06/19/06 06:22 PM
06/19/06 06:22 PM
J
JeffDinPA Offline OP
Old hand
JeffDinPA  Offline OP
Old hand
J

I went back this past Friday and visited Hawk Mt. Made a very nice hike for myself which I am still feeling. It was a farily nice day, warm, but only 90°, and pretty clear. I got a few shots I thought I would share. The views are great, I just find it difficult to effectively put them on film.

In the above photo, you are looking south, This is called the South Lookout because it is the most southern one. See the light area in the middle of the valley, That's called the "River of Rocks". My Hike took me, to the right from this lookout, down into the valley and between the two of them. I exited the valley to the left and up that slope to the ridge on the left. There is about a 700 foot vertical difference between the valley and ridge and the "River of Rocks" is about a mile away from the South Lookout.

Standing in the "River" looking back at the starting point.

Looking North from the second ridge top.

A view from the North Lookout, about 1 mile north of the South Lookout. This is the same valley but the different angle has the trees blocking views of the River of Rocks.

And I did go to see if the Black Vulture was Successful. She was still there and there was at least one youngster. The little one hide very well in it's cave/nest, but this adult came out to keep an eye on me. I really wanted a photo of a down covered chick but wasn't going to pester them that much.

C&C always appreiciated.

Thanks, Jeff
Re: Another Trip to Hawk Mt. [Re: JeffDinPA] #3992
06/19/06 11:49 PM
06/19/06 11:49 PM
Montana
Tony Bynum Offline
Pooh-Bah
Tony Bynum  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Montana
very good job! I dont know what more I would have done! I like them all. You did a great job under difficult lighting too! That's a cool place. . . Thanks for posting.

Re: Another Trip to Hawk Mt. [Re: Tony Bynum] #3993
06/20/06 06:59 AM
06/20/06 06:59 AM
J
JeffDinPA Offline OP
Old hand
JeffDinPA  Offline OP
Old hand
J

Thank you Tony,
I do enjoy this location. I plan on returning to experiment with different lighting.

Thanks, Jeff
Re: Another Trip to Hawk Mt. [Re: JeffDinPA] #3994
06/21/06 01:18 AM
06/21/06 01:18 AM
Manhattan, New York, New York
James Morrissey Offline
I
James Morrissey  Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

Manhattan, New York, New York
Hey Jeff,

You do a nice job - particularly when you consider how harsh the light was. I need to get out there with you one weekend. It is not such a long drive from NYC.

James

Re: Another Trip to Hawk Mt. [Re: James Morrissey] #3995
06/21/06 11:22 AM
06/21/06 11:22 AM
J
JeffDinPA Offline OP
Old hand
JeffDinPA  Offline OP
Old hand
J

Thanks James, Yes you do need to come on out. Straight out Rt 78 from the Holland tunnel. The invitation is always there, you and anyone else that would like to visit the sanctuary.

You and Tony both mention the lighting. I know the river of rocks is harsh, unfortunately it was 1 in the afternoon. It was only 3:00 for the vulture shots. But what about the lookout photos? The first one was shot at 5:15, I waited for the setting sun but if I waited longer the Mt. Would start to throw shadows in the valley. The first lookout photo is the starting and ending point. I started at high noon, so I waited until I returned to take the shot. I plan on returning to the south lookout to see it in different light. It is only ¼ mile from the car so the effort is low:)

Thanks, Jeff

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 477 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online876
Apr 25th, 2024

Copyright �2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer