MA
J
Joe Offline OP
Tracker
Joe  Offline OP
Tracker
J

MA
I've just returned from a trip to Glacier National Park - What a Place! It is absolutely awesome! Tony - aka FinalShot - there aren't many places better than this to call your backyard.
We did some day hikes in the park - Avalanche Gorge/Lake, St. Mary Falls, Virginia Falls, Apgar Lookout Tower among them. Of course we drove over Going To The Sun Road multiple times.
I'm finally getting around to processing the photographs from the trip. This photo is of Birdwoman Falls. It is not taken from the overlook designated for the falls but just up the road a bit further. This was taken at about 6-6:30 pm one evening.
I'd appreciate any and all comments on the photograph.
Thanks

Joe
Re: A Trip tp Glacier National Park [Re: Joe] #4233
07/08/06 11:16 PM
07/08/06 11:16 PM
Eden (no really!)
J
jamesdak Offline
Old hand
jamesdak  Offline
Old hand
J

Eden (no really!)
I'm just glad to see the picture as it whets my appetite for my own trip there next week. I'm planning to go over the slides from my previous trips to see what I can improve on and what else I might want to shoot. Nice shot, thanks for sharing.

Re: A Trip tp Glacier National Park [Re: jamesdak] #4234
07/09/06 02:17 PM
07/09/06 02:17 PM
Montana
Tony Bynum Offline
Pooh-Bah
Tony Bynum  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Montana
Hey joe, glad you had a good trip! The shot is nice, I think i would have tride to get the haze out of the green but maybe that's not possible. Otherwise, I might have cropped into the shot a bit more in order to reduce that dark spot in the lower left corner, its distracting.

Take care,

Attached Files
Re: A Trip tp Glacier National Park [Re: jamesdak] #4235
07/10/06 08:20 AM
07/10/06 08:20 AM
MA
J
Joe Offline OP
Tracker
Joe  Offline OP
Tracker
J

MA
Jim
Enjoy your trip out there. This was my first time in GNP and after what I saw I can say that it won't be my last. The wildflowers were just starting to come out up on Logan Pass so you may find more when you go. We saw lots of Glacier Lilies up there. Down lower we found lots of Scarlet Paintbrush along the trails.
Most of the trails were open. The rangers were still cautioning casual hikers against going to Grinnell Glacier because of snow/ice on the trail recommending that unless you had snow/ice climbing equipment it might be better to wait. Maybe it has cleared by now.
Thanks for you comments on my photograph. As I get around to processing more I'll post them.

Joe
Re: A Trip tp Glacier National Park [Re: Tony Bynum] #4236
07/10/06 08:32 AM
07/10/06 08:32 AM
MA
J
Joe Offline OP
Tracker
Joe  Offline OP
Tracker
J

MA
Tony,
Thanks for the tips you gave prior to our trip. We tried to spend time in each of the areas of GNP and had an absolute great time. Some of the other hikes we took - around Swiftcurrent Lake and the North Shore Trail along Two Medicine Lake up to Twin Falls. Twin Falls was really nice - worth the walk.
As for the haze in the green - I tried to clean that up with USM and saturation but just couldn't get rid of it completely. Any other suggestions? In general the days were hazy when we were there. I have a panoaramic shot taken from the top of Apgar that show a lot of haze. I'm hoping I can clean it up to a point that it's worth posting. Using a polarizer helped a bit but it's still pretty hazy.
So is that you in the picture? Very nice photograph. What time of the year was it taken?

Joe
Re: A Trip tp Glacier National Park [Re: Joe] #4237
07/10/06 12:44 PM
07/10/06 12:44 PM
Eden (no really!)
J
jamesdak Offline
Old hand
jamesdak  Offline
Old hand
J

Eden (no really!)
Joe, Your shot looks a lot like some of mine from Glacier, a lot of haze. The only filter I use normally is a polarizer but I guess I need to dig out my haze filter and give it a try there. The good thing about digital is that I can play around with this on the scene and make on the spot corrections. Much easier to deal with than in the past when I viewed my slides a week after returning and saw the problem !

Re: A Trip tp Glacier National Park [Re: jamesdak] #4238
07/10/06 02:55 PM
07/10/06 02:55 PM
Montana
Tony Bynum Offline
Pooh-Bah
Tony Bynum  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Montana
that shot was taken the same time you were in the park. but I took it at about 8:30 am and it's looking north ta-boot.

I never even take haze shots, as I'm gone before it's an issues. In the summer that means almost zero sleep as the best shooting light is only about 6 hours apart.

Here'another of me swiming in Iceberg lake. Yes, it was very cold

The wildflows up on logan should be at their peak by the end of the month! It's been HOT HOT HOT!

that other shot is of a friend of mine. . .

Attached Files
Re: A Trip tp Glacier National Park [Re: Tony Bynum] #4239
07/18/06 04:17 PM
07/18/06 04:17 PM
L
Loopman Offline
Venturer
Loopman  Offline
Venturer
L

Those are great images. It must have been really really cold in the lake.

Lou

Re: A Trip tp Glacier National Park [Re: Loopman] #4240
08/30/06 08:37 PM
08/30/06 08:37 PM
K
KeithT Offline
Wanderer
KeithT  Offline
Wanderer
K

Tony:

Glacier looks like a great place to visit. I'm traveling to Tetons/Yellowstone in early October, but am considering a Winter trip to Glacier. Is this a good time to get snow shots there? Any tips on timeframe and places to shoot?

Keith T.
Orlando, Fl

Re: A Trip tp Glacier National Park [Re: KeithT] #4241
08/30/06 08:52 PM
08/30/06 08:52 PM
Montana
Tony Bynum Offline
Pooh-Bah
Tony Bynum  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Montana
if youre serious about a winter trip you better pack a lunch! There are lots of photo ops in the park durring the winter. Depending on snow conditions it could be tough to get to.

the park really closes up in the late fall and all the roads close too. some stay open for a little while but only until the snow closes them, which is unpredictable.

Winter is an awesome time here, but it's cold, windy and very unforgiving! It will test your cold capacity for sure! . . .

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 340 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online629
Dec 4th, 2019

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer