Manhattan, New York, New York
James Morrissey Offline OP
I
James Morrissey  Offline OP
I
Carpal Tunnel

Hey Everyone,

I just posted an article on the 2014 Westminster Dog Show. I hope that people enjoy it.

http://www.nwpphotoforum.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=40306#Post40304

Re: New Article - Westminster Dog Show 2014 [Re: James Morrissey] #40317
03/17/14 12:34 PM
03/17/14 12:34 PM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline
Addict

Florida
James,
just read your Article on Westminster. First of all, congratulations on a successful show. I'm not sure I would have opted for the printer as a solution to your production needs but if that's where you're comfortable and you're happy with the results, then it obviously was the right choice for you.

The images posted are outstanding. Great work. You should be proud.

As for image theft: welcome to our world grin. We show photographers have been dealing with this for the last few years and it only gets worse; not better. Trying to explain copyright law to people who only want to scan your prints for social media or for advertising is tantamount to talking to the wall. They don't get it; they don't want to get it; and they never will get it. I personally believe the only solution is to offer the market what it wants. And prints -- especially that old standby the 8X10 print -- may have gone the way of the Dodo Bird. IMHO.

As for specialty prints -- canvas wraps, metal prints, etc. -- I believe that is still a profitable area of business for us because most folks don't know where to get them and they are willing to pay a premium for them. But increasingly, the folks using EZ Prints, AdoramaPix and other consumer labs have access to those products as do the photo hosting sites like Smugmug and people will want to purchase your files so they can save money on the production.

For show pictures, the game is much simpler and the decision seems to be much more obvious. People do not want prints. They do not want to pay for prints. They want files and they'll pay for them if they can get them quickly (instant gratification is the product of social media and cameraphones) and cheaply. Most digital show photographers have been pricing their files like we used to price negatives in film days. I'm not sure that's relevant any more. I'm an exhibitor as well as a photographer and I often wonder why I have to pay more for a file when the photographer doesn't need to print or mail me a print. They can just deliver a file via email. And, yes, I do understand copyright law and usage fees. I just don't think they mean anything any more. Check out what Getty Images and 500px are doing if you want tangible proof of that.

Like you, I'm giving a lot of thought to both product and pricing moving forward. Not to mention whether or not it's really worth it financially to shoot some of the shows I've shot in the past. But that's fodder for another day. As for your Westminster experience, I'm delighted you had a great show. Now, let's hope you can feed that 7900 with enough paying work to make it a prudent purchase.

Great article. I enjoyed it and it gave me more to think about.

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Re: New Article - Westminster Dog Show 2014 [Re: Jim Garvie] #40324
03/20/14 06:35 PM
03/20/14 06:35 PM
I
I
Carpal Tunnel

Hey Jim,

Thank you for the very thoughtful response. I agree with you about prints - but interestingly, I sold more prints this year than I did digital files...I was definitely surprised by that. Now that the prints are mostly gone, I may go back to my clients to see if they wish to purchase the digital images for their websites.

As to the 7900, it was definitely a gamble. Fortunately, I have other paying work besides pet portraiture. I have an upcoming gallery exhibit and a restaurant that want nature photography for their facilities. I am also sending communications to various pet groomers in the area. I have probably produced 60 to 100 20x30 inch prints in the last couple of months...but a lot of that was for self promotional work.

I guess one thing I like about having the printer is that I am more inclined to make the self promo work because at the moment it is cheaper - and faster - to make it at home. We shall see ultimately if this was worth the price of admission.

The prints sure are pretty....

James

Re: New Article - Westminster Dog Show 2014 [Re: James Morrissey] #40325
03/21/14 11:43 AM
03/21/14 11:43 AM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline
Addict

Florida
James,
I think your point about having that printer makes it more likely that you'll actually make those self-promotional prints is a good one. I guess my only problem -- strictly from my perspective -- is that my portfolio stuff looks better on metal or on very large canvas wraps. I had a large-format printer and simply never used it. But, again, that's me and I'm pretty happy with the quality of the products I get from my labs. And, in the long run, I'd rather be shooting than printing.

Can't wait to see more samples of your Westminster work.

Jim

Last edited by Jim Garvie; 03/21/14 11:44 AM.

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Re: New Article - Westminster Dog Show 2014 [Re: Jim Garvie] #40336
03/24/14 09:14 AM
03/24/14 09:14 AM
I
I
Carpal Tunnel

Thanks, Jim. Tonight, I am putting up some nature photos at a local restaurant and sending some others to a local gallery. I framed a 20x30 last night in less than 10 minutes - neatly. I am going to start working on 'part ii' shortly. If I don't have enough for an article, I may just post some add-ons here.

Here is an interesting stat. This thread has over 600 views since I started it. The actual article, half of that. My site stats says we get about 17,000 hits a day. Something is really really weird about the counter.

James

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 359 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online629
Dec 4th, 2019

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer