08/11/06 12:45 PM
08/11/06 12:45 PM
Montana
Tony Bynum Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
Tony Bynum  Offline OP
Pooh-Bah

Montana
Well, summers almost over. the lower areas around logan pass and the visiter center are done for the year - the flowers are all mostly dead. This shot was taken in a more remote, off trail area on wednesday (note the smoke). If the weather stays hot and dry, this type shot will not be possible next week! We did get a little rain today, and it's cool, so maybe the flowers will las a little longer. It really is early for them all to be burned up. They usually last through august, but not this year, too hot and too dry!

Better get moving now or miss the flowers this year. On another note, if youre out here it look kind of like fall is here, but it's not, the lack of moisture causes the trees and shrubs to change color early, so, you know what that means for the fall - it's not looking like it will be a great year for fall colors, especially if they leaves all fall off before it gets cold!

Time will tell, I've been tricked before!

Attached Files
4705-DSC_1214-email.jpg (131 downloads)
Re: Glacier Park Update (photo) [Re: Tony Bynum] #4713
08/12/06 09:28 AM
08/12/06 09:28 AM
L
Loopman Offline
Venturer
Loopman  Offline
Venturer
L

This is a breathtaking image. How close are you to the fires that the smoke is so visible? Did you use some sort of filter to help you hold the falls?

Thanks

Re: Glacier Park Update (photo) [Re: Loopman] #4714
08/12/06 09:47 AM
08/12/06 09:47 AM
Manhattan, New York, New York
James Morrissey Offline
I
James Morrissey  Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

Manhattan, New York, New York
Hey Tony,

Very nice shot indeed. I very much like the way that my eyes are led from the falls towards the smoke (which, at first, I was not sure what it was). How has the smoke effected the wildlife in the area?

Curiously, what have you done for the colors in this photograph? I am thinking that you might want to pump up the blues and yellows a bit...just as an experiment.

James

Re: Glacier Park Update (photo) [Re: Tony Bynum] #4715
08/12/06 03:11 PM
08/12/06 03:11 PM
MA
J
Joe Offline
Tracker
Joe  Offline
Tracker
J

MA
Tony
Great shot. I really like the colors in this image - the pinks and yellows of the flowers against the greens of the leaves. I also like the 'classic' layout - A strong foreground, an interesting background and a middleground capable of carrying a viewer from front to back. I also like the blurred stream that also helps to imply a front to back motion adding to the ability of the image to 'Draw the viewer in.'

If you haven't already this is one to print large and hang on a wall.

Is that Going To The Sun Mountain in the background on the right? Just a guess based on shape.

Thanks for sharing a great photo.

Joe
Re: Glacier Park Update (photo) [Re: Joe] #4716
08/14/06 02:34 PM
08/14/06 02:34 PM
Montana
Tony Bynum Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
Tony Bynum  Offline OP
Pooh-Bah

Montana
thanks guys for the nice words. I photraphed this location and theh fire was about 15 miles east of me.

Yes, that is Going to the Sun Mtn.!

photo:
RAW
shot at 9:15 pm - sun was gone they then.
polerizer
split grad filter - large tiffen
12-24, shot at 12mm, f/22, about 1.8 seconds

PS:
+3 saturation
little bit of "lighten dark" areas
slight shapen, and little dust/speck remval.

the smoke is not too bad on the wildlife, it's the fire that they fear. I did not notice an increase of animlas in any area, as a result of the fires.

I'll try pumping up the blues and yellows, do you mean for the whole thing, and how would you dont that>

Re: Glacier Park Update (photo) [Re: Tony Bynum] #4717
08/17/06 11:39 AM
08/17/06 11:39 AM
Montana
Tony Bynum Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
Tony Bynum  Offline OP
Pooh-Bah

Montana
As of 8/16 it's raining like mad! This rain may just have saved the rest of the flower season! The flowers and the trees were just about ready to give it up then this, I'm so happy!

On a darker note, I'm told that there may be some very damaging floods in St.Mary's if this rain keeps up much longer. The fires burned all the vegetation in Divide Creek therefore there is non to hold back the water, it's all just running down the creek. There is an evacuation plan in the event that the water gets too high and floods the town. . .

I'll post more as I get more information.

Here’s a shot from yesterday evening.

I had to quit early as I snapped one of the legs off my tripod in a fall. Nothing serious, no injuries, but it was the end to a beautiful evening of shooting. It helps to break equipment, if it has to be broken, to do it in a place in which it is almost impossible to get angry. It’s such a soothing environment, even with the grizzlies, that a broken tripod is just the end of the shooting, but not the end of the day, or the world! So, like many times before, I turned my disappointment into an opportunity to slow down, smell the flowers, and scout some area’s I’ve not been to this time of year. I’m kind of glad I broke the tripod; it was nice just wondering around out there!

Attached Files
Re: Glacier Park Update (photo) [Re: Tony Bynum] #4718
08/17/06 11:40 PM
08/17/06 11:40 PM
MA
J
Joe Offline
Tracker
Joe  Offline
Tracker
J

MA
Tony -

Another nice image with some great saturated colors.

Sorry about your tripod but glad to hear that you suffered no damage. Sounds like you decided to live the phrase - 'When life hands you lemons, make lemonade!" Your decision to make the best of a bad situation is great advice. 'Course it helps to be in such a beautiful place ;-)

Thanks for posting another great picture.
Joe

Joe
Re: Glacier Park Update (photo) [Re: Joe] #4719
08/18/06 10:44 AM
08/18/06 10:44 AM
Montana
Tony Bynum Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
Tony Bynum  Offline OP
Pooh-Bah

Montana
thanks joe! I've always liked that lemonade saying. I never have used it, because I'm not good at remember jokes or one liners, but I think your spot on!

Take care, I'm headed for Banff to spend the weekend photographing elk! I hope to find a few that are shedding their velvet!

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 462 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online876
Apr 25th, 2024

Copyright �2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer