08/21/11 10:56 PM
Manhattan, New York, New York
James Morrissey Offline OP
I
James Morrissey  Offline OP
I
Carpal Tunnel

Richard Strange Continues His 2010 Photo Journey through the State of Washington.

Re: Richard Strange - 2010 Photo Tour Part VIII [Re: James Morrissey] #36112
08/21/11 11:01 PM
08/21/11 11:01 PM
James Morrissey Offline OP
I
James Morrissey  Offline OP
I
Carpal Tunnel

The rich farmlands of Washington also provide another source of delight if you travel the byways. Birds of prey can be found along the fences and pole lines. Oh, did I mention that already? Have I mentioned how much I love the birds? I played with a couple of red tails and on an old dirt road outside of Colfax I happened onto a couple of Kestrels. I drove along the old farm to where I was out of view, turned back and then drove past the other way as to not alarm them. Once out of view, I turned around once again and readied my 300 for the slow drive-by. Moving slowly with window down and the autofocus zoned into the pole tops, I approached my quarry with hope but low expectations as Kestrels are quick and skittish. Just when I was beside them and thinking I could get them both posed on the pole, I hesitated, they bolted, and I did get a flight shot in the three image sequence with both birds aloft. A fine shot it was, as was the bridge, and were the barns.

I spent the night in a motel in Colfax, Washington and combed through my maps evaluating my time and potential routes. I had overspent my time in every State so far, and autumn chooses to wait no longer. It is time to make a pass through Idaho and on to Glacier in hope of seeing color, maybe some bears and potentially a break in the weather. Meandering along the Lochsa River in Idaho is one of the finest drives in the country. It’s the primary route between Lewiston and Missoula and is rich with historic lore, wondrous topographic features and some of the finest roadside rivers in America. It can best be described as beautiferous. However, a short venture to the south in Idaho was also in the stars and I can only say, I love this country.

This was a wonderful day with an occasional break in the clouds sandwiched between the showers, making way for a few good autumn images while motoring my way across the State. Although besieged by rain for several days, I downloaded the past couple days images while spending the night in an RV Park north of Missoula. I like to send a few email sized images to friends along the way, but it seems a while since I’ve found a free wifi to catch up on my chores. Should’ve been keepin’ up along the way, especially with all the rain, but sometimes I just get plain lazy. I feel I have possibly slighted Idaho on this trip. The back roads, the Sawtooth Mountains and Craters of the Moon are all worthy of time as well as the northern panhandle.

My trip up 93 the next morning was in pouring rain so I decided to take a diversion through the National Bison Range. Wasn’t much to photograph but I did catch a Whitetail Buck in some rather dim light and through the rain. I expect to see Mule Deer in this part of the country so a white tail was surprising; but not nearly as surprising as Grizzlies gettin’ at it along the Hungry Horse. Again, special photographs will often surprise you and they may not be by design. You have your cameras ready and hope to be lucky...

Editor's Note: Expecting to see some Grizzlies? They are coming next week...

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 350 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online629
Dec 4th, 2019

Copyright �2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer