05/21/12 05:24 PM
05/21/12 05:24 PM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline OP
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline OP
Addict

Florida
Every year, Linda and I take one or two big trips, usually as the result of my work or, occasionally, hers. It's been a while since we took one simply for ourselves and/or our dogs so when we decided it was time to drive from Orlando to Michigan to pick up our Rottie girl, Moxie, we were looking at a lot of expense and no income potential. A bit of background: Moxie, our two-year-old girl, has been with our handler, Kimm McDowell, since late February. Kimm happens to live in Wayland MI which makes this whole show thing a little tricky but we felt that Moxie would benefit from the experience of being away from us and as a bonus, would have the opportunity to pick up some Championship points.

Well, Moxie has picked up some points and with shows scheduled for the weekend we arrived and the Memorial Day weekend, she had some great opportunities to pick up some more. And, for additional punishment, we decided to bring our youngest puppy, Scamp, and his littermate CocoBear for their first show experience. We left last Wednesday and arrived on Friday in Flint MI. Shows were scheduled for Saturday and Sunday and on Saturday, Scamp went Reserve Winners Dog in his very first show and Moxie won her Open Class and also went Reserve Winners on the distaff side. Nice to be recognized but no points. CocoBear has had little experience in terms of show training so she did not show but she did get a lot of socialization and some show training from Kimm.

On Sunday, Scamp went Winners Dog for his first points in only his second show. We were delighted. Here's how he looked trotting around the ring with his Auntie Kimm.

Not to be outdone, Moxie also went Winners Bitch and, in Best Of Breed, was awarded Best of Winners. Here's a shot of Scamp and Moxie showing in Breed.

And here's one of my favorite shots of Moxie going around the ring on Sunday.

So, after the excitement of the weekend, we went to Kimm's house to stay for the next week and, of course, Kimm and Linda went off to the Mall for some shopping. I went off for a drive and to see if I could find some subjects to shoot and stumbled upon a cluster of Poppies. Here's one shot of what I found.

And a little farther down the road I found this great old barn and took a bunch of photos of it. Here's my favorite.

Kimm's daughter, Michelle, also shows Quarter Horses and so the rest of the week will include dog shows, horse shows and a wedding next weekend. Pics to follow. In the meantime, here's Tigger, the barn cat, watching the horses frolic.

One last note: the internet connection here in Wayland is abysmal so I have no idea whether this post will ever process. If it does, enjoy. If not, at least my fingers got some exercise today smile.

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Re: Field Trip! [Re: Jim Garvie] #38781
05/22/12 12:36 AM
05/22/12 12:36 AM
Manhattan, New York, New York
James Morrissey Offline
I
James Morrissey  Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

Manhattan, New York, New York
Hey Jim,

Great series! Have a great trip.

James

Re: Field Trip! [Re: James Morrissey] #38782
05/22/12 08:46 AM
05/22/12 08:46 AM
Germany (Black Forest)
Bernd Guenter Offline
Wanderer
Bernd Guenter  Offline
Wanderer

Germany (Black Forest)
Congrats on the show results, Jim.
Both Moxie and Scamp have nice stride.
Lovely poppy shot. Poppies and Rotties would make a nice combination. :-)

Have fun.

Bernd

Re: Field Trip! [Re: Bernd Guenter] #38787
05/24/12 04:19 PM
05/24/12 04:19 PM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline OP
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline OP
Addict

Florida
Bernd,
thanks for the comments and compliments. I agree that getting the puppies and poppies together would make for some nice shots grin. We're still in Michigan and started a string of 5 shows today. Also have a horse show to attend this weekend along with the dog shows so I'll have more opportunities to post some images. Think I'll wait until next week when we get home however. This place is a black hole in terms of internet access smile.

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 486 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online629
Dec 4th, 2019

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer