MN, USA
D
Dave P Offline OP
Wanderer
Dave P  Offline OP
Wanderer
D

MN, USA
I don't know if this is a new forum, or I'm just not finding the older topics, but I can only see entries back to about March...

Anyhow, I'm trying to figure out how to create a sweep that will be supported but portable.

I want to have a seamless backdrop run down from the backdrop holder at about 84 inches, to the table a couple feet in front of the backdrop at around 36" high. BUT, it's going to be used for photographing small animals, so I can't just have unsupported paper from the table to the top of the backdrop...

AND, we have to travel to shows, so whatever I use for the support has to fold or roll small...

Currently, we're using a 2-piece setup with one piece on the backdrop and another clamped on the table. But, I'd like to get rid of the line and have a single piece backdrop with something under the paper that can be rolled up very small then unrolled and clamped to provide support for the paper...

Anyone have any thoughts?

Unknown
Re: Creating a Sweep for Small Animal Photography? [Re: Dave P] #40628
08/19/14 02:21 PM
08/19/14 02:21 PM
Manhattan, New York, New York
James Morrissey Offline
I
James Morrissey  Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

Hi Dave,

Welcome.

"I want to have a seamless backdrop run down from the backdrop holder at about 84 inches, to the table a couple feet in front of the backdrop at around 36" high. BUT, it's going to be used for photographing small animals, so I can't just have unsupported paper from the table to the top of the backdrop."

Why would you use such a system for photographing small animals? It would seem that there are more efficient ways of doing this.

Anyway, now that my question is asked, to your question. You may want to check out Helmi Flick's interview. As I recall, they show their lighting and drop system which they travel with. It is only about 54 inches wide, as I recall as they are photographing cats.

Thanks
James

Re: Creating a Sweep for Small Animal Photography? [Re: Dave P] #40630
08/19/14 10:03 PM
08/19/14 10:03 PM
Tucson, Arizona, USA
Tucson Jim Offline
Old hand
Tucson Jim  Offline
Old hand

Tucson, Arizona, USA
Originally Posted By: Dave P
I don't know if this is a new forum, or I'm just not finding the older topics, but I can only see entries back to about March...
<SNIP>
Anyone have any thoughts?

Dave:

Scroll down to the bottom of the page on the forum index just below "Display Options" and select how far back in time you want posts to display.

Jim

Re: Creating a Sweep for Small Animal Photography? [Re: James Morrissey] #40643
08/28/14 11:37 PM
08/28/14 11:37 PM
MN, USA
D
Dave P Offline OP
Wanderer
Dave P  Offline OP
Wanderer
D

MN, USA
Yes, I've seen Helmi Flick's setup (and read the interview in here and several other writeups about her and other pet photographers, and talked to her and Ken). It appears they use a separate background and cover on the posing stand. Which is what we're currently using. Ours is 54" wide, and we light similarly to what they're doing Our system works, but we get a line (visible separation) between the stand and the background.

It's not a big problem, but when I do product photography, I typically use a light tent and a single continuous piece for the background and area under the product. No line, and a smooth lighting transition. But, products sit there quietly. The cats we're photographing don't.

Since we have to be mobile - most of our portraits are in show halls - everything has to get small and pack easily in the car. Or worse, somehow be carried or shipped when we have to fly to an event.

Thus, my question about a way to have a single, continuous sheet behind and under the subject, but have it supported so as the cat(s) move, they don't go through the backdrop.

I haven't figured out anything that would work within our limitations, so I thought I'd stop by and ask the experts in here.

James, your response about there being more efficient ways has made me curious. Can you elaborate? Or are you talking about using a separate backdrop and stand cover? Or something else?

Unknown
Re: Creating a Sweep for Small Animal Photography? [Re: Dave P] #40644
08/29/14 06:59 PM
08/29/14 06:59 PM
James Morrissey Offline
I
James Morrissey  Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

Dave,

Sure. May I ask what you are referring to when you say 'small animals?' For example, when I think small critters, I am thinking rats, chinchillas, etc. Believe it or not, when I shoot small critters like that, I use a 48 inch light box, much like what one would use for a product shoot. While I would not do a cat or a dog in it, it works great for rats and other small mammals. They also seem less stressed.

James

Re: Creating a Sweep for Small Animal Photography? [Re: James Morrissey] #40647
08/29/14 11:24 PM
08/29/14 11:24 PM
MN, USA
D
Dave P Offline OP
Wanderer
Dave P  Offline OP
Wanderer
D

MN, USA
In our case we're talking about cats. I've been asked to do dog shows, but so far they've been larger dogs that aren't on the posing stand like we use for the cats.

Although, if someone showed up with a chinchilla or ermine or ferret and wanted portraits, I'd give it a try!

As I said earlier, our system works but I'm curious whether there's something that would work better and still be foldable/packable and so on...

Unknown

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 545 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online629
Dec 4th, 2019

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer