South Dakota
B
beckyh40 Offline OP
Wanderer
beckyh40  Offline OP
Wanderer
B

South Dakota
Alright, for my first question on here. But first, i have looked at a bunch of old posts ... your guys' stuff looks so GREAT. I am very lucky i found this group!!!

I live in an area that is slowly, and very slowly starting to be more pet friendly. We have a long way to go, but there has been a start!
How does one get the word out ... or get people to WANT to take pet photos? I have really good feedback from people who like my pet photography, but no one what to 'pay' to have photos taken.

Re: Question ... getting the word out [Re: beckyh40] #38726
05/11/12 12:41 AM
05/11/12 12:41 AM
Manhattan, New York, New York
James Morrissey Offline
I
James Morrissey  Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

Hey Becky,

Can you tell us a bit more about the environment? I think a business model can be created pretty much anywhere - it just needs to be tailored to the right folks...

James

Re: Question ... getting the word out [Re: beckyh40] #38728
05/11/12 01:12 AM
05/11/12 01:12 AM
Northern California, USA
DeborahKlenzman Offline
Wanderer
DeborahKlenzman  Offline
Wanderer

Northern California, USA
Your photography is beautiful, Becky. I have worked with other pet professionals like pet store owners, pet groomers, vets and such. Also get involved with animal charity organizations.

Deborah Ann Klenzman
Artist and Photographer
www.progressiveportraits.com
Re: Question ... getting the word out [Re: DeborahKlenzman] #38738
05/11/12 10:29 PM
05/11/12 10:29 PM
South Dakota
B
beckyh40 Offline OP
Wanderer
beckyh40  Offline OP
Wanderer
B

South Dakota
Thank you both for helping!!
I live in a very 'ranching' community. Most dogs are working dogs around here. Although, some of the neighboring towns are starting to get dog parks. smile

I have sent out a letter to a dog 'baby sitter' type of business. It sounds like i can partner up with them, but just need to wait for the owner to get back from vacation. Kind of figure if you can take your dog to a doggy baby sitter everyday, you really care for your pets.

I DO take photos for Spirit of the Hills Wildlife Sanctuary ... which has dogs and cats up for adoption smile Every three months, so far, i have taken photos of anything adoptable. I send them to the lady in charge ... She puts them on Petfinder, and i put an album up on FB to share what they have available.

It sounds like we are starting to get more 'pet walks' but most of the time, i find out about them the day before hand.

I will have to look into groomers ... i have more people tell me that they have to get their pet groomed before photos. smile

DeborahKlenzman, thank you for the sweet comment smile I'm still learning the uploading part ... so, FB and my Web site are the best places to look at what i do.

Re: Question ... getting the word out [Re: DeborahKlenzman] #38753
05/16/12 05:34 PM
05/16/12 05:34 PM
South Dakota
B
beckyh40 Offline OP
Wanderer
beckyh40  Offline OP
Wanderer
B

South Dakota
Originally Posted By: DeborahKlenzman
Your photography is beautiful, Becky. I have worked with other pet professionals like pet store owners, pet groomers, vets and such. Also get involved with animal charity organizations.

May i ask how you 'worked with other pet professionals'? do you set some kind of deal up to benefit you both?

I feel like i need to get my name out there like three days ago. ha. We have a FB page for photographers in our area. Seems like i have 'INSPIRED' a couple of them to try pet photography. Which is ok, but i need to get MY name out there first. This is something i want to do for a long time. My heart feels so happy after sessions. I can't stop smiling, i truly feel HAPPY in life. I feel Happy for finding what i should be doing. ... SO, i feel like i NEED to get my name out there first. smile

Re: Question ... getting the word out [Re: beckyh40] #38754
05/17/12 12:02 AM
05/17/12 12:02 AM
James Morrissey Offline
I
James Morrissey  Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

That's really cool. Can you tell us a bit more about the ranching community? Are their any neighborhood/town institutions that you can communicate/link with? For example, doing work with the local schools (perhaps raffling a package, etc)?

James

Re: Question ... getting the word out [Re: James Morrissey] #38766
05/18/12 08:52 PM
05/18/12 08:52 PM
South Dakota
B
beckyh40 Offline OP
Wanderer
beckyh40  Offline OP
Wanderer
B

South Dakota
Just a little update smile I had a session for another photographer the other day. And i think i ROCKED the session. She even wrote this on her FB status the next day ...

"So for all the people I am leaving behind in July and who have asked for referrals, here they are, in no specific order. smile Future Framed Photography and Kelsey Kuns Photography would be my top picks. I myself have used them and LOVED the finished product. Enjoy!!"

I just booked 2 pet sessions off of her smile Of course, right now i am holding a Skipper Sale as an event on Facebook (Skipper was my old dog that was put down on May 30) With this 'sale' i have a total of 4 sessions booked. Just hoping i can ROCK these sessions to. Hoping for the ripple effect!

And as for the ranching community. NOT so great for pet photography. I had a friend that just recused some puppies from a rancher, because they didn't want puppies and where going to drowned them in the water. Most rancher dogs are just for work. frown ... So here is to hoping the FB event works. smile

Re: Question ... getting the word out [Re: beckyh40] #38772
05/21/12 11:20 AM
05/21/12 11:20 AM
James Morrissey Offline
I
James Morrissey  Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

That's awesome! Please keep us informed - and of course, be prepared to show some photos. :P

James

Re: Question ... getting the word out [Re: James Morrissey] #38820
05/30/12 11:06 PM
05/30/12 11:06 PM
South Dakota
B
beckyh40 Offline OP
Wanderer
beckyh40  Offline OP
Wanderer
B

South Dakota
Not the biggest hit, but at least i am taking SOME photos. I had only five bites, for a total of 7 dogs. I have taken three of the sessions already.

One of the ladies i did a session for awhile back ... well, they had to put there pup down. Now she is buying a session for a friend smile How sweet is that.

And beings i SUCK at uploading photos. I might just need to put the links in (sorry).

[img]https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=...&permPage=1[/img]

Re: Question ... getting the word out [Re: beckyh40] #38834
06/01/12 02:26 PM
06/01/12 02:26 PM
Northern California, USA
DeborahKlenzman Offline
Wanderer
DeborahKlenzman  Offline
Wanderer

Northern California, USA
Hi Becky,
I work with pet stores, groomers, vets, etc by having special photo day events. The store takes a percentage of the sales from the day. I also have pet day events for charity and donate some if not all proceeds.
I have also had contests, such as for Woofoween or Howloween, where the dogs are in costume, professionally photographed, and then the public votes on my website for a favorite. This is also a good charity fundraiser. Adding the charity causes the press to pick up on the story.
Making an effort to become friends with others in the pet industry gives you a tremendous advantage. You are highly recommended to all their customers and vice versa. I also take free photos of pet store and grooming shop owners and then make up big posters with my company name and number on them to put up in their store.
I got lots of ideas. Be as creative in your marketing as you are in your images. You will do great!
Debbie

Deborah Ann Klenzman
Artist and Photographer
www.progressiveportraits.com

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 541 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online629
Dec 4th, 2019

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer