Manhattan, New York, New York
James Morrissey Offline OP
I
James Morrissey  Offline OP
I
Carpal Tunnel

Hey Everyone,

I woke up this morning for the first time in the last four days not shooting at the hotel. I am pretty wiped, and my quads feel like they were fused together. Taking the public sewer every day with all of my gear (and incidentals) definitely took a physical toll. But, I am back. :P

This year was a record in terms of number of portraits. We shot 61 dogs. We also received some really nice accolades, including an invite to photograph the French Bull Dog specialty in October in Massachusetts (which if I can swing, I would like to do).

James

Re: B ack...and exhausted. [Re: James Morrissey] #40254
02/14/14 10:44 AM
02/14/14 10:44 AM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline
Addict

Florida
James,
sounds like a lot of work both getting in and out and when on the floor but it also sounds like you had a great time and did great business. Win/win. Congrats.

Glad the Frenchie folks like your work and that they want you at their National. For portraits, formals or both? Love Frenchies. One of my favorite breeds.

Can't wait to see some images when you're ready to share.

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Re: B ack...and exhausted. [Re: James Morrissey] #40257
02/14/14 07:50 PM
02/14/14 07:50 PM
Tucson, Arizona, USA
Tucson Jim Offline
Old hand
Tucson Jim  Offline
Old hand

Tucson, Arizona, USA
Congratulations James!

Every year you have done better and better. Now all you need to do is make friends with somebody that owns a Van that would be willing to pick you and drop you off each day. smile

As long as they are already there, they might as well give you a hand with the set up and break down too. laugh

Better start looking now, though, cause I think that guy will probably be pretty tough to find.

Jim

Re: B ack...and exhausted. [Re: Jim Garvie] #40260
02/17/14 06:07 PM
02/17/14 06:07 PM
I
I
Carpal Tunnel

Thanks, Jim. Believe it or not, business was slightly worse than last year - though I made it up on numbers. While I had fare many more clients (nearly a 50% increase over 2013), I did not have the number of big ticket purchasers that I have had in prior years. I am not exactly sure why. I will be writing more about my thoughts on that in my blog when I get a chance in the restricted business forum at some point.

As to the Frenchie folks, I was pretty non-committal so I doubt I will hear back from them. The problem was that I am supposed to be going on a workshop with Kossack about 1,000 miles away. Given that I will be in Yellowstone at the end of September, Yosemite at the beginning of September and Great Smoky in October, I felt it was just too much. Having said that, I appreciate being asked. :P If they do reach out to me, I may still try to fit them in and do it. It would be nice to branch out - but I only get 4 weeks of vacation a year, and I want to keep photography a 'second' job. It would be fun to photograph 250 Frenchies though, so if we can come to an agreement then I will definitely consider it.

James

Re: B ack...and exhausted. [Re: Tucson Jim] #40261
02/17/14 06:08 PM
02/17/14 06:08 PM
I
I
Carpal Tunnel

Hey Jim,

Thanks. Yes. You are right. A guy with a van is pretty easy to find...lol, but they do have to be paid for. A friend with a van is a bit harder to find. frown

James

Re: Back...and exhausted. [Re: James Morrissey] #40271
02/21/14 09:32 PM
02/21/14 09:32 PM
I
I
Carpal Tunnel

Post processing hell has begun its second week. I have more then enough images for an article which is kind of cool. I just hope that I can knock them out with enough time that an article is still salient. :P Chanthee and I have to go to RI this weekend to visit people, so that is also putting a crimp in things. Having said that, I am nearly half way processed (or baked, depending on my mood). Not bad. I may get everything out within 4 weeks, which will be another record.

James

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 539 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online629
Dec 4th, 2019

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer