01/12/12 01:42 AM
Arizona
daveman Offline OP
Old hand
daveman  Offline OP
Old hand

Arizona
I finally upgraded my D80 to a D7000.

I love this camera, the expanded DR, the low ISO range, the larger files, the speed, the list goes on....

However - I have Photoshop CS3, and found out the D7000 NEF files are not compatible with Adobe ACR that came with CS3, and Adobe is not planning to support this with an update....

... so...

Now I have a D7000 AND CS5.

I love so much in CS5 - content aware file, HDR toning, the list is long.

However - the files are so much larger from the D7000 that my computer really slugs through some of my images.... taking forever... If only I have a couple GB more of RAM, or a new processor...

hm hm hmm

It is a never ending circle...

See my stuff here davedilli.zenfolio.com
Re: A never ending circle! [Re: daveman] #38012
01/12/12 06:34 AM
01/12/12 06:34 AM
Long Island, NY
Diane Offline
Journeyman
Diane  Offline
Journeyman

Long Island, NY
Photography is definitely my money pit. One thing leads to another to another to another. And, if you want that bigger, better lens, you need bigger, better legs. You need new filters. You need gear protection. Finally, all is set and working well, and BAM!!! out comes a new camera model.

Now, even though I lust after the new Nikon D4, I am hoping that the prices come down on the D3. I'm always a model behind for that very reason.

A few years ago, I bought a new computer. Admittedly, my software was mostly pirated stuff - CS4, for instance. Given my new computer, I wanted to start new. I spent my entire tax refund that year, and then some, on new and legal software. Adobe is not cheap. But, it feels good. I can get upgrades. I don't worry about the software police (if they indeed do exist), I'm good. But now, Lightroom is coming out with a new version, Lightroom 4. It's a pretty safe guess that it is going to be an expensive upgrade. Everything Adobe is.

You're right. It's a huge, and widening circle. It's my money pit. I love it.

Re: A never ending circle! [Re: daveman] #38013
01/12/12 09:33 AM
01/12/12 09:33 AM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline
Addict

Florida
Welcome to Digital Photography 101: with each generation of camera, the files get bigger and better. Each camera demands better and better lenses. Each new generation of cameras pushes the software manufacturers to improve their products. And each improvement in software demands more computing power and storage capability.

The longest I've been able to stay with one model of camera has been 3 years. And I have more than one body. I've had to upgrade PhotoShop almost every time it's gone to a new generation (I'm currently on CS5). I upgrade my Macs (yes, more than one) every 2 years or whenever they force me to because of a new processor which requires a new OS which the new version of PhotoShop will only work with. Yup, they've got us. And there's no way out if you do this for a living. Maybe you can stay put if your photography is a hobby and the files you're getting meet your needs and wants. But when you are a professional, you have no choice but to keep pace.

In the film days (soft, nostalgic music in the background) nothing changed for decades. Cameras. Lenses. Film. Processing chemicals. Paper. Labs. Today, there a scores of websites that report the new additions to digital photography every day! Photography is a money pit. And riding the leading edge of it is a very expensive trip.

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Re: A never ending circle! [Re: Jim Garvie] #38014
01/12/12 12:34 PM
01/12/12 12:34 PM
Arizona
daveman Offline OP
Old hand
daveman  Offline OP
Old hand

Arizona
Yes...

And Diane just gave me a couple of reminders...

...I need a polarizer for that new lens on my D7000...
... maybe I should also get a couple of ND filters also for that new lens ...
... I have always wanted to try Lightroom... maybe I should install the trial of Lightroom that came with CS5...

oh man...

See my stuff here davedilli.zenfolio.com

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 369 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online629
Dec 4th, 2019

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer