expect to get paid for everything we do, and no matter what we do, there are risks. I live in a good place, a place where I know my skills are needed, and there's no one that's going get all leagal on you if you make a mistake, or slip-up. . .

Re: Sand Hill Cranes [Re: DavidRamey] #3589
05/15/06 08:58 AM
05/15/06 08:58 AM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline
Addict

Florida
I agree with David: get rid of the lawyers. James, I can't believe you've met more than one you could actually stand. And, yes, one of my best friends is a lawyer. She's still apologizing.

BTW, David if you want to take photos of Sand Hill Cranes, come to my place. They walk through my backyard every day. And you don't need a blind.

Cheers,

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Re: Sand Hill Cranes [Re: Jim Garvie] #3590
05/17/06 12:24 AM
05/17/06 12:24 AM
James Morrissey Offline
I
James Morrissey  Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

LOL. Sigh. You guys are a tough crowd. All I am trying to say is that I do not feel that lawyers, in and of themselves are bad. I think that in any profession there are the good, the bad and the ugly.

Having said that, I am always disappointed when situations like David's occurs. It is a sad statement about society.

James

Re: Sand Hill Cranes [Re: James Morrissey] #3591
05/17/06 12:19 PM
05/17/06 12:19 PM
Alaska
D
DavidRamey Offline OP
Veteran
DavidRamey  Offline OP
Veteran
D

Alaska
Up here you can judge the weather by watching the attorneys. If it is really cold, they have their hands in their OWN pockets.

David Ramey Photography

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 180 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online876
Apr 25th, 2024

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer