08/25/06 10:25 PM
08/25/06 10:25 PM
J
JeffDinPA Offline OP
Old hand
JeffDinPA  Offline OP
Old hand
J

We went back to the beaver area late tonight. It wasn’t dark when we got there but the light was fading fast. Also the Beaver activity was low too. I was hoping that an adult would revisit the one tree they had been working on, but no such luck. We watched the kits play in the water outside the lodge for a while. Then an adult came out and swam upstream, I was in hot pursuit, a good 1-2MPH:) he went about ¼ mile up stream popped on shore, and grabbed a small shrub branch. Tugged it back in and returned to the Lodge. I had hoped he would stop on the shore to eat, but being the diligent parent he took it to the family. He didn’t come out until after dark.

These shots were of him bringing dinner home. I used the SB-800 in remote with the D70 as commander. The flash was on my tripod mounted as high as it would go. The first series was in-between to close and to far. The second installment was far, and now this is close.

Unfortunately I missed the focus on all three of these. I am slightly back focused.

Thanks, Jeff
Re: Beavers take three [Re: JeffDinPA] #4971
08/26/06 12:08 AM
08/26/06 12:08 AM
Montana
Tony Bynum Offline
Pooh-Bah
Tony Bynum  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Montana
Very cool, that looks like a lot fun and a huge challange too! Have you tried a moring shoot? Would the light be any different? Would the beaver stay out longer?

Re: Beavers take three [Re: Tony Bynum] #4972
08/26/06 12:35 AM
08/26/06 12:35 AM
Manhattan, New York, New York
James Morrissey Offline
I
James Morrissey  Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

Manhattan, New York, New York
Hey Jeff,

I agree - these seem very challenging. I don't the look of direct flash and particularly don't like using it on most wildlife - however, I don't know how you can do these without it. Very challenging indeed. You have done nice work with them - I like the 2nd one the best of the group.

Keep'em coming!
Cheers
James

Re: Beavers take three [Re: James Morrissey] #4973
08/26/06 02:38 AM
08/26/06 02:38 AM
Cocoa, Florida
G
gale_1 Offline
Tracker
gale_1  Offline
Tracker
G

Cocoa, Florida
I really like thm all
Shows some nice action of him doing what they do best.

Best Regards
Re: Beavers take three [Re: gale_1] #4974
08/28/06 03:02 PM
08/28/06 03:02 PM
J
JeffDinPA Offline OP
Old hand
JeffDinPA  Offline OP
Old hand
J

I know Tony, I know I need to get up in the AM! Lucky for me this weekend was a mess, rained all day all weekend. But I do need to get out there in the AM and see if I have more time to shot. The hard part is waking up:) Their lodge is on the east shore of a canal that runs south. So there would be no direct morning light on that side, which is the side they spend the most time on, but even indirect natural lighting is better then 100% flash lighting. I agree with you James, the flash is less then ideal!!! The more ironic thing is this canal is well over 100 years old, and as part of some historic restoration projects in PA called Rails to Trails, there is a walking path up and down the west side of the canal. It is nothing like big city trails, but there is a pretty steady flow of people using this trail. One couple, who must walk it 2 or 3 times daily, I see there every time I go. I will have to ask them what the morning activity level is on these beavers. Maybe I’ll get them walki-talkies and we can stake out the joint.
Thanks James, I like that second one too. I am enjoying the challenge. Unlike most wildlife shooting you get a fleeting glimpse and have to act fast. In this case, the individual shots are fleeting, but day after day they are there and the opportunity keeps returning. So, I’ll keep playing. So keep tossing out the ideas guys. It is frustrations like these that once solved, leave lasting technical impressions.
Thanks again Gale, I like taking them too and I’ll keep posting.

On these three, he was so close I probably could have used my bounce card to diffuse the flash some. I am sure that would have helped a lot! Another lesson learned, keep the bounce card handy:)

Thanks, Jeff
Re: Beavers take three [Re: JeffDinPA] #4975
08/28/06 07:16 PM
08/28/06 07:16 PM
Dandenong Ranges, Melbourne, A...
PossumCorner Offline
Old hand
PossumCorner  Offline
Old hand

Dandenong Ranges, Melbourne, A...
Enjoying the beaver series, love the last one. They have little whiskers under their noses!! Checked my dogs, they don't have whiskers under their noses.

Wish we could get shots like this of platypus: there is a small colony just close to us but they are super-shy and not seen often.

Re: Beavers take three [Re: PossumCorner] #4976
08/28/06 07:26 PM
08/28/06 07:26 PM
J
JeffDinPA Offline OP
Old hand
JeffDinPA  Offline OP
Old hand
J

Thank you PC,
I would love to see a Platypus. I don’t think they will show up in my canal anytime soon:) Maybe you can find out their habits, then Camo up and bring a comfy chair:) It is unusual for Beavers to allow this kind of regular approach too, but I guess they have grown accustomed to the people. As long as everyone remains civil, I hope they stay.

Thanks, Jeff
Too much rain [Re: JeffDinPA] #4977
09/05/06 11:34 AM
09/05/06 11:34 AM
J
JeffDinPA Offline OP
Old hand
JeffDinPA  Offline OP
Old hand
J

It has been raining here a lot the last week and a half. Not that the Beaver mind, but I stayed home. I did finally get out there Sunday, but the trip was a dud. the only spotting was an adult and he was Hightailing it upstream and I only got this shot.

300f4 w/o TC ambient light on a tripod.

Thanks, Jeff

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 368 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online629
Dec 4th, 2019

Copyright �2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer