12/18/12 03:16 PM
12/18/12 03:16 PM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline OP
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline OP
Addict

Florida
With a week remaining before Christmas, we wanted to wish everyone on the NWP Forum a very Happy Holiday Season. This year's card features our big boy, Sundance, doing his best Bob Marley imitation smile. Sundance is Annihaus Cassidy's Sundance Kid CGC, HIC and he'll be 6 years old on January 4.

We would like to echo SunnyD's sentiments this year: we wish everyone peace and joy and no hassles.

Wishing everyone a very happy and successful 2013.

Jim & the entire Garvie Pack

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Re: Happy Holidays From [Re: Jim Garvie] #39387
12/19/12 09:26 AM
12/19/12 09:26 AM
Illinois
Peggy Sue Offline
Pooh-Bah
Peggy Sue  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Illinois
Way funny and you guys have been affected by the heat smile

Wishing you all a very Merry Christmas!

Peggy Sue
Re: Happy Holidays From [Re: Peggy Sue] #39388
12/19/12 07:31 PM
12/19/12 07:31 PM
Manhattan, New York, New York
James Morrissey Offline
I
James Morrissey  Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

Awesome, Jim!! This is really fun.

James

Re: Happy Holidays From [Re: Jim Garvie] #39389
12/20/12 10:07 AM
12/20/12 10:07 AM
Kansas
psmith Offline
Pooh-Bah
psmith  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Kansas
I like it. We are in a blizzard right now , so this was quite refreshing.

Re: Happy Holidays From [Re: psmith] #39392
12/22/12 12:18 PM
12/22/12 12:18 PM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline OP
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline OP
Addict

Florida
Just an update for your information: Sundance was rushed to the vet on Thursday morning and underwent an emergency splenectomy. They found 3 masses on the spleen when they removed it and have sent them off for pathology. Two of them had ruptured and his abdomen was filled with blood.

However, when the surgeon was in the abdomen, she found no additional signs of tumors on any other organs, particularly the liver. And Xrays showed clear lungs and a strong heart. I guess I shouldn't be surprised about the latter smile. Sundance spent the night at an Emergency Clinic and we took him back to our vet for a day of monitoring and tests yesterday and, last evening, he was released to go home. He virtually ran to the van (and he's not supposed to be able to walk) and with just a bit of help climbed in.

Last night, he slept in bed with Linda and went out with me a few times to pee -- a good sign actually. This morning he had another blood test and his blood levels are increasing in a positive way. He was very sweet during the visit, let the lab techs take his blood without breaking his sit/stay and even gave his vet a kiss (he has excellent taste). He's now eaten two full meals and had two normal bowel movements -- details you probably don't need to know but it is a very positive sign of his recovery. The vet is very impressed. He is a very strong boy.

When we brought Sundance in a couple of months ago, he weighed 137 lbs. This morning, he weighed 120 lbs. Most of that weight loss was due to the removal of the spleen but he's a much more svelte boy right now. So, we gave him a few bites of our shortbread cookies this morning just to help him regain his strength smile.

The prognosis is complicated: if the tumors are benign, he should recover from the surgery and live a long, happy life. If the results come in as hemangiosarcoma, we will have to explore treatment options. But one thing we do know: Sundance is a very strong young dog and he can handle anything we need to ask him to do.

We would appreciate you keeping SunnyD in you thoughts this Holiday Season.

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Re: Happy Holidays From [Re: Jim Garvie] #39393
12/23/12 09:10 AM
12/23/12 09:10 AM
Kansas
psmith Offline
Pooh-Bah
psmith  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Kansas
Thanks for the update. I'll say prayers for him, you take good care of him.

Re: Happy Holidays From [Re: psmith] #39395
12/24/12 04:37 PM
12/24/12 04:37 PM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline OP
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline OP
Addict

Florida
Thank you, Preston. I know you have an acute appreciation for what we're going through right now. Having said that, SunnyD is doing very well physically. His blood numbers are almost back to normal and he's eating like a horse. He's now an almost svelte 120 lbs. but the surgeon said that most of that weight-loss was due to the spleen and tumors. She's cautiously optimistic given how well he's recovering from the surgery itself. Obviously, we have to get the pathology report and then we'll go from there. But we're very happy that Sundance is happy right now.

Here's a photo I took of him yesterday donning his antlers to help Santa out on his rounds tonight. He was just his typical self for the shoot. My best model in the household.

And every Christmas, I vow to get out and take some really cool Christmas lighting shots and this year I had planned to shoot the fountain at Lake Eola in downtown Orlando. Well, the Sundance situation has pretty much tied me to the house for the past week and will be keeping me here for at least another so last night, I went out and took some lighting shots just within the neighborhood. Here's an effect I've always wanted to create. So much easier with digital than film smile. Enjoy. And Merry Christmas to everyone.

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Re: Happy Holidays From [Re: Jim Garvie] #39398
12/26/12 01:25 AM
12/26/12 01:25 AM
James Morrissey Offline
I
James Morrissey  Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

Hi Jim,

Thank you for the holiday wishes. I hope everything is ultimately OK with your guy. We just got in from visiting our family in Rhode Island. Over-all, it was a satisfying week. Lol, now I need to get off my arse and update the site articles. I am trying to re-post Preston's, but I am having some technical difficulties converting the code.

James

Re: Happy Holidays From [Re: Jim Garvie] #39455
01/12/13 10:33 AM
01/12/13 10:33 AM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline OP
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline OP
Addict

Florida
For my friends on the Forum I wanted to give you an update on Sundance. Yesterday, we said goodbye to our dear boy. He fought hard to come back from the surgery and appeared to be doing well enough a week ago for us to start chemo. However, early this week, he went downhill and required a blood transfusion and treatment for a possible ulcer. Yesterday, his bloodwork confirmed that he was not improving and was close to crashing. And so we reluctantly decided to do the humane thing and held him as he passed into eternity. He was only 6 years old.

Here is an image of him as a 4-week old puppy and the last one I took of him just before Christmas. Sundance: January 4, 2007 - January 11, 2013. He was a very good dog.

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Re: Happy Holidays From [Re: Jim Garvie] #39456
01/13/13 05:59 PM
01/13/13 05:59 PM
James Morrissey Offline
I
James Morrissey  Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

Hey Jim,

We are so sorry for your loss. Sundance was very special.

James

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 170 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online629
Dec 4th, 2019

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer