08/24/06 02:13 PM
08/24/06 02:13 PM
M
mmoor Offline OP
Tracker
mmoor  Offline OP
Tracker
M

I am new to this site but already can tell that it will be educational for me. Outdoor photography is a hobby of mine and unfortunately I only get out west on rare visits. I am going to be in Glacier at the end of September for 2 days. Can anyone suggest where I should spend my time, especially in the morning and evening? Also any suggestions on which lodge to stay in based on where I should be shooting in the A.M.? I obviously know nothing about the area other than it is incredible from the pictures I have seen. Sorry to show my ignorance but I don't want to waste what will be my first visit to the area.

Thanks

Re: Glacier National Park [Re: mmoor] #4933
08/24/06 06:08 PM
08/24/06 06:08 PM
Montana
Tony Bynum Offline
Pooh-Bah
Tony Bynum  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Montana
have you read all the threads on this site regarding glacier?

first, you'll have to stay outside the park, nothing is open that time of year.

Second, the going to the sun road, up the east side (from st. Marys, will be closed at siyeh bend. You can walk from there to logan pass - about 2.5 miles. If not, you will have to drive around to west glacir, about 125 miles from st marys.

You can access many glacier, two medicine, and cutbank creek from the east side, as well as the belly river from canada.

You can stay in a hotel, but I dont think any of the east side lodges are open that late, most of the area closes down after labor day. The small mom and pop joints say open a little longer.

As for where to be. I'd say that's up to you, I meant that. I dont know what you like or want to shoot. in genneral, you need to be on the east side for moring and west side for evening. keep in mind that your in the mountains so sun angle is very tricky. deep canyons and close to the mountains leaves little likelyhood of great sun sets and sun rises. that said, there are times when it's spectacular, you just cant predict them. Moreover, I cant tell you what the weather will be like either. could be rain, could be snow, could be warm. I be ready for cold and rain, and snow and warm.

Also, keep an eye out for fires, we have had our share! In fact, St. Marys has a flood evacuation plan in place in the event of heavy rain and snow. There's no vegetaion left - zero - in divide creek, so it will flood, it's just a matter of time.

Always watch for bears and bring pepper spray - well, buy it when you get here if your taking a plane. . .

you can always get some good stuf at avelanche falls and the trail of the ceders, but keep in mind that the water is low this time of year, so you will have to contend with small waterfalls, and shallow creeks.

All that said, fall colors can be nice, but they can be gone by then too. Glacier is an awesome place, but you always take your chances coming here. plan for what you like and want to do, but have three back up plans.

I like it hear because you never have to worrie about what to shoot, it really is different all the time, it's a matter of puting your creative hat on and doing the best you can.

go read all the other threads on glacier park then come back if you have more questions.

Tony

Re: Glacier National Park [Re: Tony Bynum] #4934
08/25/06 09:29 AM
08/25/06 09:29 AM
M
mmoor Offline OP
Tracker
mmoor  Offline OP
Tracker
M

Thanks Finalshot. That info. is very helpful. I am scheduled to stay at Mcdonald lake one night and Many Glacier the other. I wasn't aware of the road closing. I will have to rethink. My meetings later in the week are at Whitefish lake so I guess I will stay on that side of the park the whole time. I would hate to spend too much time just driving the roads outside the park to get from one side to the other. Or if you had just one or the other place to be like me and it might be your only visit for years which would you choose? There are a number of things that I would like to see on both sides. Is Double Falls worth the hike this time of year? The pictures I have seen of it are really fantastic. I really feel like a kid in a candy store. There are just too many treats to choose from. I will read as many threads as I can find. Most that I have read seem to refer to being there in a different season. Any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Glacier National Park [Re: mmoor] #4935
08/25/06 09:48 AM
08/25/06 09:48 AM
Montana
Tony Bynum Offline
Pooh-Bah
Tony Bynum  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Montana
glacier is a magical place, so no matter what, unless it completely fogged in, like it is today, you will enjoy yourself.

What do you like/want to shoot/see?

By double falls I assume you are refering to trick falls, or running eagle, up the two medicine? If so, the water is coming out of the rocks now, albeit not much water. There's no water coming over the top, spring is the best time for the falls. Like I said, Avelanche is your best bet, there's water in it and it's always nice to shoot. Shoot it before full sun, or during overcast, or light rain, and your shots will pop!

It all depends on the weather. Like I said, you MUST have at least two backup plans! Dont say "I'm staying on one side or the other." Many times it's raining or socked in on one side and wide open on the other. You need to set up for both sides even if you stay on one. If you come out thinkinng you'll stay on the west side, it will rain and be foggy and then you wont know what to do. . .

So, I'd say hit the east side in the morning - get up early and drive over, or stay one night on the east side. Hit many glacier, or two medicine early, then, durring the day, drive over to the west and shoot that in the evening.

If you want to spend your time out, in the bush, then plan to drive up loagan from the west and hike hidden, or highline trail.

I'd do both sides, on the west side, along with logan, you can go up bowman, up pole bridge way, that's nice too.

HAVE TWO OR THREE PLANS and know what you want to shoot, then be ready for a back up! Use the weather, and lighting to make some unique shots!

Re: Glacier National Park [Re: Tony Bynum] #4936
08/25/06 10:50 AM
08/25/06 10:50 AM
M
mmoor Offline OP
Tracker
mmoor  Offline OP
Tracker
M

By Double Falls I am referring to those that Galen Rowell captured and were on the cover of a recent issue of Outdoor Photography ( I think last month). For years it has been one of my favorites. If there is not much water then I probably wouldn't want to spend the time there. I like to photo reflective water with mountains, large animals,spectacular sunsets, anything that is unique and shows the beauty and vastness of the area. I am from the south and it is quite different. I would like to be able to capture some photos that I can print large and show my wife and friends that have never been to Glacier and have them say " WOW" what a place. I'm not asking for much, am I? It may be my only visit for years to come and I want to make the most of it. That is why I am bugging you so much about where to go and what time of day. I'm not a great photographer and want to get at least several shots that fit the "WOW" criteria. Thanks again for all your help.

Matt

Re: Glacier National Park [Re: mmoor] #4937
08/25/06 11:10 AM
08/25/06 11:10 AM
Montana
Tony Bynum Offline
Pooh-Bah
Tony Bynum  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Montana
I would not waist the time at double falls. It's almost dry.

I've shot that place so many times and Galen may have been trespassing to get that shot, or, it was durring a time when the Glacier park was allowing people to go into that area when it's still wet. today, you'd legally never get in there when theres still an arch of snow, or in the sping, early summer. They dont even open that area until after the first week of august and the snow is never around, that low, at that time.

http://www.nwpphotoforum.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=4040&an=0&page=0#4040

I think you should hit bowman lank, early and late, and lake mcdonald early and late for reflection shots - the wind seldom is calm, so your best bet is EARLY and LATE!

Spectacular sunsets migh be possible on the west side, the east side is too unpredictable, and unless you get very lucky, you need to be outside the park to see the sun set.

In genneral, we dont see that many spectacular sunsets, but it does happen, so just cross your fingers. NOTHING is definite here, only that the mountains will be here. I always encourage people to be exited, but be realistic too! I've lived in and around the park for 5 years and I can now say that there's very few things that are consistent and therefore planning is very difficult.

As for other places to be, two med lake, sherburn lake, many glacier hotel and lake, all are wounderful reflection locations, assuming there's no wind, which is very un usual! On spring I took 23 trips in a row to photograph wild goose island before I got the shot i was after. Thats 23 round trips from Browning - about 100 miles per day every morning for almost a month. So, plan for what you want, check the weather forcast and then go after it but have a back up plan! who know's you may get the most spectacular shots ever, or, it may be snowing like mad!

Attached Files
4929-DSC_1214-email.jpg (150 downloads)

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 353 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online629
Dec 4th, 2019

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer