07/28/12 04:31 PM
Manhattan, New York, New York
James Morrissey Offline OP
I
James Morrissey  Offline OP
I
Carpal Tunnel

Member Review: Paul Sumi shares his insights on Match Technical's Thumbs Up EP-7S F for the Fuji X-Pro 1 with the NWPphotoForum Community!

Re: Member Review: Match Technical’s Thumbs Up EP-7S F [Re: James Morrissey] #38988
07/28/12 04:35 PM
07/28/12 04:35 PM
I
I
Carpal Tunnel

I love my Fujifilm X-Pro 1, but I don't love that the camera's minimal hand grip makes it awkward to hold securely. And I'm always hitting the camera's exposure compensation dial or the Q button with my thumb by mistake.
Fujifilm does make an accessory hand grip. But I didn't like the idea of having to remove it each time I wanted to swap out the battery or SD card. Researching other options I ran across Match Technical Services (www.matchtechnical.com).

Match Technical has come up with an elegant solution to my situation with their Thumbs Up accessory thumb rests. Each one is custom designed and is available for the Leica M models and, more recently, Fujifilm X series cameras.

As you can see below, the Thumbs Up slides into the camera's hot shoe. Silicon inserts give a snug fit while protecting the camera body's finish.

PROS
• Definitely works as advertised
• Beautifully designed and manufactured
• Looks and feels like an integral, original part of the camera
• Fits snugly in the camera's hot shoe with no torquing, sloppiness or wiggling

I can now easily shoot with the camera one-handed - as I recently proved at a party while balancing a plate of food with the other hand. Its design also has the advantage of preventing one from accidentally moving the exposure compensation dial or Q button.

CONS
• May cause issues for some eyeglass wearers
• Attaches using the camera's hot shoe
• High cost

The Thumbs Up changes the way one holds the camera, moving the thumb about one inch in-board (to the left). If you are left-eyed and wear glasses, your thumb will probably brush against your glasses lens or frame. This may or may not be a deal-breaker. If you use your right eye for viewing, there is no issue.

The Thumbs Up attaches using the X-Pro 1's hot shoe and must be removed to attach a speedlight or flash remote.

Price matters. At US$129.88 list, this costs too much to be an impulse buy. As a point of comparison, Fujifilm's accessory grip is US$94.99.

The Bottom Line

I really like how the Thumbs Up has improved my X-Pro 1's handling, but I realize it is not a universal solution. Some may not think it is worth the price; and, for others, the X-Pro 1 handles fine as-is.

If possible, I recommend you try it before buying. If that is not possible, make sure that the return policy of Match Technical or their resellers is acceptable to you.

The End

Re: Member Review: Match Technical’s Thumbs Up EP-7S F [Re: James Morrissey] #38989
07/28/12 04:36 PM
07/28/12 04:36 PM
I
I
Carpal Tunnel

Special thanks to Paul Sumi for taking the time to write this review for us.

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 355 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online629
Dec 4th, 2019

Copyright �2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer