07/13/13 12:02 PM
Manhattan, New York, New York
James Morrissey Offline
I
James Morrissey  Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

That sucks. I have a sibling who has been on furlough. You almost tend to forget about it because the media have mived onto other things. Anyway, I am glad that you made the trip. The grizz shots are great. Did you get any other stuff while out? The East Side is the best for sunrises. My friend, Steve, was out there yesterday and said that the main road was being shut down at 9 pm for construction, which makes it difficult to get a sunrise AND a sunset.

James

Re: Quick bear shots from Glacier NP [Re: James Morrissey] #39823
07/17/13 10:42 PM
07/17/13 10:42 PM
Eden (no really!)
J
jamesdak Offline OP
Old hand
jamesdak  Offline OP
Old hand
J

Eden (no really!)
My last trip there I got an awesome shot of the mountain reflected in the lake up by the Many Glaciers lodge. On this trip I wanted to get the same shot but with using my 100mm Contax to break it up into multiple frames I could then merge in photoshop for one huge image. But despite 4 morning trips to get it the wind was always kicking and not only messing up the water but really shaking me and the tripod mounted camera.

This is the shot from several years ago. Wanted to do it again with more of the mountains on each side for more of a pano shot.

I did get some other shots this way though. Like the Goose Island shot that everyone takes. I shot that in about 20 frames from my 5D. Then I got the huge overlook with the falls right before Logan Pass in 31 frames using my super sharp Leica 180/3.4 lens. I have that one being printed right now at around 30 x 50 on a gallery wrap. I'll have to wait to print others until the furlough is over.

I've also got a different version of this one ready to be printed large. It's 20 some odd frames. Another scene I kept striking out on. Seemed like everytime I tried to shoot it the clouds would block the sun and I couldn't get an evenly lit scene.

Re: Quick bear shots from Glacier NP [Re: jamesdak] #39825
07/18/13 04:35 PM
07/18/13 04:35 PM
James Morrissey Offline
I
James Morrissey  Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

That's intense. Several folks I know are doing similar things. I have not gotten there outside of traditional panos. I am trying to figure out how I would do something like that with the way I use my filters (essentially I dodge and burn in camera and no two shots are ever really identical)...

James

Re: Quick bear shots from Glacier NP [Re: James Morrissey] #39827
07/19/13 04:03 PM
07/19/13 04:03 PM
Eden (no really!)
J
jamesdak Offline OP
Old hand
jamesdak  Offline OP
Old hand
J

Eden (no really!)
Yep, when I do this kind of work I have to give up my filters. So it really takes something fairly evenly lit. I love using gradient ND filters and polarizers for landscapes so it can be hard working without them. I think if I can ever take the time to learn HDR I can solve a lot of the problems with scenes where I would normal use a gradient filter. One of these days I really need to learn photoshop.

Re: Quick bear shots from Glacier NP [Re: jamesdak] #39829
07/22/13 02:51 PM
07/22/13 02:51 PM
James Morrissey Offline
I
James Morrissey  Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

I hear you, James. I have had a real mixed bag with HDR. There are some times when I find it really useful, but many times when I feel that a filter provides a much more natural over-all effect. I was working on an article on 'when to use which' but I never really got around to finishing it. frown

James

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 367 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online629
Dec 4th, 2019

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer