11/16/11 02:20 PM
11/16/11 02:20 PM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline OP
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline OP
Addict

Florida
I'm reluctant to write this but . . . we've changed our minds. We're keeping Plummy. These past few weeks have allowed us to see these guys for far longer than is usual with litters and to see how they handle things most puppies don't have to deal during those first 8 weeks. Let me state that we love Big Blue every bit as much as when he was just a few days old. And, we are convinced that physically, he's the better of the two puppies. How each of them turn out as adults is anybody's guess but, at the moment, Big Blue has a better topline, a lovely neck-into-shoulder, better front, and is truly the more athletic of the two.

For Plummy's physical positives: he has more substance/bone, has a pretty nice topline himself and an excellent rear. Negatives: plummy has a slight break in his topline behind the whithers, a slightly lighter eye and he's a bit wide in front at the moment. Of course, he's a bit wide all over at the moment so I'm not sure that's a huge issue long term smile.

But what ultimately swayed us was how the boys matched up with their grandpa Rowdy in what is the most important area: which one would make the better Therapy Dog both now and as an adult. And, while they are really wonderful puppies, Plummy has a certain something that makes him more approachable, more lovable and he's more confident facing new situations, loud noises and changes in his environment. We answered the question when we discussed which of the puppies we'd be more comfortable taking to the AKC/Eukanuba Meet The Breeds exhibit that is associated with the AKC/Eukanuba National Championship here in Orlando next month. Linda has designed the American Rottweiler Club's booth for that show and we'll be manning it (and bringing the representatives of the breed we feel people should meet). One of those representatives will be a puppy. And we concluded that Plummy is the one that would probably handle all that hubbub best.

Having a lovely show dog is nice. But it isn't the reason we breed. Creating good Rottweilers is why we breed and when we think back about Rowdy's "careers", the things that made us most proud were not his accomplishments in the ring. They were the things he accomplished in his Therapy work. We think Plummy is the best puppy to carry on that tradition and, to us, that is the most important factor. Big Blue will get an absolutely wonderful home with kids, other dogs, horses and lots of land to roam. Plummy will be stuck here with us so I'm not sure we've actually done him any favors. But we will give him the type of special life a special boy deserves. Given his rather precarious start to life, we think this is why he was allowed to survive.

I apologize for the lack of photos recently. After two Herding Trials two weeks ago, I sent off my cameras for cleaning and then sold them to make room -- and money -- for my latest acquisition: a Canon 7D due to arrive before the weekend. So, while Blue is headed up to Atlanta with Linda to meet his new family, I'll be getting Red Boy back for 10 days and he & Plummy will be getting lots of play time. So, stay tuned.

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Re: The Decision [Re: Jim Garvie] #37360
11/16/11 02:53 PM
11/16/11 02:53 PM
Barienrode, Germany
D
DonParrot Offline
Tracker
DonParrot  Offline
Tracker
D

Barienrode, Germany
Come on Jim, all this sounds far to rational. Admit it: you're hooked and just can't let him go. *lol*

It's a long way to tip a rary
Re: The Decision [Re: DonParrot] #37361
11/16/11 03:55 PM
11/16/11 03:55 PM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline OP
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline OP
Addict

Florida
No, Don, really -- this has been truly evaluated from every angle grin. We're hooked on both of them. If we were being totally rational, it would be Blue. But I've gotten more than a little fed up with what's going on in AKC Conformation -- especially in the Rottie ring. I have to admit a piece of it is that I am in a position to know too much. But, regardless, the focus on having a show dog is less important to us these days than it might have been in the past. Yes, we'd like him to be healthy and gorgeous. If he gets a chance to win his CH, fine. But there are far more important things for him to do in terms of what will make him happy, what will make us happy and what might make other people happy. And those things really are important. Far more important than a CH in front of his name.

BTW, the theme of this litter is Great Foods Of The World and we're thinking of naming him Annihaus RJM Baba Au Rum and calling him Rummy wink.

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Re: The Decision [Re: Jim Garvie] #37416
11/20/11 03:02 PM
11/20/11 03:02 PM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline OP
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline OP
Addict

Florida
One postscript to our choice: Linda brought Big Blue up to Atlanta to meet his new family on Saturday. We knew the adults in the family but had never met their 5-year old son, Cooper. Well, the report is that Cooper and Blue fell in love with each other the moment they met. I'm not surprised given how Blue behaved with all the children that visited the litter but he now has his own kid. Something he would not have had if we had kept him ourselves. Some things are just meant to be smile.

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Re: The Decision [Re: Jim Garvie] #37917
01/04/12 07:12 PM
01/04/12 07:12 PM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline OP
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline OP
Addict

Florida
Well, the cobbler has been unable to produce any shoes for the family recently. Just too busy with the Eukanuba, the Holidays, and just getting everything settled in the household. But, today, I actually took a few shots of The Great Scampisi in the yard prior to taking him to the park for a walk and some socialization. He walked on a short lead with me, did some obedience exercises (very well), let me stack him and move him as in Conformation (excellent) and then went over to the playground and met a bunch of kids and their moms. He loved the trip; the people loved him. He was a really good puppy! So, here at 17 weeks of age, 51 lbs. and tall enough to drink from the big dogs' water dish is Scampy.

Enjoy. I promise to do better as he continues to grow up (we hope) smile.

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Re: The Decision [Re: Jim Garvie] #37920
01/05/12 02:16 AM
01/05/12 02:16 AM
San Antonio, TX
FretlessD Offline
Journeyman
FretlessD  Offline
Journeyman

San Antonio, TX
Good lookin' boy, Jim.

FOR THE LOVE OF DOG!!!
Re: The Decision [Re: Jim Garvie] #37922
01/06/12 09:54 AM
01/06/12 09:54 AM
TN
Julie Offline
Addict
Julie  Offline
Addict

TN
He is very pretty. Did you keep two from your litter?

Re: The Decision [Re: Julie] #37926
01/06/12 12:05 PM
01/06/12 12:05 PM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline OP
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline OP
Addict

Florida
Good Lord, NO grin. He's more than enough. No, we've had a couple of the puppies back with us over the past couple of months when their families had vacation or other travel plans. Also, Red Boy, Ram-Z, lives about 8 minutes from here so we tend to see him a lot. But I assure you that Scamp is more than enough for any home.

More pics when I get more time. We're working on stacking now and when I move him, he's decided that he really loves to trot out in front of me at the end of the leash smile. Some things you teach and some seem to come down on the genetic code from prior generations. Remember, Rowdy is his granddaddy.

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 350 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online629
Dec 4th, 2019

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer