09/11/11 05:25 PM
09/11/11 05:25 PM
Canada
Nicole St-Onge Offline OP
Tracker
Nicole St-Onge  Offline OP
Tracker

Canada
Being new-ish to pet photography I never even knew that there was a market for purebred photography or photography at the shows until just recently. Unfortunately my area does not host a lot of these type of events. However, I feel that my style is more suite to creatively photograph the family dog/cat, the fur-babies.

Thanks for the advice Jim and Rachel. I think I was kind of able to answer some of my own questions and at least reaffirm the changes that I already know I need to make.

Last edited by Nicole St-Onge; 09/11/11 05:25 PM.
Re: Ways To Market Yourself [Re: Nicole St-Onge] #36429
09/14/11 09:23 AM
09/14/11 09:23 AM
Kansas
psmith Offline
Pooh-Bah
psmith  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Kansas
I think if you are working with 'pets' then you may want to work on the pet/owner connection in some of your photographs.

When I looked at your link, I saw some technically nice photographs. But many were missing the element of personality.

Loved the milkbone on the nose.

If you are doing mainly dogs, take a look at some of Julie Poole's work.

Re: Ways To Market Yourself [Re: psmith] #36436
09/14/11 11:04 AM
09/14/11 11:04 AM
Canada
Tracker
Tracker

Canada
Originally Posted By: psmith
When I looked at your link, I saw some technically nice photographs. But many were missing the element of personality.

Thanks for the input. I've always preferred studio work over shooting outside. I haven't had too many request yet to photograph dogs with their owners.

When you say the element of personality is missing can you expend on this for me?

Re: Ways To Market Yourself [Re: psmith] #36437
09/14/11 11:05 AM
09/14/11 11:05 AM
TN
Julie Offline
Addict
Julie  Offline
Addict

TN
With marketing, you have to offer something that others can't do. Whether it is a style, a product, or just *something* that sets you apart from others.

Then you need to create urgency. How many of us say "Oh, that looks nice" Or "That's a good deal" but, if there is no urgency, we put it off. I raise my hand on that one.

Then, start targeting true pet owners. I am a pet owner. I have 4 dogs. I would be targeted as upper middle class. You'd NEVER get me to spend money on photography. Its not what I personally value. I don't spend money on great clothes. I don't care. I like them, but not enough to part with my money.

Some of my best clients would not have been in my targeted market had I gone off the book. It isn't how much someone has, its how much someone wants it and how much they value it. We ALL value things differently. I've spent a small fortune on dog showing and camera stuff and horses, but, pictures or expensive handbags? NO.

First and foremost you must give a reason that will make people choose you.

Re: Ways To Market Yourself [Re: Julie] #36438
09/14/11 11:11 AM
09/14/11 11:11 AM
Virginia, USA
Jim Poor Offline
Addict
Jim Poor  Offline
Addict

Virginia, USA
I've begun to re-think the whole "create urgency" bit. At least re-think the way I go about it. Gallery expiration dates don't seem to cut it, and Early Bird Discounts don't do a lot either.

Perhaps, I should switch to an "Early Bird Bonus" instead.

Last edited by Jim Poor; 09/14/11 11:11 AM.
Re: Ways To Market Yourself [Re: Julie] #36440
09/14/11 11:15 AM
09/14/11 11:15 AM
TN
Julie Offline
Addict
Julie  Offline
Addict

TN
Oh, and pet parade, pet fairs,and things like that will get you out in the public eye, but, mostly draw in the want it for $5 a photo crowd.

Re: Ways To Market Yourself [Re: Julie] #36444
09/14/11 04:20 PM
09/14/11 04:20 PM
Canada
Tracker
Tracker

Canada
Originally Posted By: Julie
Oh, and pet parade, pet fairs,and things like that will get you out in the public eye, but, mostly draw in the want it for $5 a photo crowd.

I hear you loud and clear! Lessons have been learned this summer and now it's time to move forward and better myself. I really appreciate all the wonderful advice and comments, thank you. I've been learning a LOT about the creating value and urgency. Anyone have any suggested good reads?

Re: Ways To Market Yourself [Re: Nicole St-Onge] #36452
09/15/11 09:14 AM
09/15/11 09:14 AM
Kansas
psmith Offline
Pooh-Bah
psmith  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Kansas
Originally Posted By: Nicole St-Onge
When you say the element of personality is missing can you expend on this for me?

Hard to describe, its more of a feeling. Maybe it is the lack of direct eye contact in many of the shots. Or maybe it is the angles that show parts of the animal but not all. I guess I just want to feel more of a connection with the images.

Re: Ways To Market Yourself [Re: Julie] #36454
09/15/11 12:17 PM
09/15/11 12:17 PM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline
Addict

Florida
Quote:

Julie, I agree. However, it's different with dog shows, for example, where you can actually book the work. Whether it's worth the cost of the booth and booth space is another issue entirely but if it gives you clients, exposure and an opportunity to increase your portfolio, it might be worth it.

Finding a target market that is defined as folks who own pets and are likely to make an impulse-buy is kinda difficult. There needs to be some additional way to find them prior to them standing in front of you wanting your product. Whether that's demographics, psychographics, lifestyle or whatever, you need to be able to reach them regardless of your media preferences. Have you ever profiled your client list to come up with a profile (or profiles) of your best buyer(s)?

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Re: Ways To Market Yourself [Re: Jim Garvie] #36466
09/15/11 05:34 PM
09/15/11 05:34 PM
TN
Julie Offline
Addict
Julie  Offline
Addict

TN
My best buyers are those who have rescued a pet from a shelter, do not have children, have purchased a doodley style dog(the ones that spend a fortune on them do well with me too)and Doctors are very good clients.

Engineers and scientific clients don't tend to open their wallet as much. People in sales or who work in group style jobs will.

Single women spend more than couples as a rule. If the husband comes, they spend less.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 551 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online629
Dec 4th, 2019

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer