WI,USA
P
Paul Lueders Offline OP
Wanderer
Paul Lueders  Offline OP
Wanderer
P

WI,USA
I've been using "Windows Live Photo Gallery" for the past 6 years for post computer work on my photo images, and it's way past the time for me to step it up. I heard good things about "Lightroom", but I'm so afraid I won't be able to master it because I'm just not that savvy with computers. Any thought?

Paul Lueders
Re: "Lightroom" Difficult to master? [Re: Paul Lueders] #39221
10/21/12 04:46 PM
10/21/12 04:46 PM
Tucson, Arizona, USA
Tucson Jim Offline
Old hand
Tucson Jim  Offline
Old hand

Tucson, Arizona, USA
Paul:

The short answer to your question is that, while the user interface appears somewhat complicated, learning to use the software effectively is not terribly difficult. Especially if you avail yourself of the wealth of resources available to help. I found Scott Kelby's book "Lightroom3" particularly helpful. Both the book and the software are now available in Version 4.

I am neither a pro-level photographer nor particularly adept at mastering complicated image editing software applications. I still can't figure out layers. However, I currently use Lightroom 3 for almost all of my post processing tasks. I also have the Windows Live Photo Gallery Suite on my computer and took a few basic classes on using it a couple of years ago. Lightroom is far superior and much more versatile in my opinion.

But, before you make any purchase, I recommend you visit Adobe's web site and do some research to be sure Lightroom is really what you need/want, or if Photoshop Elements is more what you need. There are a wealth of excellent "How To" tutorials available both at adobe and on You Tube.

I'm not mentioning the top of the line Photoshop cS5 because its price tag mirrors its impressive list of features and my impression is that it does require a lot of effort to master.

I consider Lightroom's strength to be its ability to organize your images, standardize your post processing workflow, and batch process routine tasks. For example, you can set it up to add copyright info; make adjustments to exposure, white balance, sharpening, etc. as part of the initial import process. But, if you want to do stuff like removing that light pole sprouting from Aunt Sally's head or add some clouds to a clear blue sky, etc., you would need Photoshop cS5 or its much cheaper and nearly as powerful Photoshop Elements.

Lightroom4 is currently available at Amazon for download at $119, but B&H Photo has the Boxed Full Version (including the Kelby Training DVD: Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 Crash Course which they also sell separately for $49.95) I don't know if this is a sale or if it reflects a change in their pricing structure, since it used to cost $299.- retail.

Jim

Re: "Lightroom" Difficult to master? [Re: Tucson Jim] #39232
10/23/12 08:16 PM
10/23/12 08:16 PM
WI,USA
P
Paul Lueders Offline OP
Wanderer
Paul Lueders  Offline OP
Wanderer
P

WI,USA
thanks a lot Jim!

Paul Lueders

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 567 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online629
Dec 4th, 2019

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer