07/28/12 09:04 AM
07/28/12 09:04 AM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline OP
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline OP
Addict

Florida

Orlando Wetlands Park is a unique eco-system located in the town of Christmas, 20 miles east of downtown Orlando, Florida. It looks at first glance like a natural wetlands with an incredible variety of both animal and botanical wonders. But when you see the bermed roadways and walking paths, you realize it’s more than that. And you’d be right. It’s a lot more than that.

In 1986, the City of Orlando purchased 1,650 acres in Christmas to help filter wastewater generated by the Iron Bridge Regional Wastewater Reclamation Facility. The City converted this land, originally pasture, into a 1,220 acre man-made wetland treatment system that includes deep marsh areas, mixed marsh and wet prairie and hardwood swamps. The site is planted with 2.3 million aquatic plants – including 200,000 trees - to create a man-made wetlands that includes a 100-acre lake.

The Wetlands is home to over 220 species of birds, including blue-winged teal, green-winged teal, common moorhens and Amaerican coots. Wood storks, white ibis, black-crowned night herons, and other wading birds are common during the cooler months. Bald eagles, limpkins, and red-shouldered hawks, black vultures, and turkey vultures are year round residents in the Orlando Wetlands Park.

Raccoons, river otters, white-tailed deer and bobcats can be seen along the roads and hiking trails. The Orlando Wetlands is home to over 30 species of wildlife that are listed on the Florida Wildlife Conservation Commission's Threatened and Endangered Wildlife list.

I’ve lived in Orlando since 1989 and just discovered Orlando Wetlands Park last March. Since then, I’ve visited the park more than a dozen times and have never come home without several great shots of wading birds, flying birds, fabulous insects and flowers, and the occasional mammal. Oh, and Alligators. Lots of Alligators!

Orlando Wetlands Park is a model for how communities can deal with the issues of growth without ignoring the needs of the environment. In fact, with the Wetlands Park, Orlando has created a unique environment for resident and migratory wildlife and a wonderful place for local residents and visitors alike to experience the joys of nature in a man-made but completely natural environment. For photographers, it’s a paradise. I hope some of you will have the chance to experience it in the near future.

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Re: Orlando Wetlands Park [Re: Jim Garvie] #38990
07/29/12 01:44 AM
07/29/12 01:44 AM
NE Arkansas
K
K.B. Photography Offline
Tracker
K.B. Photography  Offline
Tracker
K

NE Arkansas
You've got a real gen on your hands there. I could only dream about such a place close to me.

Re: Orlando Wetlands Park [Re: K.B. Photography] #39013
08/01/12 11:01 PM
08/01/12 11:01 PM
Manhattan, New York, New York
James Morrissey Offline
I
James Morrissey  Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

Manhattan, New York, New York
Hey Jim,

Sorry, I missed this series. Thanks for sharing so many shots. I think my favorite (if there is one) is the ducks in the line. Very cute!

James

Re: Orlando Wetlands Park [Re: Jim Garvie] #39119
09/07/12 02:25 AM
09/07/12 02:25 AM
India
D
dolly Offline
Wanderer
dolly  Offline
Wanderer
D

India
Awesome pics! They are just lovely.

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 559 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online629
Dec 4th, 2019

Copyright �2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer