11/01/11 09:20 PM
Kansas
psmith Offline
Pooh-Bah
psmith  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Kansas
Originally Posted By: Jim Poor
Doug, what you describe actually amounts to a complex donation of time, which is NOT a tax write off.

The store would actually have to pay the $500 and the photographer would have to make a separate donation for tax purposes.

I think you need to check with a CPA or tax person on that, I really have no idea what the laws are in Canada. If you were in the US Jim is correct.

Re: Tip Jar Idea [Re: Nicole St-Onge] #37145
11/01/11 09:23 PM
11/01/11 09:23 PM
Kansas
psmith Offline
Pooh-Bah
psmith  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Kansas
Originally Posted By: Nicole St-Onge
Have I ever mentioned how much I love my husband! He comes up with the best ideas! I was/am still very torn about to to approach the store managers about this sensitive subject (yes I realize that I am dwelling on this far too much) and he suggested that I put out a "Tip Jar" instead of donation box along with my sign that says I volunteer my time to help keep events like this free." I feel comfortable doing this. YAY.

This doesn't sound quite right to me. A competing tip jar with the rescue that you are trying to help out seems wrong.

On another subject, did you get model releases signed for your files...and more importantly did you capture everyone's name, address, email, etc for future marketing purposes?

Re: Tip Jar Idea [Re: Nicole St-Onge] #37146
11/01/11 09:32 PM
11/01/11 09:32 PM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline
Addict

Florida
Nicole,
there are really two issues here:

1. did you get some experience; some nice portfolio pieces and have a good time?

2. did they use you -- in the worst possible sense of the word "use"?

Only you can answer the first question. But what you answer will go a long of way in mitigating the answer to the second question which is: "yes, unquestionably."

Does that mean you're a fool? Not at all. If you gained experience and didn't lose any $$, then you had a net gain. If you also lost $$, then you got taken. So, make sure it doesn't happen again. In the long run, we all make "mistakes" on our way to figuring out how to make this avocation work for us. If this was your first, then accept it, make sure you understand what you gained and what you lost, and try to make the next experience work better for you. Because, in the scheme of things, if it doesn't work for you, it doesn't work at all. I do Rescue. I don't ever ask for anybody to sacrifice their professional abilities to my needs. If I wish to donate my time, I do it. My choice. Nobody manipulates me into doing it. And those that do should be avoided at all costs for all time. Period.

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Re: Tip Jar Idea [Re: psmith] #37147
11/01/11 09:37 PM
11/01/11 09:37 PM
Canada
Nicole St-Onge Offline OP
Tracker
Nicole St-Onge  Offline OP
Tracker

Canada
Hey Preston, you are right, that does sound weird. We are still working out the details for the holiday shoots but the majority of the stores will not have rescue groups on site. The holiday photos are not meant to be a fundraiser for the rescue groups, they are a promotion stunt for the store, so I think tip jar would be okay. I will also be allowed to sale 5x7s, 8x10s, digital files etc . . . for the holiday photos. This was something that I failed to plan for with the Halloween photos.

The Halloween shoot wasn't suppose to be a rescue fundraiser either but because of the rescue's donation box being on my table, it sure seemed like they were taking advantage of my being there. I addressed this issue with the store owner tonight. smile

Re: Tip Jar Idea [Re: Jim Garvie] #37148
11/01/11 09:47 PM
11/01/11 09:47 PM
Canada
Tracker
Tracker

Canada
Thanks Jim! Your post made a lot of sense. Other then my time, I am not out any money. Having the rescue there was a bit confusing and unexpected. I addressed this tonight with the store owner, I think we are good for the holidays.

All said and done, it really was a good learning experience. I can definitely improve upon it! I will be doing it again!

You pros make it seem so easy, I forget that this is my first run through with this type of stuff and I seek the perfection I see in all of you. Thanks for comments and words of wisdom. smile

Re: Tip Jar Idea [Re: Jim Garvie] #37149
11/01/11 09:53 PM
11/01/11 09:53 PM
Canada
Tracker
Tracker

Canada
Originally Posted By: jimgarvie
Does that mean you're a fool? Not at all. If you gained experience and didn't lose any $$, then you had a net gain. If you also lost $$, then you got taken. So, make sure it doesn't happen again. In the long run, we all make "mistakes" on our way to figuring out how to make this avocation work for us.

That made me smile! I'm glad that you don't think I'm some sort of fool for honestly trying and giving it my best shot. I have a lot to learn, they certainly don't teach all this real life business stuff in photog school!

Re: Tip Jar Idea [Re: psmith] #37151
11/01/11 11:28 PM
11/01/11 11:28 PM
Canada
Tracker
Tracker

Canada
Originally Posted By: psmith
On another subject, did you get model releases signed for your files...and more importantly did you capture everyone's name, address, email, etc for future marketing purposes?

Yes for the model release. We did capture everyone's name and pet's name but unfortunately my helper, who was signing everyone in, failed to capture many of their addresses and emails. I don't think she realised the importance of it. And I didn't notice she wasn't doing this until we were half way through the day. I will be sure to get this information when I do the holiday photos.

Re: Do Any Of You Work With Pet Stores [Re: Nicole St-Onge] #37676
12/11/11 11:55 AM
12/11/11 11:55 AM
Canada
Tracker
Tracker

Canada
So I've been on tour with the Pet photos with Santa since November 12th with one last stop to make next Saturday! And after 152 sessions with Santa yesterday, this photographer is sore today!!!! I've been kneeling on floor to take the photos and was wondering if would have been appropriate for me to bring a small stool to sit on instead to save my poor knees and legs.

Last edited by Nicole St-Onge; 12/11/11 09:18 PM. Reason: Spelling
Re: Do Any Of You Work With Pet Stores [Re: Nicole St-Onge] #37677
12/11/11 12:55 PM
12/11/11 12:55 PM
Virginia, USA
Jim Poor Offline
Addict
Jim Poor  Offline
Addict

Virginia, USA
Absolutely.

I used to shoot agility trials on my knees, but finally got a little smarter and started using a gardening seat. Then I went to a drafting stool.

When I do mass portrait shoots in one day, I use the gardening stool.

Re: Tip Jar Idea [Re: Nicole St-Onge] #37679
12/11/11 01:15 PM
12/11/11 01:15 PM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline
Addict

Florida
Nicole,
after 5 knee operations, I no longer kneel to get my low shots. I either set up my tripod low with an angle finder or I sit on the floor. I've tried gardening stools, pillows, creepers but I find that scootching along on my rump works best for me. On the other hand, getting your subjects off of the floor is probably the better solution long-term. All but the largest dogs can handle a modeling table that's 2 or 3 feet off the floor. In my previous studio, I built a platform that was 18 inches off the floor and put my props on that. It gave me just the added height I needed to be able to sit in my office chair for the shooting. The one basic truism of portraiture is that if you or your subject are in pain, it will show up in the images smile.

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 337 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online629
Dec 4th, 2019

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer