01/21/12 02:41 PM
01/21/12 02:41 PM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline OP
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline OP
Addict

Florida
Eleven years ago, our first Rottie girl, Annie Fay (Ch Nordike's Ruffiann V Mobster) had her second and last litter of puppies. There were eight in all, 7 girls and 1 boy. And, ironically, the first puppy to pop out was the boy. He became Red Boy and later, Jag (Annihaus Canine Mutiny NJP). This litter turns 11 on February 1 and, last week, Jag came to live with us for a while. He had broken his right front leg in an altercation with his younger brother and his owners are unable to care for him during the recuperation period. So, off he went to the Annihaus Convalescent Home.

Here are a couple of pictures of Jag when he was in his prime. He had a gorgeous headpiece, much like his daddy, Rueger (Ch Der Hagen's Rueger V Adelant).

But he wasn't just another pretty face. He loved to run and jump and it wasn't long before he was running in Agility.

He actually ran in a lot of Agility Trials but Jag was always an independent thinker. He believed that he was much better at designing Agility Courses than the judges for those events and so he tended to run his own courses most of the time smile. But with such obvious glee that people would line up outside of the ring just to watch Jag's freestyle runs.

Well, Jag no longer runs or jumps much. But he still has attitude and although we were expecting a dejected old man to come here for his mandated crate rest, we got instead, the same old Jag. Stubborn. Strong as an Ox. And full of life and love. He's accepting the crate rest reluctantly. But when I take him outside, he has every intention of going his way regardless of the leash suggesting a different way. And, more often than not, I give in and we go his way. He has made one concession to his infirmity: he expects his grandma, Linda, to hand-feed him. So, he lays down on the floor while grandma is mixing his food, I lay down with him and we cuddle, and then Linda feeds him. He's gotten old but he's the same puppy that I delivered some 11 years ago. Here's Jag in the yard last week.

Like all of us that have entered into our mature years, Jag has gotten a little more white around the muzzle but he's still enjoying life and we're delighted to still be enjoying him. Wish him a quick recovery.

Jim

Last edited by jimgarvie; 01/21/12 02:46 PM.

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Re: Jag [Re: Jim Garvie] #38084
01/21/12 05:27 PM
01/21/12 05:27 PM
Barienrode, Germany
D
DonParrot Offline
Tracker
DonParrot  Offline
Tracker
D

Barienrode, Germany
Great report, Jim. Shows your love for your dogs.
Thanks for sharing.

It's a long way to tip a rary
Re: Jag [Re: Jim Garvie] #38091
01/23/12 09:42 AM
01/23/12 09:42 AM
Manhattan, New York, New York
James Morrissey Offline
I
James Morrissey  Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

Hey Jim,

Agreed - great story. That third shot of him going over the hurdle is awesome. The look is just precious. Well done.

James

Re: Jag [Re: James Morrissey] #38105
01/24/12 11:24 AM
01/24/12 11:24 AM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline OP
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline OP
Addict

Florida
Thanks both to Don and to James. Jag is feeling pretty chipper this week. This morning, he dragged me around the yard so he could pee on every vertical object he could find. And with over a wooded acre, there are a LOT of vertical objects. He's dealing with the crate time very well. He eats like a horse. And he's telling me when we go outside that while he likes my company, he's perfectly capable of motoring around the yard with that splint on his leg. I have him on a leash and I tag along to make sure he doesn't over-do it. Attitude. That joie de vivre that makes you just smile. Jag has it to the max. I love this boy.

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Re: Jag [Re: Jim Garvie] #38251
02/13/12 04:27 PM
02/13/12 04:27 PM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline OP
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline OP
Addict

Florida
On Saturday, Jag's splint came off and he went home to his "regular" family. He had gotten very picky in terms of eating and had gotten noticeably weaker. We asked the vet to run a geriatric panel on Saturday and today, the results showed highly elevated levels of renal failure. At noon, his owner called us and told us that he was failing rapidly. We drove up to the vet's and the three of us held Jag as he was eased along on his trip to the Rainbow Bridge.

We, as breeders, have shared the joy of holding those puppies in our hands as they draw their first breath. A moment filled with joy and tremendous expectations. And we've all-too-frequently held them in our arms as they drew their last breath. And celebrated a life full of unconditional love from them and, hopefully, as much love as they could bear from us and their owners. That last moment is very sad. But we are tremendously grateful that our owners have asked us to be there with them.

Without the joy, there can be no pain. Without the pain, there would be emptiness. Jag, we loved you for those 11 years you were here on earth and we'll continue to love your memory for the rest of our lives. You were a great dog.

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Re: Jag [Re: Jim Garvie] #38254
02/13/12 08:20 PM
02/13/12 08:20 PM
Kansas
L
LauraJ Offline
Tracker
LauraJ  Offline
Tracker
L

Kansas
I'm sorry

Re: Jag [Re: LauraJ] #38258
02/14/12 12:04 AM
02/14/12 12:04 AM
James Morrissey Offline
I
James Morrissey  Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

Hi Jim,

We are very sorry.

James

Re: Jag [Re: James Morrissey] #38263
02/14/12 03:48 AM
02/14/12 03:48 AM
Barienrode, Germany
D
DonParrot Offline
Tracker
DonParrot  Offline
Tracker
D

Barienrode, Germany
It's always bitter if you have to let a friend go to the happy hunting grounds.
My thoughts are with you and his family, Jim!

It's a long way to tip a rary
Re: Jag [Re: Jim Garvie] #38265
02/14/12 08:04 AM
02/14/12 08:04 AM
OH
K
Kerri Offline
Wanderer
Kerri  Offline
Wanderer
K

OH
I'm sorry for your loss, Jim.

Re: Jag [Re: Kerri] #38269
02/15/12 08:23 AM
02/15/12 08:23 AM
Massachusetts, USA
L
Lesley Offline
Venturer
Lesley  Offline
Venturer
L

Massachusetts, USA
What a wonderful life Jag had! Of course it always pains me when our breed has to leave us so soon in life. Rottweilers are such fabulous companions and it makes it so very hard to say good bye to each and everyone of them. It sounds and looks like Jag was very much loved and a very happy boy, just look at that huge Rottie smile he has coming over the jump! Says it all! Godspeed Jag....

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 339 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online629
Dec 4th, 2019

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer