09/29/11 09:35 PM
09/29/11 09:35 PM
Illinois
Peggy Sue Offline
Pooh-Bah
Peggy Sue  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Illinois
I must have dozed off when this one came up but I am enjoying catching up on the comments. I have always enjoyed the critique section and yes, I wish it got more comments. I also know that some people cannot take a critique as an honest opinion and that hopefully it is given with best intentions to help that person grow in their art. I have probably learned the most from good critiques when I really listened and then chose to agree or disagree with that person.

My biggest problem with sharing to "newbies" is they when they post only for themselves and give no input to others. Okay, I will lurk around a new person and see if they are wanting to learn or just here to agree with them that they are good enough to make money at this profession.

I also have learned well by having someone show me what they meant. Some people do not want anyone to touch their work. We all input differently but what I like most about this site is the variety and I can learn just as much from what Roman does as from a newbie with a new approach.

Hopefully we will continue to share as well as we have and remember that the chef will probably not give away the whole recipe but a few ingredients might let you create your own masterpiece. smile

Peggy Sue
Re: Common Photoshop Problems/Education [Re: Peggy Sue] #36667
09/30/11 09:28 AM
09/30/11 09:28 AM
Portland Oregon
RomanJohnston Offline
Pooh-Bah
RomanJohnston  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Portland Oregon
The original question included highly detailed processes. This I would not share with anyone. It took me 8 years of hard work to get where I got. (and I think I still have a lot of growing to do) so my exact detailed step by step process, I am not ready to share.

I think it is very evident though that when people are having problems, I am one to share what I know relative to that problem. Many pieces and generic conversations here contain much of my process, but nothing concise and all encompassing.

I don't find anyone here a "business threat". I just don't want my start to finish recipe posted here for anyone to just copy. Once on the web, it is much more than just a direct answer to a direct question, it is open to all.

And our goals as a photographer should be to grow into a process that makes our work and how it looks our "signature".

I usually point people looking for photoshop advice to the Kelby Training site. They have people like Dan Margulis there that more than I could ever know, ready to teach all kind of things and an easy to understand and concise way. I usually point people to people I have learned from so that they can learn and put their own twist on it.

Maybe some day when I am an old fart and no longer trying to be competitive in the market, I might do exactly that (and I am sure it will be a much more evolved process than it is even today)

EDIT: Side note to Tyler, I looked back at your Central Oregon post and saw that you got at least 3 replies of which I was one. So are we on the same page, or do you have a second post that I didn't see?!?

Roman

Last edited by RomanJohnston; 09/30/11 03:08 PM.
Re: Common Photoshop Problems/Education [Re: RomanJohnston] #36673
09/30/11 04:43 PM
09/30/11 04:43 PM
Manhattan, New York, New York
James Morrissey Offline OP
I
James Morrissey  Offline OP
I
Carpal Tunnel

Manhattan, New York, New York
Would folks be interested in a "Photoshop Club?" i.e. I was thinking about something in line with the monthly photo contest, which has been pretty popular (though this month looks like we won't get too many entries). i.e. trying to get folks to put up an image that we like compositionally - but could use some work in PS and see if folks are willing to tweek it and give some advice as to how to improve the over-all image.....

Thoughts?

James

Re: Common Photoshop Problems/Education [Re: James Morrissey] #36675
09/30/11 04:55 PM
09/30/11 04:55 PM
Virginia, USA
Jim Poor Offline
Addict
Jim Poor  Offline
Addict

Virginia, USA
What about a "get help here" section? Sorta brainstorming at the moment waiting for a client to show up, but . . .

Re: Common Photoshop Problems/Education [Re: James Morrissey] #36681
09/30/11 11:35 PM
09/30/11 11:35 PM
Portland Oregon
RomanJohnston Offline
Pooh-Bah
RomanJohnston  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Portland Oregon
That I have no problem at all with, In fact I love playing with shots and helping create new vision of the work captured.

Roman

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 547 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online629
Dec 4th, 2019

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer