05/29/06 10:14 AM
05/29/06 10:14 AM
Dandenong Ranges, Melbourne, A...
PossumCorner Offline OP
Old hand
PossumCorner  Offline OP
Old hand

Dandenong Ranges, Melbourne, A...
Or slightly up-hill. A new experience for our dogs, who have only tried the zig-zag lure courses. Our State Deerhound Club hosted an open day at a country greyhound racing track. The rain came down, the cameras got soaked along with dogs and people, not what we had hoped for. A great non-competetive social fun day though not easy shooting - when the rain wasn't in the way, the rusty running rail was. Dogs running were mainly quite green at the whole idea so we could not get head-on shots from the finish line and had to stand alongside the track.

Early morning mist from trackside towards the finish. (These Deerhounds went half way then came back to the start end)

My Rotti (?cross) enjoyed the run, wearing her flyball harness to make the catcher's job easier.

Quite a few Borzois, Salukis and Afghan Hounds - their owners prefer the straight course as less stress on joints that the zig-zag.

Dogs mostly ran in pairs, here two Whippets at the starting end.

A fit little blue whippet finished the course then turned and ran back to the start: saved the handler a long walk.

Re: Lure Coursing - Straight and Level. [Re: PossumCorner] #3772
05/29/06 05:23 PM
05/29/06 05:23 PM
Illinois
Peggy Sue Offline
Pooh-Bah
Peggy Sue  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Illinois
These images are just breath taking! I would find it hard to shoot since I could not take my eyes off the run. The black and white Borzoi and the Whippet steal the show. Something makes me want to take your girl, flip her and put her image in the first picture. The scenery is great and so is your perspective on that shot.
Thanks again for your advise.

Peggy Sue
Re: Lure Coursing - Straight and Level. [Re: Peggy Sue] #3773
05/30/06 05:52 AM
05/30/06 05:52 AM
T
Tess32 Offline
Journeyman
Tess32  Offline
Journeyman
T

Very interesting to see PC, I had wondered how the normal KCC dogs would go. Too far for me but I would have expected Reilly to only go a little far and then get confused! Nice to see some beautiful Borzoi shots, my second favourite breed.

D'urberville Photography http://www.durbervillephotography.com.au
Re: Lure Coursing - Straight and Level. [Re: Tess32] #3774
05/30/06 11:51 AM
05/30/06 11:51 AM
J
JeffDinPA Offline
Old hand
JeffDinPA  Offline
Old hand
J

Nice shots PC, I have never heard of Straight Lure Coursing interesting. I like the color and atmosphere of these shots. They all brought a smile to my face too, so good work. Is Deerhound another name for Irish Wolf hound our is that another breed all together? I really like the gray skies with that shot.

Thanks, Jeff
Re: Lure Coursing - Straight and Level. [Re: JeffDinPA] #3775
05/31/06 12:38 AM
05/31/06 12:38 AM
Manhattan, New York, New York
James Morrissey Offline
I
James Morrissey  Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

Manhattan, New York, New York
Hey PC,

These are great shots - that first one in particular with the fog coming off the ground is just amazing.

Can you talk a bit about the technique you are using to capture the dogs while they are running? I would imagine that focus tracking for several of these shots was quite difficult.

James

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 355 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online629
Dec 4th, 2019

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer