12/16/13 12:29 AM
Manhattan, New York, New York
James Morrissey Offline OP
I
James Morrissey  Offline OP
I
Carpal Tunnel

James Morrissey shares how he unclogs/unjams/unblocks his Epson 4900 Printer.

http://www.nwpphotoforum.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=40109

Re: How to UnClog or Unjam Epson 4900 Ink Heads [Re: James Morrissey] #40110
12/16/13 12:30 AM
12/16/13 12:30 AM
I
I
Carpal Tunnel

Instructions on How to Unclog/unjam an Epson 4900 Inkjet Printer.

As many of you know, I have a real love-hate relationship with my Epson 4900. I purchased it just prior to the 2012 Westminster Dog Show so that I could make prints at a lower cost. I expounded upon the virtues of the Epson 4900 at that time in the following link:

http://www.nwpphotoforum.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=38467#Post38467

However, over the last two years, some of the great excitement has worn off. While I am still 100% thrilled by the quality of the prints, and the amazing range of media provided by Epson, I have had nothing but problems with ink heads getting clogged. I even received warning messages from my Epson 4900 printer that it was time to replace the printer as the product parts had exceeded their warranty life.

As I did not purchase the extended warranty on my Epson 4900 printer (as generally my feeling is that extended warranties are a tax on stupid people), I have been feeling more than a little burned, and LOL, more than a little bit stupid. Having been invited a couple of years back to a focus group by Epson, I still had the email address for one of the execs, and I launched off a rather scathing indictment of my frustrations with the printer. It lead essentially nowhere as my printer was out of warranty, but at least I got some of my feelings out about what I see as a rather glaring problem with a very high cost product. First moral of the story? If buying a new Epson 4900 printer, consider the warranty.

I was initially hesitant about posting this article as I was concerned that my problems may be unique. Also, it is not my goal to disparage Epson, as I am generally really pleased by the output when it works. However, after I did some searches online, I learned that many others are having the same problems that I have been suffering. I also found a great YouTube Video from the folks at Pro Digital Gear walking people through the process of cleaning their printer. It is essentially the same method that I had been using to clean the ink heads on my printers going all the way back to Epson 1270 printer. To see them walk you through their process on a video, click this link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lU6PbizbKaw

The method I am about to show you is similar - though I have made some tweeks that I believe are helpful.

WARNING - This is just for people who are at wits ends with their Epson x900, and do not have a product that is in warranty. Also, I must say "buyer beware." Do this at your own risk and liability. I do not endorse that you do anything different from what Epson says to do with a printer that is in warranty. I am only sharing what I have done with my printer because I felt that I essentially had a $2500 paperweight on my desk (being nearly full of ink).

1. Install the Epson LFP Remote Panel 2 Software.
2. Perform a Nozzle Check using the Epson LFP Software.

The link to the EPson LFP Remote Panel 2 Software can be found:
http://esupport.epson-europe.com/FileDet...0&id=374405

Note, I am assuming that you more than likely have gotten this far and that the ink heads are completely jammed. Usually, I get an error message indicating, "The printer's ink tubes are nearing the end of their service life. Please contact Epson support." This is, sadly, the 'kiss of death' if your printer is not in warranty. However, after speaking with Epson Customer Service, I was told that this error was not correct and that it was a sign that the printer is really - really - backed up.

3. Make sure your ink head is unlocked. This happens during the short period when you initially turn on the printer and the head is initializing. During the period that the printer head begins to move back and forth on the carriage, UNPLUG the printer immediately. Make sure that you do not force the head. It should freely move. If it is not, restart the process.
4. Open the hood again and gently slide the printer head to the middle of the tray.

5. Saturate a folded thick paper towel (I fold it in quarters) with Original Windex or Equivalent. The guys on the video specify the non-foaming type. I have never used it, so I do not know. NOTE** Please do not skimp out on paper. Get some Viva or other such quality paper that is durable. The last place you want paper break down is on your heads. Note, as an alternative to Windex, I have also used Rubbing Alcohol in high concentrations, which has also helped. **

6. Lay the FOLDED paper towel into the print head area and gently bring the print head over the paper towel. You may have to slightly pick up the head to make sure that the paper does not get roll under the head. You want to keep the paper flat on the tray.

That, ladies and gentleman, is the hard part. Now, go out and photograph or something for a few hours.

7. Swap out the paper towels about every 3 or 4 hours. This allows you to see if the inks are separating nicely or just coming out in loads of gunk. Eventually, the inks should start coming out in to their component colors. That is a good sign that "the end is near."

8. Remove the paper towels when you have done this three or four times.

9. Close the printer unit
10. Plug in the power
11. Run the Epson LFP Remote Panel 2, performing a nozzle check.

Try a clean cycle - I usually start with a power clean and then an auto clean.

Having spoken to my friend, John Isaac (ahem, Name Drop), about his Epson 3880, I learned that he has never had a problem with his Epson clogging. This struck me as a bit odd as the printers are very similar and came out about the same time. One thing that he mentioned to me is that he 'never shuts his printer off.' With that in mind, I reached out to Epson customer support who actually said the same thing - "Shut off the auto-power off."

12. This can be done by pressing the pause button when the printer is in start-up mode. You can go through the directories and terminate the auto-shut off feature.

Sadly, my experience has been that this has had zero effect on my problems. I still did it anyway because the tech guy suggested it to me. However, my experience has been that the only thing that has really worked has been printing regularly. By regularly, I try to print at least a couple of times a week. It is frustrating because I don't have quite that much volume. Second Moral of the Story? If you don't have the volume, make the volume. It is a heck of a lot cheaper than going through a maintenance box of ink in deep cleans.

I hope this was helpful. Good luck.

Re: How to UnClog or Unjam Epson 4900 Ink Heads [Re: James Morrissey] #40111
12/16/13 12:33 AM
12/16/13 12:33 AM
I
I
Carpal Tunnel

Please note that the material in this article is (c) 2013, James Morrissey and the Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum. Please feel free to share the link, but don't copy the article. The first image, of the Epson 4900, is a stock image that was provided to us by Epson when we wrote our article on the 2012 Dog Show.

Re: How to UnClog or Unjam Epson 4900 Ink Heads [Re: James Morrissey] #40129
12/23/13 04:27 PM
12/23/13 04:27 PM
I
I
Carpal Tunnel

FYI. I wanted to post a follow up. Two and a half years after purchasing my Epson 4900, it has officially stopped working. The heads are cracked. I am assuming mostly from excessive cleaning over the years. Honestly, the printer has never really worked to my satisfaction from the day the guys who drop ship for Epson ROLLED the box into my apartment. However, it was still a bit of an emotional blow.

I have decided to purchase an Epson 7900....while it is reputed to have the same issues as the 4900, I am going to move the printer to a more suitable place in the room (not next to the window and heater, where the 4900 was placed). I will also buy the extended warranty - which I strongly recommend to anyone buying one of these devices. Also, I will purchase a humidifier to make the room less dry.

Good luck to those with the 4900. It makes spectacular prints when it works. Hopefully, I will not be going from the frying pan back into the fire.

James

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 339 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online629
Dec 4th, 2019

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer