02/21/13 10:32 AM
02/21/13 10:32 AM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline OP
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline OP
Addict

Florida
Maybe this is just me and the way I shoot, but I don't quite get the value of all the new cameras with a "kazillion" focus points. OK, that's an exaggeration but can someone tell me the value of having 45 or 51 or 61 focus points.

To put it in context, I use a Canon 7D for most of my shooting both professional and personal. It has 19 focus points all cross-hair. Swell. I use the center focus point for 95% of my shooting and will occasionally use the expanded center point for action/tracking. I have never used the full-frame focus point selection. Why? Because even when I'm shooting landscapes, I know the place I want to have in critical focus even if it's not in the center of the frame. I'm actually smarter than the camera smile.

When I track action like birds in flight, I put the center point on the bird and track it. In AIServo, it stays in focus. When I shoot dogs moving in the ring, I put the center focus point on them and track them the same way.

Like I said, maybe it's just me and the way I shoot but I don't get the value -- to me at least -- of having all those peripheral focus points at least for what I shoot and the way I shoot it. So, I'd appreciate some information for those of you that actually use all the focus points. What do you shoot and what is the advantage of using all of them?

Thanks,

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Re: Multiple Focus Points [Re: Jim Garvie] #39535
02/22/13 04:52 PM
02/22/13 04:52 PM
Manhattan, New York, New York
James Morrissey Offline
I
James Morrissey  Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

Hey Jim,

I pretty much agree with you. Instead of using the entire swath of focus points on my 5d iii, I typically make the focus areas larger and bounce between zones. For AF tracking for BIF, etc, I will switch to the larger spread...but that is the exception to the rule. Generally, I like to pre-focus when shooting any moving object. I find I get better results by predicting where I think the object is going - rather than the camera doing it. Of course, LOL, that does not always work...

James

Re: Multiple Focus Points [Re: James Morrissey] #39537
02/23/13 09:56 AM
02/23/13 09:56 AM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline OP
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline OP
Addict

Florida
James,
for your moving shots, are you shooting hand-held or on a tripod or monopod?

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Re: Multiple Focus Points [Re: Jim Garvie] #39539
02/25/13 02:49 PM
02/25/13 02:49 PM
James Morrissey Offline
I
James Morrissey  Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

Hey Jim,

My camera pretty much universally stands on a tripod...certainly with the big lenses on that. Having said that, I have been know to take the 120-300 OS in hand. I don't bother with monopods anymore as I don't see them as being a useful compromise between hand held and a tripod (I know I will get flamed on that. This is just my personal experience).

James

Re: Multiple Focus Points [Re: James Morrissey] #39540
02/26/13 10:45 AM
02/26/13 10:45 AM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline OP
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline OP
Addict

Florida
James,
I don't use a tripod or monopod for my wildlife shooting or my dog sports or action shots so it's a lot easier for me to control where I put the center point when I'm in AI Servo. I do use a tripod for Show Formals but that's it. When I shoot landscapes, I also use a tripod mainly because it slows me down which I think is useful for me when doing that type of photography.

As for monopods, I've used them and I don't really like them. For the same reasons you mentioned -- if I'm going to hand-hold rather than use a tripod, that's what I'll do. The monopod only hinders my ability to get high or low when I need to in order to track what I'm shooting.

Take care,

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Re: Multiple Focus Points [Re: Jim Garvie] #39612
04/02/13 11:37 PM
04/02/13 11:37 PM
Yukon Canada
Y
Yukonica Offline
Wanderer
Yukonica  Offline
Wanderer
Y

Yukon Canada
I agree with you both. As long as I can choose which focus point I want highlighted I don't need more. I can't recall the last time my camera (7D) was set to anything else.

Yukonica

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 356 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online629
Dec 4th, 2019

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer