Seattle
J
Jim Lewis Offline OP
Wanderer
Jim Lewis  Offline OP
Wanderer
J

Seattle
I am thinking of taking off to Glacier or Yellowstone park to catch the turning to fall and shoot wildlife. I was thinking of the latter half of September or early October.
Do any of you have comments of the best time to do this, and best places to go? I can see from the other posts, concerns about the fires and drought.
What are your thoughts about if – when – where to go?
We’d be driving over from Seattle could camp car camp and are pretty flexible when to go.

thanks

Re: September visit to Glacier or Yellowstone Park [Re: Jim Lewis] #4860
08/20/06 01:23 AM
08/20/06 01:23 AM
Manhattan, New York, New York
James Morrissey Offline
I
James Morrissey  Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

Manhattan, New York, New York
Hey Jim,

I will be doing Yellowstone in Late September. The fires in Yellowstone are rather small compared to the ones that have been around Glacier....on the order of 1/20th the size. Also, Yellowstone's fires are in the SE section - mostly in the back country, so it will have little affect on most people's trip experience.

Late Sept is the best time - IMO, to visit Yellowstone (though it is always great to me). The Aspens start turning bright orange around this time. The rut is also at its peak for Elk. A little later, the moose start going through it. Wildlife is abundant, and there are fewer people in the park - making it an even more wonderful experience.

Cheers
James

Re: September visit to Glacier or Yellowstone Park [Re: James Morrissey] #4861
08/21/06 11:13 AM
08/21/06 11:13 AM
Montana
Tony Bynum Offline
Pooh-Bah
Tony Bynum  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Montana
Glacier Park is a very unpredictable place to shoot, so just go and give it a try. I’ve been caught too many times telling people to come only to have it rain, snow, or a fire blows their trip. In addition, no one can tell you when its best, no one knows what you like to shoot. I like the park every time I'm there, really, I look forward to shooting it year round, no more or less exciting, just different and unpredictable.

The Red Eagle fire is out! yea. does not mean more wont start later, so stay on the watch!!!!!!!!!!

east side road soon will close for the season at siyeh bend for construction. You only will be able to access logan by walking from the bend, or driving up the west side.

I think it would be good to go asap. Never know about weather or roads.

hike hard and go high!

logan is your best bet for wildlife

bears are abundant eating berries now

ALWAYS HAVE A BACKUP PLAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This from the NPS - Glacier Park:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: Beginning Monday, September 18, 2006, Sandry
Construction begins work at two slide zones near the Going-to-the-Sun (Sun)
Road’s east tunnel. This fall alpine work will limit public use between
Siyeh Bend and Logan Pass, a distance of only 2.5 miles. During this autumn
work, visitors may access Logan Pass from the west and may also travel the
east side of the Sun Road approximately 15 miles from St. Mary to Siyeh
Bend. The visitor center will remain open through September 30 and
interpretive programs will be offered through September 17. Other
recreational and visitor services and activities will remain available for
visitors.

Re: September visit to Glacier or Yellowstone Park [Re: Tony Bynum] #4862
08/21/06 08:59 PM
08/21/06 08:59 PM
Montana
Tony Bynum Offline
Pooh-Bah
Tony Bynum  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Montana
I was told today that a new fire had been reported on the east side, upper 2-med. It's very smoky here in east glacier park, i cant tell where the smoke is coming from. It was 88 degrees here today!!!!!!!!!!

Toooo hot.

If I find any news on the fires, I'll post it. I cant even find any new info on the federal fire site. . .

Re: September visit to Glacier or Yellowstone Park [Re: Tony Bynum] #4863
08/22/06 08:10 PM
08/22/06 08:10 PM
Montana
Tony Bynum Offline
Pooh-Bah
Tony Bynum  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Montana
There's a new fire in the two medicine valley, it's on the reservation and not quite in the park yet. It's about 3 miles from my house and making the area smokey. . .

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 544 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online629
Dec 4th, 2019

Copyright �2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer