08/02/06 10:21 AM
E
earline Offline OP
Tracker
earline  Offline OP
Tracker
E

Hello, everyone:

I am new here, and I am very glad to have found this forum. My question pertains to a posing table for taking pet portraits. I have a dedicated studio for my pet photography, however, I have not been happy with the heights of tables I have been using ( too low ). I would like to build one myself, but I would like to know what the best dimensions are for this kind of table, how tall, width and length. Any ideas, including material suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much!

Re: A Homemade Posing Table [Re: earline] #4621
08/02/06 09:29 PM
08/02/06 09:29 PM
Dandenong Ranges, Melbourne, A...
PossumCorner Offline
Old hand
PossumCorner  Offline
Old hand

Welcome Earline, and good question. At present I have the same dilemma. I have a good "standard height" table but without an assistant, would be too risky leaving a dog un-watched for a moment while concentrating on the camera. Considering lowering the legs by two-thirds, (then lowering the tripod).

I'll be interested in replies: and also on cameras/lenses. What are you using in the studio? I've just bought a Nikon 85mm 1.8 for pet portraits.

Re: A Homemade Posing Table [Re: PossumCorner] #4622
08/03/06 08:22 AM
08/03/06 08:22 AM
Manhattan, New York, New York
James Morrissey Offline
I
James Morrissey  Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

This is an interesting question. I have never used a table before. I always use furniture on location or I use the floor. It seems to me that you want the table to be low - particularly for the dogs.

James

Re: A Homemade Posing Table [Re: earline] #4623
08/03/06 08:55 AM
08/03/06 08:55 AM
Illinois
Peggy Sue Offline
Pooh-Bah
Peggy Sue  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Illinois
Hello and welcome. One of my favorite tables is one of their favorite tables. That means they are the most comfortable on it. It is an old very heavy cocktail table that I put a rubber backed bath matt on top and then wrapped upholstery material over and stapled it underneath. With the right size almost all the dogs relax on it. I think mine is about 4' by 2' approximately. Puppies are often more contained (for a few seconds!) until they figure out they can jump off easily. My flooring is industrial carpeting so if they do jump there is a cushion. Flooring has always been a concern for me. I have had so many different ones and the one I guess I feel the best with is this carpeting. They do not slip and when "spills" occur, I have liquid vacs close at hand. Also a large carpet cleaner. I figure if businesses that have heavy foot traffic can deal with it so can I. I think most dogs feel very secure on it.

I found a new cocktail table that I bought at a scratch and dent type furniture store, brought it in and my dogs jumped on it immediatlely! Glad it was for the studio not the house.

Good luck. Hope to see some images on your new table!

Peggy Sue
Re: A Homemade Posing Table [Re: Peggy Sue] #4624
08/04/06 07:33 AM
08/04/06 07:33 AM
James Morrissey Offline
I
James Morrissey  Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

Hi Peggysue,

Thanks for the reply. I hear you when you say, "One of my favorite tables is one of their favorite tables." I was trying to convey this myself in my message.

I also spent some time looking for 'custom tables' that can be used on location when nothing else is handy. For this, I examined pet grooming tables that are foldable and movable. I gave up, LOL, and decided that in those rare occasions that my client does not have a comfortable couch/table that the floor with a backdrop looks very similar - though I have to get lower.

Cheers
James

Re: A Homemade Posing Table [Re: James Morrissey] #4625
08/07/06 11:39 AM
08/07/06 11:39 AM
E
earline Offline OP
Tracker
earline  Offline OP
Tracker
E

Thanks for the responses everyone. I think I am going to go for about a 4 foot by 2 foot table made of 7-ply plywood ( as the top ) and 5 4x4s cut to about 24 inches for table legs. As for the top covering, I was thinking of stapling some some cheap carpet remnants or even some linoleum remnant for easy clean-up. Then, atop the linoleum I will drape the fabric material for the photos. Wish me luck!

Re: A Homemade Posing Table [Re: earline] #4626
08/07/06 05:08 PM
08/07/06 05:08 PM
PossumCorner Offline
Old hand
PossumCorner  Offline
Old hand

PeggySue said
"I put a rubber backed bath matt on top and then wrapped upholstery material over and stapled it underneath. With the right size almost all the dogs relax on it".

That's a key line Earline - lino is usually too slippery, the dogs have a sense of sliding paws and do not relax so look shoulders-tense. Textured carpet would be better. Best is rubber matting as dog groomers use on grooming tables, or as PeggySue said, rubber-backed matting works well. It is worth a quick look at a grooming parlour to see the dimensions of tables they use to work on large or small dogs, and the good grip/easy clean combination surface.

And yes best luck with it, be good to see some of your shots and to know what camera/lighting you are using.

Re: A Homemade Posing Table [Re: PossumCorner] #4627
09/05/06 10:15 AM
09/05/06 10:15 AM
E
earline Offline OP
Tracker
earline  Offline OP
Tracker
E

Just an update on the posing table... I finally got around to making it. I used pressed wood 2 feet by 4 feet for the table top ( that was a mistake because it's not quite strong enough for more than one heavy dog). I will be putting the 7-ply plywood instead. The 5 legs are 2 feet high 4 x 4s. These are very strong legs made from remnants at my local home improvement store.

All together, the table has cost me 10 dollars. I will need to invest another five dollars for the new tabletop.

I then took 2 old bathroom rugs and threw them atop the table, then covered that with my colored fabric of choice. I tested it out with one Pikapoo ( 5 pounds), 1 fat Chihuahua ( 22 pounds ) and one Basset Hound (52 pounds ). It held up perfectly well, but I would rather be safe than sorry.

I am using a Nikon D50 with a Remote shutter transmitter, a 25 - 80 zoom lens, a 300 watt halogen main light and a 150 watt fluorescent fill light with an umbrella. This so far is not enough light, so I will be adding more.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Last edited by earline; 09/05/06 10:17 AM.
Re: A Homemade Posing Table [Re: earline] #4628
09/05/06 12:46 PM
09/05/06 12:46 PM
Alaska
D
DavidRamey Offline
Veteran
DavidRamey  Offline
Veteran
D

Alaska
Your table sounds good, but your lighting sounds like a color management nightmare. How do you plan to adjust the different white balances of the halogen and fluorescent lights? This will cause color shifts throughout your scene. It would be better if you used the same kind of lighting with the same kind of bulb throughout your scene.

David Ramey Photography
Re: A Homemade Posing Table [Re: DavidRamey] #4629
09/05/06 09:44 PM
09/05/06 09:44 PM
Long Island, NY
C
Chris_A Offline
Journeyman
Chris_A  Offline
Journeyman
C

Long Island, NY
OK listen - a 22-lb. chihuahua is no longer a chihauha. It's a terrier

-Chris
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 508 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online876
Apr 25th, 2024

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer