06/03/06 02:02 PM
06/03/06 02:02 PM
Salt Lake City, Utah
Marty Everhard Offline OP
Old hand
Marty Everhard  Offline OP
Old hand

Salt Lake City, Utah
I have not posted anything for awhile but I've been following along where time permitted. Last month we took advantage of our National Park pass and broke it in at Canyonlands Island in the Sky, where I had been before, and a first visit to the Needles District. The drive into the Needles was some of the best scenery I have ever seen.

One stop that I will never forget was the sunrise at Mesa Arch in Island in the Sky. After seeing so many photos of this icon I was thrilled at the oppurtunity to try my hand. There were about a dozen photographers there that Monday morning, and it was a fantastic experience-

It was EZ to find the arch, only a half mile or so from the main road thru the park- we scoped it out in the daylight the day before. It is truly a magical spot-you can feel the timeless majesty thru to your bones when you are there.

Next shot is from an obscure overlook outside of the park,
known as the Needles overlook. It was so high up that my girlfriend had vertigo- about an hours drive, paved road, from the main drag.

Very high winds created a haze , but I was able to get a few keepers that late evening.

This one is again from the Island in the Sky,

I am very happy with that shot. My companion thought this was the best-

It was the Mesa Arch vista without the arch or the sunrise- the colors were actually that rich - late afternoon.

We have since then been also to Mexico diving, where I experienced every possible malfunction and breakdown possible to a photographer known to man for one trip- only shot about 4 gigs with a couple to keep. Oh well.

And we were in Lake Powell for the Memorial weekend- I'll try to post some of these later on.

Next trip= Grand Canyon North Rim in July, with probable stops in Bryce and Zions. I have great hopes for these excursions, as well as Yellowstone late this summer as well.
I am loving my Park Pass!

Marty Everhard in Salt Lake City,
all rights reserved

Re: Canyonlands, Utah [Re: Marty Everhard] #3835
06/04/06 12:20 AM
06/04/06 12:20 AM
J
JeffDinPA Offline
Old hand
JeffDinPA  Offline
Old hand
J

Marty,
Beautiful shots. What a place. I really like the third, it looks like you had a nice clear day. The first one is nice too.

Thanks, Jeff
Re: Canyonlands, Utah [Re: Marty Everhard] #3836
06/04/06 09:14 AM
06/04/06 09:14 AM
Illinois
Peggy Sue Offline
Pooh-Bah
Peggy Sue  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Illinois
Marty, your shoots are lovely. I particularly like the first. I love it when you open a new shot and it takes that little breath from you, one of those moments that stop you in your tracks. This one did.
Thanks for posting.

Peggy Sue
Re: Canyonlands, Utah [Re: Peggy Sue] #3837
06/04/06 11:39 PM
06/04/06 11:39 PM
Manhattan, New York, New York
James Morrissey Offline
I
James Morrissey  Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

Hey Marty,

Glad to see you had a great trip. I like the first a lot too. The 3rd and 4th are also quite good. One thing though, the horizon does not seem quite straight on the last image. I am basing this on the lands below the mountain range...am I wrong?

Thanks for sharing!
Cheers
James

Re: Canyonlands, Utah [Re: James Morrissey] #3838
06/05/06 11:44 AM
06/05/06 11:44 AM
Salt Lake City, Utah
Old hand
Old hand

Salt Lake City, Utah
Thank's for the comments on my photos. James, the horizen is perfectly straight, you haven't properly tilted your head to the right. Nah, just kiddin, as I recall the plateau there does lean off some at that spot. Plus, the sun was in my eyes and I didn't have a tripod on top of the boulder.

Here is another from the well known "Schaffer Trail", Island in the sky. One of the few ways to the Mesa below- note the green 4 x4 truck in the right hand side of the pic.

And here is an overlook named "the Green River Overlook"- great scene, but beginning to haze up from the wind-

Thank's again-

Marty Everhard

Re: Canyonlands, Utah [Re: Marty Everhard] #3839
06/06/06 08:56 AM
06/06/06 08:56 AM
James Morrissey Offline
I
James Morrissey  Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

Hey Marty,

Great shots. I like the rich colors. Curiously, are you shooting raw or jpeg? Are you using any filters?

James

Re: Canyonlands, Utah [Re: James Morrissey] #3840
06/06/06 11:50 AM
06/06/06 11:50 AM
Salt Lake City, Utah
Old hand
Old hand

Salt Lake City, Utah
James,
I mostly use Raw nowdays. Several of the above shots were with a circular polarizer or UV filter.The shot of The Green River is a composite of two different raw conversions from the same shot in attempt to eliminate some of the haze.

I am working with Canon 20D and want the full format 16 megapixel beast pretty bad.

I plan on submitting # 1 & 3 of the first set into the Canon NP competition- wish me luck!

Later on I will post some shots from Lake Powell.
Have a great day.

Marty Everhard

Re: Canyonlands, Utah [Re: Marty Everhard] #3841
06/06/06 11:40 PM
06/06/06 11:40 PM
James Morrissey Offline
I
James Morrissey  Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

Hey Marty,

Can you post the link to the competition? I am interested myself.

James

Re: Canyonlands, Utah [Re: James Morrissey] #3842
06/07/06 12:03 AM
06/07/06 12:03 AM
Salt Lake City, Utah
Old hand
Old hand

Salt Lake City, Utah

Re: Canyonlands, Utah [Re: Marty Everhard] #3843
06/07/06 09:44 PM
06/07/06 09:44 PM
Dandenong Ranges, Melbourne, A...
PossumCorner Offline
Old hand
PossumCorner  Offline
Old hand

Dandenong Ranges, Melbourne, A...
Yes good luck for sure Marty, be sure get your entries in on time. I thought at first it was "Canyonlands" comp, (half awake) but no it's Canon(Camera) and 1st prize a 5D and includes a wildlife Section. NWP people should be in with a chance!!

There is also an international bird photography comp going, here is the link
http://www.iwpawards.com
that one is worth a look just to see the last couple of years' winning bird shots.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 546 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online629
Dec 4th, 2019

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer