M
Marie Mitchell Photography Offline OP
Old hand
Marie Mitchell Photography  Offline OP
Old hand
M

Augusta, GA
Hi all,
The first week of October we headed to Cades Cove and spent 2 days there, photographing the entire time! The first day was spent photographing along the Laurel Falls trail, and along the Little River Road. The second day was spent completely in Cades Cove photographing the mountains, wildlife, rivers and some of the buildings. We had so much fun, we did not want to leave! My only regret is that we did not actually stay in Cades Cove, and we drove around the Cove instead of biking or hiking. When you go on the tour in a vehicle, the park does not open til 8am, so I missed the sun coming up in some of the spots. Overall, though, I am happy with some of the images taken.
Hope you enjoy these!

Image #1-This was taken along the Little River Road.

Image #2-This was also taken along the Little River Road, but closer to Laurel Falls area.

Image #3-Wood Aster-taken on the Laurel Falls walking trail.

Image #4-Yellow Ragwort-This was also taken on the Laurel Falls walking trail.

Image #5-River's Edge-Also taken along the Little River Road.

Image #6-Momma and baby deer. This was taken in the first official stop in Cades Cove.

Image #7-Autumns Path-Taken in Cades Cove as well.

Image #8-Back Eddy-Taken behind Cable Mill. I was lucky enough to also capture the eddy.

Image #9-Cable Mill-

Re: The Great Smoky Mountains [Re: Marie Mitchell Photography] #37184
11/04/11 03:14 PM
11/04/11 03:14 PM
Salt Lake City, Utah
Marty Everhard Offline
Old hand
Marty Everhard  Offline
Old hand

Salt Lake City, Utah
Love those deer. What were you shooting them with? Er, bad choice of words with deer,,,what were you taking there pictures with? Nice captures all. The motion in
the water wheel is cool.

Last edited by Marty Everhard; 11/04/11 03:15 PM.
Re: The Great Smoky Mountains [Re: Marie Mitchell Photography] #37185
11/04/11 03:31 PM
11/04/11 03:31 PM
Portland Oregon
RomanJohnston Offline
Pooh-Bah
RomanJohnston  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Portland Oregon
All very nice captures. I would give you one suggestion, do you own a Circular Polarizer? I would consider using it for the fall/water shots.

All in all I like these very much.

Roman

Re: The Great Smoky Mountains [Re: RomanJohnston] #37187
11/04/11 04:36 PM
11/04/11 04:36 PM
Augusta, GA
M
Old hand
Old hand
M

Augusta, GA
Originally Posted By: RomanJohnston
All very nice captures. I would give you one suggestion, do you own a Circular Polarizer? I would consider using it for the fall/water shots.

All in all I like these very much.

Roman

Thanks, Roman! I do not own a CP, though would all of the water shots have benefitted from that? Is it bad enough to pull the water shots from my portfolio? Would appreciate any info on that!
Thanks!

Re: The Great Smoky Mountains [Re: Marty Everhard] #37188
11/04/11 04:38 PM
11/04/11 04:38 PM
Augusta, GA
M
Old hand
Old hand
M

Augusta, GA
Originally Posted By: Marty Everhard
Love those deer. What were you shooting them with? Er, bad choice of words with deer,,,what were you taking there pictures with? Nice captures all. The motion in
the water wheel is cool.

LOL! Well, for the Deer, I was using the 70-200mm f/2.8 lens. Its going into the shop soon because its not as sharp as it used to be. The water wheel was taken with the 18-55mm f/4.5-5.6.

Re: The Great Smoky Mountains [Re: Marie Mitchell Photography] #37189
11/04/11 06:24 PM
11/04/11 06:24 PM
Portland Oregon
RomanJohnston Offline
Pooh-Bah
RomanJohnston  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Portland Oregon
Originally Posted By: Marie Mitchell Photography

Thanks, Roman! I do not own a CP, though would all of the water shots have benefitted from that? Is it bad enough to pull the water shots from my portfolio? Would appreciate any info on that!
Thanks!

I was just thinking that having one would give you options out in the field. I wouldnt pull the shots, just know that getting one would improve your options available. TIP: anytime you buy filters, I strongly reccomend buying the 77MM one as that is usually the largest one you would need and buy step down rings for your lenses with the smaller ends on them. This keeps you buying only one filter to use on any lens. If you get the thin version you can also use it on superwides without darkening in the corners. (vignetting).

Really handy in calming down shiny surfaces and allowing the Dynamic Range to better match the capabilities of the camera.

It is one of the few filters I carry.

Roman

Re: The Great Smoky Mountains [Re: RomanJohnston] #37191
11/04/11 06:34 PM
11/04/11 06:34 PM
Augusta, GA
M
Old hand
Old hand
M

Augusta, GA
Ahh, ok, that makes sense Roman. Now, do you have a preference as to which maker of filter you use? I can certainly see the added benefit, since I do quite a bit of water images.
Thanks!

Re: The Great Smoky Mountains [Re: Marie Mitchell Photography] #37193
11/04/11 06:58 PM
11/04/11 06:58 PM
Portland Oregon
RomanJohnston Offline
Pooh-Bah
RomanJohnston  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Portland Oregon
Originally Posted By: Marie Mitchell Photography
Ahh, ok, that makes sense Roman. Now, do you have a preference as to which maker of filter you use? I can certainly see the added benefit, since I do quite a bit of water images.
Thanks!

Take the money you save on buying multipul filters and get the best you can. I like Heliopan and B+W brands. They can be a bit spendy, but when you consider your putting another peice of glass on your lens the lens designer never intended, the extra cost will go a long way to not become the weakest link in your lenses quality.

Roman

Re: The Great Smoky Mountains [Re: RomanJohnston] #37196
11/05/11 01:53 PM
11/05/11 01:53 PM
Manhattan, New York, New York
James Morrissey Offline
I
James Morrissey  Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

Manhattan, New York, New York
Hi Marie,

Lovely photos. My favorite is of the road and folliage.

James

Re: The Great Smoky Mountains [Re: James Morrissey] #37203
11/05/11 05:43 PM
11/05/11 05:43 PM
North Carolina's Crystal Coast
B
Bob D. Offline
Tracker
Bob D.  Offline
Tracker
B

North Carolina's Crystal Coast
Cades Cove and the GSMNP are magical places without a doubt. Nice series of images. I was supposed to be there this week but family responsibilities got in the way of my vacation. Maybe in the spring.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 350 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online629
Dec 4th, 2019

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer