04/06/14 10:03 AM
04/06/14 10:03 AM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline OP
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline OP
Addict

Florida

Following my review of the Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6USM L IS and a later update review of the Canon EF 300mm f/4 L IS USM, I decided to rent and review the new Tamron 150-600mm zoom lens that has been getting such great press since its introduction late in 2013. Rental supply levels have finally gotten to a point where you can actually get one of these in your hands and mine arrived on Friday, April 4. Yesterday, I took it to Orlando Wetlands Park to test it in the type of environment I'd most likely be using this type of lens.

First, a word about how I use my lenses: I am first of all a dog show photographer and an action photographer of dogs in the show ring. That's my business. I also do animal portraits, people portraits and the occasional wedding when forced to against my will smile. For fun, I also do nature and wildlife photography and I dabble in macro. For me, camera gear has to be able to meet my professional needs as well as my personal "fun" needs. For the fun stuff, I've been using my Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS with or without a Canon 1.4X telextender and I've been fortunate enough to be able to capture some good-quality images with that combination. But, especially for nature and wildlife shooting, that combination hasn't given me the amount of reach I'd like so I've been looking for something that will give me more reach, just as good image quality and won't break the bank.

Let's start with the obvious: the Tamron 150-600 zoom is a monster compared to what I've been using. It's long at 150mm and even longer at 600mm. And it's heavy weighing in at 69 oz. vs the Canon 100-400 at 49 oz. Frankly, I thought the Canon was heavy to lug around in the wild. Yesterday, I decided to try the Tamron out by using it the way I prefer to work for my wildlife photography: hand-held while hiking the trails at the park. The day was in the low 80s with bright sun and I covered a little over 3 miles. Carrying that sucker is a chore LOL. But it did get a lot of interest from the other photographers there and at least I wasn't lugging it around on a tripod as well.

This image of a Snowy Egret was shot just as I started my hike @ 600mm and F11. I decided to shoot this lens for optimum image sharpness and I had enough light to do that. I shot aperture-priority @ F11 and set my ISO at between 400 and 640. At this setting, my shutter speed was 1/800 and hand-holding was difficult but not impossible.

This Anhinga having a bad hair day was 50 yards away and I captured it at 600mm and 1/200 hand-held. The VC on the lens works amazingly well.

The Little Blue Heron hiding in the reeds was captured at 350mm and 1/1250. I found that between 300mm and 500mm to be the sweet spot in terms of image sharpness but I have no complaints about the performance of this lens at 600mm as long as you can stop it down and pay attention in post-processing. All of these images were processed in Capture One.

This Red Shouldered Hawk had just caught his lunch -- see near his feet -- and he was about 50 yards away from me. 600mm @ 1/1600.

Yes, it's possible to capture birds in flight. For old guys like me, it's very difficult but here's one of a Red Shouldered Hawk in flight quite a bit away from me. But, it can be done.

Roseate Spoonbills in the midst of a mating ritual. 600mm @1/2000.

And this Great Blue Heron perched on a tree limb being watched carefully by the Wood Stork in the background. Captured at 250mm and 1/3200.

Frankly, I'm very impressed overall with the image quality this lens produces. When you factor in it's price of $1,069 the value is truly amazing. Is it big and heavy? No question. Is it hard to hand-hold? Also, no question but it can be done if you have good technique. Still open is the question of whether or not it can be used for action photography in the ring (outside not inside) and for some of the other things I shoot but for nature and wildlife photography, this lens is the best value out there and it produces very good image quality under the right conditions and with some effort. Today, I'll shoot some stuff using my tripod and see if I can shoot the dogs playing in the yard to test it's ability to shoot action. More on that later.

Jim

Last edited by Jim Garvie; 04/06/14 10:06 AM.

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Re: Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC USD [Re: Jim Garvie] #40367
04/06/14 02:19 PM
04/06/14 02:19 PM
Manhattan, New York, New York
James Morrissey Offline
I
James Morrissey  Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

Manhattan, New York, New York
Hey Jim,

Thanks for sharing. Really nice. I look forward to reading more as you get the stuff in.

James

Re: Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC USD [Re: Jim Garvie] #40371
04/06/14 03:11 PM
04/06/14 03:11 PM
Chama, New Mexico
W
Wacky roger Offline
Addict
Wacky roger  Offline
Addict
W

Chama, New Mexico
Hi Jim, lots of good information here. Thanks for your effort.

Wacky roger
Questions & Comments Welcome
Re: Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC USD [Re: Wacky roger] #40373
04/06/14 08:11 PM
04/06/14 08:11 PM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline OP
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline OP
Addict

Florida
Thanks James and Roger. I did have a chance to test it out for "action" dog shots today and it's just too long for my yard shots which means it will also be too long for ring shots. Most of what I shoot in the ring is shot at 85 to 110 mm on the 70-200 zoom or with my 100 macro and the same holds for my yard play shots where I work on my technique. The Tamron 150-600 is just too long. And with a F5 max aperture, it would not work at all for indoor ring shots.

So for me, this is a specialty lens. It would be great for my nature and wildlife photography but of little or no use in my business which makes the purchase a bit more difficult to cost-justify unless or until I get my nature/wildlife photography contributing a greater portion of my business revenue.

I suspected this was the case before I tried to use it for the yard shots but it was almost laughable. When I tested the 100-400 Canon zoom, it worked just fine for action shots but the 300mm F4L was also too long so it's not that there's anything wrong with those lenses. They just aren't going to work for that particular application and since there aren't that many of us doing that, I doubt the lens manufacturers are losing any sleep over it smile.

So, my summary: the Tamron 150-600 zoom is a quality lens that takes excellent images for what can only be considered a bargain price. It is not the Canon EF 600mm F4L IS II but it also isn't $13,000. And, unlike the big Canon, it's a zoom which gives you more cropping options as well as some outstanding IQ in the other telephoto lengths ranging from 300mm through 500mm. It's big. It's heavy. It has weather-sealing. It has a very good Vibration Control system which allows hand-holding for those with strong arms smile. If you make a living or a hobby of shooting nature and wildlife, this is a bargain you should consider for great quality images at a very reasonable price.

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 360 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online629
Dec 4th, 2019

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer