Manhattan, New York, New York
James Morrissey Offline OP
I
James Morrissey  Offline OP
I
Carpal Tunnel

Hey Folks,

I will be heading out to Maine from the 2nd to the 9th. Updates on the site may be a bit slow during that time (perhaps non existent). Even in Bar Harbor, reception really stinks for the main carriers.

James

Re: Going to Maine [Re: James Morrissey] #40586
07/25/14 06:46 PM
07/25/14 06:46 PM
Tucson, Arizona, USA
Tucson Jim Offline
Old hand
Tucson Jim  Offline
Old hand

Tucson, Arizona, USA
Gonna shoot more Puffins?

I'm so disappointed. We scheduled a cruise from NYC to Quebec City at the end of September and were going to rent a car and visit my sister-in-law in Moncton, NB. That would have enabled us to visit Macias Island. So what did the woman do? She just moved back to Ontario. AARGH#@%^ At least I should be able to see fall colors on our stops along the New England coast.

Have fun on your trip.

Jim

Re: Going to Maine [Re: Tucson Jim] #40587
07/25/14 07:23 PM
07/25/14 07:23 PM
I
I
Carpal Tunnel

LOL, don't be upset at your sister-in-law. By September, there probably won't be one puffin on the island...well, maybe one or two. They will mostly be gone by mid to late August. The fledgling period is probably about over now...so if we go out there, there will be few opportunities to get that iconic shot of the puffin with the fish in their mouths.

September is a great time to go to New England, particularly further up. Late September is best...with Columbus Day in October being considered the "Peak" time. I just took a week off to do New England this year in Fall. I have not done that in years - and years - and years as I am always in Wyoming.

How long will you be driving up this way?

James

Originally Posted By: Tucson Jim
Gonna shoot more Puffins?

I'm so disappointed. We scheduled a cruise from NYC to Quebec City at the end of September and were going to rent a car and visit my sister-in-law in Moncton, NB. That would have enabled us to visit Macias Island. So what did the woman do? She just moved back to Ontario. AARGH#@%^ At least I should be able to see fall colors on our stops along the New England coast.

Have fun on your trip.

Jim

Re: Going to Maine [Re: James Morrissey] #40590
07/26/14 08:44 PM
07/26/14 08:44 PM
Tucson, Arizona, USA
Tucson Jim Offline
Old hand
Tucson Jim  Offline
Old hand

Tucson, Arizona, USA
Originally Posted By: James Morrissey

How long will you be driving up this way?

James

James:

All totaled, between 5 & 6 weeks.

We sail out of New York en route to Quebec City, Canada on Sep 22nd. Ten day voyage with stops in Newport, Rhode Island; Boston, Mass; Portland, Maine; St John, New Brunswick; Halifax & Sydney, Nova Scotia and Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island along the way. We'll spend a few days in Quebec City then drive our rental car to Tilbury, Ontario which is on a little strip of land between Lake Erie and Lake St Claire - not too far from Detroit.

October 22nd we return to Quebec City for the 12 day return voyage which skips Charlottetown, Sydney, St John, and Portland; but adds Port Saguenay, Quebec; Bar Harbor, Maine; Charleston, South Carolina and Fort Lauderdale, Florida. From there we fly back to Tucson.

While we are in Bar Harbor, we're going to rent a car and visit Acadia N.P. Besides the Lighthouse, any other "Must see" spots in Acadia? We'll probably have about eight hours to visit the park.

Jim

Re: Going to Maine [Re: Tucson Jim] #40591
07/27/14 11:48 AM
07/27/14 11:48 AM
I
I
Carpal Tunnel

This sounds awesome! Will you be in New York City for long? Chanthee and I would love to meet you!

As to 'must places' in Acadia, Bass Harbor os definitely my favorite location. However, Cadillac Mountain is also a must. It is the spot in the USA that gets sunrise first. Also, I really think the Otter Cliffs are an awesome location to shoot sunrise...and Schooner Head.

James:

All totaled, between 5 & 6 weeks.

We sail out of New York en route to Quebec City, Canada on Sep 22nd. Ten day voyage with stops in Newport, Rhode Island; Boston, Mass; Portland, Maine; St John, New Brunswick; Halifax & Sydney, Nova Scotia and Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island along the way. We'll spend a few days in Quebec City then drive our rental car to Tilbury, Ontario which is on a little strip of land between Lake Erie and Lake St Claire - not too far from Detroit.

October 22nd we return to Quebec City for the 12 day return voyage which skips Charlottetown, Sydney, St John, and Portland; but adds Port Saguenay, Quebec; Bar Harbor, Maine; Charleston, South Carolina and Fort Lauderdale, Florida. From there we fly back to Tucson.

While we are in Bar Harbor, we're going to rent a car and visit Acadia N.P. Besides the Lighthouse, any other "Must see" spots in Acadia? We'll probably have about eight hours to visit the park.

Jim
[/quote]

Re: Going to Maine [Re: Tucson Jim] #40615
08/05/14 02:52 PM
08/05/14 02:52 PM
Tucson, Arizona, USA
Tucson Jim Offline
Old hand
Tucson Jim  Offline
Old hand

Tucson, Arizona, USA
James:

I responded to your last post right after I saw it, but since I was away from home at the time, I tried to do it with my "Smart Phone." Apparently neither the phone nor I are all that smart, since my post is nowhere to be seen. blush

Petra and I would love to meet you and Chanthee. Unfortunately, we foolishly did not follow our usual practice of arriving at the port a day or two or three early. The cruise line is picking us up at La Guardia when we land mid-morning on the 22nd of September and taking us straight to the ship which sails out of the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal at 7:00 pm. (All aboard at 6:00 pm)

Assuming the everything goes as planned, we hope to be delivered to the ship by about 1:00 pm. If so, we could possibly meet for a late lunch near the terminal if that wasn't too inconvenient. However, based on past history, that may or may not happen. Wouldn't know until that day.

We will, however, be making a brief port call in New York on Thursday, October 30th during our return voyage to Fort Lauderdale. Perhaps we could meet for lunch somewhere? Don't know if we will dock in Manhattan or Brooklyn yet.

Jim

Re: Going to Maine [Re: Tucson Jim] #40616
08/05/14 03:46 PM
08/05/14 03:46 PM
I
I
Carpal Tunnel

Hey Jim,

That sounds awesome! When we get home, I will pull out the calendar and send you a PM. I am sure we can figure something out.

James

New Article on Acadia [Re: James Morrissey] #40648
09/01/14 10:42 AM
09/01/14 10:42 AM
I
I
Carpal Tunnel

Hey Folks,

i wrote a new article on our trip to Acadia.

http://www.nwpphotoforum.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=40634

Next stop, Yosemite!

James

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 379 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online629
Dec 4th, 2019

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer