01/06/12 05:28 PM
01/06/12 05:28 PM
Kansas
psmith Offline
Pooh-Bah
psmith  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Kansas
I have had mine set up that way since Timeline and I really had no idea how many people were tagging me because I don't look at my own profile that much.

Re: Facebook Etiquette [Re: psmith] #37939
01/06/12 06:31 PM
01/06/12 06:31 PM
Maryland, USA
H
horsephoto Offline
Wanderer
horsephoto  Offline
Wanderer
H

Maryland, USA
Yeah Julie, the photographers obsessively liking other photographers just to have more likes is kinda dumb. I mean, it's pretty pointless as they aren't your market and aren't going to be your customers. I do like a lot of photographers pages-but only because I actually like to look at their work (or we're related lol) not because I went on a binge of trading likes.
Oni

Re: Facebook Etiquette [Re: horsephoto] #37941
01/06/12 07:44 PM
01/06/12 07:44 PM
TN
Julie Offline OP
Addict
Julie  Offline OP
Addict

TN
I like some photographers pages for the same reason. They are inspiring. I don't like pages just because I am asked to, because, its kinda pointless. Other photographers aren't going to make you any money or bring you any clients unless you are selling goods TO them.

I think its fine for other photographers to like my page, or comment on it, but, really, we do know when we are being subversive and when we are genuine.

Re: Facebook Etiquette [Re: Julie] #37942
01/06/12 09:47 PM
01/06/12 09:47 PM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline
Addict

Florida
Julie,
so are you saying that if I "like" one of your images -- or Preston's or Jim Poor's or anybody else's -- that it doesn't mean anything because you can't count on my giving you any business? I'm sorry. I thought there was a difference between genuine peer appreciation and simply wanting comments from folks who can help you financially.

Now, before you go into orbit, I know you comment on my images -- and other photographers that you know -- because you truly like the image. And it means more to me than having somebody who knows nothing about how that image was created liking it.

I'm not competing with you. I'd be far more likely to collaborate with you. So, if I like your images, it's because I truly like your images. I'm a photographer. I have a right to like. I hope you value my opinions as much as I value yours.

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Re: Facebook Etiquette [Re: horsephoto] #37943
01/07/12 12:14 AM
01/07/12 12:14 AM
North Carolina's Crystal Coast
B
Bob D. Offline
Tracker
Bob D.  Offline
Tracker
B

North Carolina's Crystal Coast
Originally Posted By: horsephoto
Yeah Julie, the photographers obsessively liking other photographers just to have more likes is kinda dumb. I mean, it's pretty pointless as they aren't your market and aren't going to be your customers. I do like a lot of photographers pages-but only because I actually like to look at their work (or we're related lol) not because I went on a binge of trading likes.
Oni

There are several reasons why having other photographers as "likes" is not necessarily "pointless." Consider the photographer that offers workshops or sells actions... that photographer's customers are other photographers. Also, for some of the "bigger names" numbers are important. Want a sponsership from a manufacturer or software developer, they want numbers (and they're no interested in folks looking to have some pretty pictures made for them). So depending on ones business model and "stature" in the industry it's not necessarily a pointless excercise.

It's also worth noting that prospective clients what says "this photographer is talented" better than a positive comment by another photographer? A "kudos" from a non-photographer is one thing, a rave from a peer something quite more.

Last edited by Bob D.; 01/07/12 12:17 AM.
Re: Facebook Etiquette [Re: Bob D.] #37947
01/07/12 10:16 AM
01/07/12 10:16 AM
TN
Julie Offline OP
Addict
Julie  Offline OP
Addict

TN
I would consider the Jims, Preston, James ect; friends. I have LOTS of photographer friends. Yes, we comment on each others stuff and its really nice to have the comments. I like it. I think everyone likes to hear nice things.

The reality of it is I pay my bills off of photography. I spend time working facebook to keep people wanting to spend money with me. I do like other photographers pages that I don't know and mostly, for inspiration. Occasionally I will comment on something especially moving or cool.

I see these pleas for photographers to trade likes. Beyond having more likes, there really is no benefit. I am not talking about someone selling to photographers, that is different. Also not who is asking to trade likes. It may seem like a good idea, and its really not a hurtful idea, but, it isn't gonna really help.

It is nice to have comments from your peers, and though *I* may value it more, not sure that prospective clients do. This is a emotionally driven business and what you post is what you bring to you.

Its still rude to market off of the backs of fellow photographers. If you are doing it, you know its wrong. Even if some guru said it was a great way to get new clients.

Re: Facebook Etiquette [Re: Jim Garvie] #37948
01/07/12 10:18 AM
01/07/12 10:18 AM
Kansas
psmith Offline
Pooh-Bah
psmith  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Kansas
Jim,

I think you and Julie are talking about two different things. I read Julie's objection as switching to your Business identity when commenting on a post. When I compliment your work I do so as Preston Smith (which clicks through to my personal page), not as Preston Smith Photography (which clicks through to my business page).

Re: Facebook Etiquette [Re: psmith] #37949
01/07/12 10:51 AM
01/07/12 10:51 AM
TN
Julie Offline OP
Addict
Julie  Offline OP
Addict

TN
I browse facebook as my personal profile. I do not like other photographers with my page(why would you do that?) I DO like other photographers as me(personal profile).

If Preston or someone else posted to my page as their page, I would know that they weren't trying to market off my page because *I know them*.

If its a stranger, I don't know that. If you post a link to my wall saying "like me" I will delete and ban you. Seriously. If you post as your page and I don't know you, I will bristle but if otherwise are nice and seem genuine, I will let it go and give the benefit of the doubt.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 339 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online629
Dec 4th, 2019

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer