01/09/12 08:06 PM
01/09/12 08:06 PM
Illinois
Peggy Sue Offline
Pooh-Bah
Peggy Sue  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Illinois
I totally understand what you are saying Preston and censorship of art is certainly not my intent. I understand this to be an idea that we all join in on and for that reason I am stating my views as to why I would not take part.

Yesterday the show by Cattelan at the Guggenheim was shown on Sunday Morning. Sculpture that depicts horses in extreme ways is an expression of that artist. But we are using a medium that depicts a form of reality. Yes we can manipulate easier that the past but I would not do that any more than I would hang a horse in the middle of the Guggenheim (oh, maybe for a show there..... na)

Go forward with this concept and see what happens. Maybe if you let me create in another medium I would join in. Have fun.

Peggy Sue
Re: Dogs In Cars [Re: Peggy Sue] #37981
01/09/12 08:24 PM
01/09/12 08:24 PM
Kansas
psmith Offline
Pooh-Bah
psmith  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Kansas
That's fair enough Peggy Sue. When I saw the video to the link I posted I thought that it was done very well and in good taste. I understand that the concept is disturbing to some. We can discuss it, or delete it. Its not my thread, I was just trying to add to it and I'm glad that you jumped in with the safety perspective.

Re: Dogs In Cars [Re: Jim Garvie] #37982
01/09/12 08:25 PM
01/09/12 08:25 PM
Barienrode, Germany
D
DonParrot Offline
Tracker
DonParrot  Offline
Tracker
D

Barienrode, Germany
Originally Posted By: jimgarvie
Sorry, Don, I'm with Peggy Sue on this one. My dogs may love to hang their heads out of the windows of a moving car but they only ride with restraints, either on the seat with a seatbelt or in a crate. If I have to stop quickly, any dog riding free is at risk of injury. It's like those folks who think it's OK to let their dogs ride free in the bed of a pickup truck. Sorry, it's not only dangerous it's irresponsible. Can folks do what they want to do? Absolutely! Will I be willing to tell them if I think it's wrong: Even more absolutely!!

Jim

Hi Jim,
of course my dogs are secured by a belt (I wrote so) whenever they are in my car. As I never would take the risk that they can jump out of the car - or thrown around in the case of an accident. But I won't belt them down to an extent that they have no space to move. If they join me im my MX5 (think it's called Miata in the US), they definitely are wearing convertible goggles. But if I'm driving in the city, I let them put their head out of the car (as I said secured by a belt). I'm really tired of the over-cautiousness our western society is moving into. Where's the 'joie de vivre' if you avoid anything that might represent a risk.

Last edited by DonParrot; 01/09/12 08:40 PM.

It's a long way to tip a rary
Re: Dogs In Cars [Re: Peggy Sue] #37983
01/09/12 08:39 PM
01/09/12 08:39 PM
Barienrode, Germany
D
DonParrot Offline
Tracker
DonParrot  Offline
Tracker
D

Barienrode, Germany
Originally Posted By: Peggy Sue

I do not believe this is a recent thing on being afraid from doing fun things. I know of a man who has a false elbow from placing his arm on the window while he drives. Just yesterday I almost had my mirror removed from my truck as another truck wandered out of his lane into mine. Had one of my dogs had their heads out of the window, major injury would have taken place.

And how many people do you know who have put their elbows out of their cars every day throughout their lives without encountering such an incident? You will always find what you search when looking for it long enough.
Every day, people and animals die in car accidents. Does this mean we should stop driving?

One of my cats was killed by a car. Nonetheless, I never came to the conclusion to lock the others up in the house for the rest of their lives. I'd rather let them lead a short but exiting life than making sure that they survive their full 25-year lifespan but are bored day in, day out.

Being reasonsably cautious and overcautious are two different pairs of shoes - as we say in Germany.

Originally Posted By: Peggy Sue
So, you can certainly have fun doing what you want. I have the right to express my anxiety about it. If I were to allow my pups to do what you enjoy, at the very least I would have googles on them. Sorry you are tired of others opinions not agreeing with yours.

No need to get personal. It goes without saying that you are free to speek your mind but you should accept if other don't share your opinions. In your first comment, you were rather emotional and outspoken, so you should allow others to opt for the same approach.

It's a long way to tip a rary
Re: Dogs In Cars [Re: FretlessD] #37996
01/11/12 09:54 AM
01/11/12 09:54 AM
Long Island, NY
Diane Offline
Journeyman
Diane  Offline
Journeyman

Long Island, NY
I completely agree that the safety of the dog is critically important. Which is why I tried so hard to get my Zuki, now deceased, to ride with her head inside the car. But, she would get horrifically car sick, and throw up everywhere. The only way to prevent that was to allow her to ride with her head out. Just her head, with the window slightly up to keep her from jumping out. She was a huge dog, 110 lbs and very tall and lean. That was a lot of barf. I finally capitulated, because my car was becoming a barf mobile. Medications alone were just not enough. I also had a lab before Zuki that I would never allow to hang out of the car. She would do everything she could to jump out at oncoming vehicles. It was crazy. She was nuts. Drove me nuts. But, it was about protecting her. So, I responded both ways.

I also tried a doggie seat belt for Zuki, but one day she got so tangled in it (she was a constant motion machine on the back seat, and would never sleep, no matter how long the ride), that I was sure that if I had to stop short, she would have broken her leg. I stopped using the seat belt. I did get one of those hammock things that attach to the front seat headrests, so that she could not fall off the seat. That made a huge difference to her car comfort.

I guess my point is that maybe there are compelling reasons for people to allow their dogs to hang out of moving vehicles. Maybe it's not so easy to just pass judgment and condemn the owner. My dogs had very different personalities, and how I responded was based on that. Sometimes, it's impossible to train car sickness or compulsion out of a dog, and it's the owner's responsibility to do what is necessary to keep that dog safe. For Zuki, it was allowing her to hang her head out the window. It was the only way. For me, it meant that I had to drive slower than my usual driving habits. But, I gotta tell ya, that humongous wolf-like head hanging out of the window sure was an attention getter. :-)

Re: Dogs In Cars [Re: Diane] #38037
01/15/12 05:09 PM
01/15/12 05:09 PM
San Antonio, TX
FretlessD Offline OP
Journeyman
FretlessD  Offline OP
Journeyman

San Antonio, TX
Woah, Guys!!! I just posted a cute photo of a Springer waiting for his dad... I didn't mean to start something. Preston, I appreciate the link. It is a cute web page either way.

Thanks -- Doug

P.S. I live in Texas by the way. We have a lot more issues and problems with pet ownership than riding with a window partially open. Believe me.

Last edited by FretlessD; 01/15/12 05:13 PM.

FOR THE LOVE OF DOG!!!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 421 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online629
Dec 4th, 2019

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer