07/28/06 11:11 PM
07/28/06 11:11 PM
Montana
Tony Bynum Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
Tony Bynum  Offline OP
Pooh-Bah

Montana
A forest fire is burning in the Red Eagle Valley. The Vally drains into St. Marys lake about a 1/3 of the way up the lake from the visitor entrance at St. Marys. As of 9pm Friday, only Red Eagle Valley is closed, there is no press release. I'm doubt this fire will close the sun road, but if the winds change, and it is likely they will, the pass may get smoked out, right now, it looks like cool, red sunsets for a few days! Stay tuned, I'll post the press release when it comes out.

Re: Glacier Park Fire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: Tony Bynum] #4556
07/29/06 01:09 PM
07/29/06 01:09 PM
Montana
Tony Bynum Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
Tony Bynum  Offline OP
Pooh-Bah

Montana
Wildland Fire Activity on Park’s East Side

Date
July 28, 2006

Contact
Melissa Wilson, 406-888-7895

WEST GLACIER, MONT. – Officials at Glacier National Park report that there is a wildland fire in the park’s Red Eagle drainage. The fire is estimated at 250 acres. It was first reported at 1:18 p.m. this afternoon after smoke was seen from the St. Mary’s visitor center.

The fire has prompted the closure of the Red Eagle Lake Trail from the trailhead to Triple Divide Pass, and the backcountry campgrounds at the head and foot of the lake.

Park fire managers have ordered resources to help suppress this fire. The park’s wildland fire crew and fire engine, six smokejumpers from Missoula, and three single engine air tankers (using retardant) are currently working on the fire. Additional resources, including two Type I and Type II crews, a medium helicopter, and a heavy helicopter, were requested. However, due to resource constraints throughout the Pacific Northwest, additional resources are not currently available; they will arrive, as soon as it is practical. At present, there is a Type III incident commander from Alaska.

The park has issued a voluntary evacuation notice for the Saint Mary townsite. This notice is intended to encourage local residents and visitors to consider the steps they would take in the event that conditions change and an evacuation become necessary.

Smoke from the fire can be seen from St. Mary and can be seen from points along the Going-to-the-Sun Road.

check it out, http://www.nps.gov/glac/whatsnew.htm

Re: Glacier Park Fire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: Tony Bynum] #4557
07/29/06 09:51 PM
07/29/06 09:51 PM
Montana
Tony Bynum Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
Tony Bynum  Offline OP
Pooh-Bah

Montana
Red Eagle Fire Update

Date
July 29, 2006

Contact
Melissa Wilson, 406-888-7895

WEST GLACIER, MONT.- Officials at Glacier National Park report that the Red Eagle Fire made a large gain in acreage this afternoon, and the fire has jumped U.S. 89 south of St. Mary. The exact size of the fire cannot be estimated at this time, but will be provided when conditions permit. This afternoon, down-canyon wind shifts prompted the park to evacuate the St. Mary housing and the maintenance area. Officials also closed the Going-to-the-Sun (Sun) Road from St. Mary to Rising Sun. Visitors can still access the park from other locations and the Sun Road is open from the west entrance to Rising Sun.

Further, the Montana Department of Transportation has closed Highway 89 from Cut Bank Creek to Duck Lake Road.

Local residents leaving the town of St. Mary are being asked to check-in at the Cut Bank Creek Boarding School, which is located five miles north of Browning to let officials know that they have left the St. Mary area. A shelter is being established at the Boarding School.

A Type II team has begun arriving at Glacier and it will take responsibility for the fire Sunday morning. Currently, the park’s wildland fire crew and outside crews are working under a Type III incident commander from Alaska on this fire. Park staff is also working to protect structures. Additional resources have been ordered, and will be dispatched to the fire when they become available.

Re: Glacier Park Fire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: Tony Bynum] #4558
07/30/06 12:49 PM
07/30/06 12:49 PM
Montana
Tony Bynum Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
Tony Bynum  Offline OP
Pooh-Bah

Montana

Re: Glacier Park Fire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: Tony Bynum] #4559
08/01/06 11:08 AM
08/01/06 11:08 AM
Montana
Tony Bynum Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
Tony Bynum  Offline OP
Pooh-Bah

Montana
more news - http://www.greatfallstribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2006607310303

also got an email from a guy that's ran into the fire on his trip. I think he's a user, on this site, or maybe it's on photo.net. . . any how, here is what he said:

"Thanks for the warning. We drove from Theodore Roosevelt up to Browning Saturday and ran into someone who indicated they were evacuating the area we had hotel rooms booked for six nights (St. Mary Lodge).

Tryed calling them yesterday and today. Couldn't get them. Couldn't get a room Saturday night anywhere near the park. Had to drive into Canada and stayed in Lethbridge. Checked hotels out near the park for the next few days, no dice (could have stayed at Kandahar).

Decided to go to Banff since we were only four hours away. We are going to stay here instead of St. Mary's lodge and then hit Prince of Wales on the way out. My daughter is with us, or I would extend our vacation and try to hit Glacier as well.

I really appreciate you sending the message. I will let you know how it all turns out."

Re: Glacier Park Fire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: Tony Bynum] #4560
08/02/06 12:17 AM
08/02/06 12:17 AM
Manhattan, New York, New York
James Morrissey Offline
I
James Morrissey  Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

Thanks for the continued updates. Fire seems to be a problem throughout the region right now. It has been very hot recently and very dry. I understand that parts of Yellowstone are also on fire right now - all a result of lightning strikes.

James

Re: Glacier Park Fire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: James Morrissey] #4561
08/10/06 10:03 AM
08/10/06 10:03 AM
James Morrissey Offline
I
James Morrissey  Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

http://www.newwest.net/index.php/topic/article/10637/C38/L38

Thought some folks might be interested in this link. It appears that the Glacier Forrest fires are still growing, but mostly contained (is that not a bit of a paradox?).

James

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 398 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online629
Dec 4th, 2019

Copyright �2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer