Manhattan, New York, New York
James Morrissey Offline OP
I
James Morrissey  Offline OP
I
Carpal Tunnel

Hey Everyone,

I just posted a new article on our trip to Yellowstone/Grand Teton. Hope everyone likes it.

http://www.nwpphotoforum.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=39248

James

Re: Fall Camping in Yellowstone/Grand Teton NP [Re: James Morrissey] #39257
11/01/12 08:38 PM
11/01/12 08:38 PM
Tucson, Arizona, USA
Tucson Jim Offline
Old hand
Tucson Jim  Offline
Old hand

Tucson, Arizona, USA
James:

Enjoyed your story and accompanying photos of your most recent Fall sojourn to Yellowstone and the Tetons.

Jim

Re: Fall Camping in Yellowstone/Grand Teton NP [Re: Tucson Jim] #39258
11/02/12 11:46 AM
11/02/12 11:46 AM
I
I
Carpal Tunnel

Thanks, Jim. This was a really tough year for me photographically. I THINK, LOL, that I did OK. However, I don't have the 'good job' sense that I normally feel after putting up an article. Are there any photos you like best and any you think really should not have cut the mustard?

James

Re: Fall Camping in Yellowstone/Grand Teton NP [Re: James Morrissey] #39263
11/02/12 03:05 PM
11/02/12 03:05 PM
Tucson, Arizona, USA
Tucson Jim Offline
Old hand
Tucson Jim  Offline
Old hand

Tucson, Arizona, USA
Hi James:

The shots I liked best are the one of the cabin catching the morning light, the one shot through the window frame, and the one with your friends standing by the barn.

I also like the shot of the moose in the river, but wonder if it would benefit from some additional post processing . . . something I am pretty much clueless about. However, I wonder if bumping up the blacks a touch would help ameliorate the affects of the haze a little. Also, maybe a slight boost of the clarity and vibrance sliders would add a little more pop to it.

The one I liked the least was the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone shot. Too much Canyon in the foreground for my taste, but great job with the ND filters.

The Tetons are one of my favorite places in the world and, with one exception, we have always camped at Gros Ventre. Your article reminded me of one of my favorite camping memories. Over 30 years ago, when we were camping in Gros Ventre in late July, we had driven in to Jackson Hole for groceries. That afternoon, as we wandered around town looking for a restaurant to have dinner in, the sky became increasingly overcast and there was a sudden chill in the air. It felt like snow was coming. On a hunch, we ducked into a local outfitter and bought the only catalytic heater they had in stock.

By the time we finished dinner, it was pretty obvious that a major storm was blowing in. We had a really difficult time getting back to our truck for all the people stopping us to inquire where we got the heater and offering to double or even triple our money to sell it. We resisted the temptation, and that evening the temperature plummeted and it snowed a couple of inches.

Your story also reminded me of the time we were camping on the North Rim and, as is extremely rare for me, I actually got up early enough to drive to Imperial Point to catch the morning light. We arrived during the waning moments of the golden hour and there was only one other photographer there. With nothing but a hand held point & shoot, he and his friend managed to somehow monopolize every spot I wanted to shoot from till it was too late.

Jim

Re: Fall Camping in Yellowstone/Grand Teton NP [Re: James Morrissey] #39269
11/04/12 08:43 AM
11/04/12 08:43 AM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline
Addict

Florida
James,
frankly, I loved the barn shots -- all of them. Great structures and you captured them in wonderful light and at great angles. Also loved the shot of the Moose crossing the stream. And, of course, the sunrise. Like Jim, I'm not crazy about the canyon shot but maybe that's because the other ones are really good. Thanks for sharing. I've gotta get out there some day.

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Re: Fall Camping in Yellowstone/Grand Teton NP [Re: Jim Garvie] #39276
11/05/12 02:23 PM
11/05/12 02:23 PM
I
I
Carpal Tunnel

Thanks, guys. I have another shot of the Canyon that I am in the process of trying to upload onto the server. For some reason, my Wild Coyote server is blocking me (though NWP's is doing just fine). It has a bit less canyon and a bit more fall in it. I went with this particular shot of the falls because it has a slightly different look then what I am used to seeing - but, lol, it may be seen less for reasons, it appears.

I am trying to figure out what I can do to increase the clarity on the moose shot....honestly, this is something I am not awesome at. LOL, I know I like the shot - but I also know it has flaws. I want to maximize the positives so that I do not have to worry about the negatives (i.e. for example, I think that I did not include enough sky on either side of the image...).

James

Re: Fall Camping in Yellowstone/Grand Teton NP [Re: James Morrissey] #39278
11/06/12 12:46 AM
11/06/12 12:46 AM
Helena, MT
D
Don Edwards Offline
Venturer
Don Edwards  Offline
Venturer
D

Helena, MT
Thanks for giving me an idea of what to look forward to next year. Wife and I will be making a trip there for a wedding in September. We've always wanted to visit Yellowstone in the fall and now is our chance. We usually go in the spring, mid to late May.
Loved all the photos

Don

"I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight."

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 348 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online629
Dec 4th, 2019

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer