Louisiana
M
Matt Offline
Wanderer
Matt  Offline
Wanderer
M

Louisiana
Well I've learned alot just by reading about your experience. I suppose it's good to setup a number of how many you can handle before you can call it a day. That way you can schedule out the ammount each animal would take and put that into a number, then only take that ammount of people. If they still want it done, tell them you can do studio work somewhere else.

I should have my pics up later tonight for you guys to see. I got the chair in today, so now I just have to go buy more brick. I used up all I had on a fireplace display for the pet shop. I should be able to get that this week. But the first setup is basically complete. I'll probably pick up the letters like you said and probably the bucket. That's actually funny you got a bucket from Target that's where I get all of them from. I get the exact size as that one except I have them in blue, green, and orange. They seem to put some out for every season so I always end up buying more, although I missed out on dark green, white, red and black so I'm hoping they have them for christmas. I'm starting to have a stack. I actually found out that Target and Michaels are the only two stores that carry those buckets as well. I'm betting Hobby Lobby might, but I haven't checked there yet.

I wouldn't worry about having "flat" lighting conditions to much. It's usually the conditions I have in my studio because it's such an enclosed area, and my studio lights aren't the best, but all my clients have been happy thus far, so I haven't let myself worry about it too much.

Re: My pet portrait fundraiser [Re: Matt] #5658
11/13/06 09:44 PM
11/13/06 09:44 PM
TN
Julie Offline OP
Addict
Julie  Offline OP
Addict

TN
There are some portraits I think are so bad, I may ask the people if they want a private session time without the insanity.

I did not do the scheduling, the charity did. I voiced my feelings on the matter and they said there would be plenty of help. The volunteers tried their best, but, I am used to a much lower stress, all the time in the world time. 6 minutes is not enough. Not for me at least

Very very few people wanted to be in the photos with their pets. It was much easier when they were.

I enjoy a more interactive candid style portraiture, but that is not what people came to this for. They wanted pictures of their pets. I did *many* things wrong. Flat lighting was the least of them. I can forgive myself for that.

I have a long ways to go before being "good". I was mostly proficient this weekend. Well, Saturday and Sunday. Friday I was just bad

Re: My pet portrait fundraiser [Re: Julie] #5659
11/13/06 11:49 PM
11/13/06 11:49 PM
Louisiana
M
Matt Offline
Wanderer
Matt  Offline
Wanderer
M

Louisiana
OK here's what I got for test shots today. I didn't have my computer with me so I couldn't really tell where my shadows were. Obviously it needs some work. I should have probably used my external flash to bounce off the ceiling if I wanted to get rid of ALL the shadows, but I'll work with it to get some shadows in it.

Oh and the setup isn't complete. I still have to work on the tree, and wrap some more similar presents like the red and green ones. I'm also contemplating adding "snow". I just used the others as an example. Remember these are TEST shots. Not actual finished studio settings.

Oh and NO I didn't "pose" my dog. He's a natural when it comes to letting me take pics of him. All the poses you see was just me putting him up on the chair and him getting in a comfortable position. I just told him when to sit.

I didn't have enough brick to do a wider angle, so I just uploaded pic of a close up to give you an idea of what it would look like with enough brick behind it. thoughts/ideas/help would be nice. I'm open to anything.

Oh and I also did some test shots on a red backdrop but I hated it. There's too much going on in one picture with a colored back drop. That's why I like the brick so much it's a darker red, and it looks like it belongs in with the setting.

Last edited by Matt; 11/13/06 11:56 PM.
Re: My pet portrait fundraiser [Re: Matt] #5660
11/14/06 09:36 AM
11/14/06 09:36 AM
Illinois
Peggy Sue Offline
Pooh-Bah
Peggy Sue  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Illinois
Julie you have certainly learned a great deal this year. So many lessons tossed at you, especially this fundraiser. I just finished my shows for the year and some were just as hectic as you described. Those are the ones that will be teaching me the most.

Good luck on the next adventures and I hope you will continue to do the fundraiser under your control!

Peggy Sue
Re: My pet portrait fundraiser [Re: Peggy Sue] #5661
11/14/06 10:38 AM
11/14/06 10:38 AM
TN
Julie Offline OP
Addict
Julie  Offline OP
Addict

TN
Unfortunately, my personality seems to learn best in situations that are truly beyond my skill level. Not sensible or smart, but, it does the best job teaching. I did the same when I was riding. I always seemed to pick the horse that I couldn't ride, that was well above my skill level. I came back in tears many times and was thrown even more than that. Usually within a few months my skills caught up with the horse.

At least the camera won't throw me in the dirt. By Sunday, I had much more control over my light. I feel like I did a month's worth of improvement in a weekend. I feel bad for those that came Friday though. In my stress and panic I just didn't think. Lighting is still my biggest issue. I have a mental block with it.

Matt, I love the chair. The brick is cool too. That chair would look great with the brown backdrop I pictured

Re: My pet portrait fundraiser [Re: Julie] #5662
11/15/06 05:37 AM
11/15/06 05:37 AM
Alaska
D
DavidRamey Offline
Veteran
DavidRamey  Offline
Veteran
D

Alaska
Quote:

I had 6 minutes per client. The room was full of cats, dogs, and I had an annoyingly bossy and counterproductive person running the show. She would bring the next clients into my area as I was shooting

It was good to get ears and the animal to stay still. PJ style wasn't an option. Most owners had no desire to be in the shots. They wanted pet photos only.

If I had a relaxed atmosphere and plenty of time, I would have done things differently. What I did have was a gymnasium full of animals, a pit bull fight, cats so freaked they peed themselves and helpers who did their best, but really didn't know how to help.

If it is a male, its got a penis, in a 6 min span with owners wanting 2 to 3 backdrops, you get what you can get. Hard to get really good lighting when you don't have time to adjust it.

Julie, first off you did a great job under the circumstances. When I did school photography, I had 15 to 30 seconds to get a photo and that was with the choice of 6 backgrounds. What I used for 6 backgrounds was ONE dark gray background with some texture to it (canvas). My background light had gel holder in it. When I went to get a kid, I would ask on the way to the poser what color background they wanted it. As the kid got into the poser, I would insert the correct gel into the background light. It takes all of 10 seconds to walk to the background light and change gels. Under these circumstances, I would offer 1 choice instead of 2 or 3. With the luxury of 6 minutes, with this setup it wouldn't take any time to change gels for 2 or 3 background choices. Also I will share a secret to getting the attention of any dog, cat, ferret or any other predator. Use an electronic game call along with the varmit calling SD card. You will get the immediate attention of any predator. I prefer the rabbit call myself. put the speaker behind you at low volume and they will look into the camera with the utmost attention (perfect pose). DO NOT USE THIS METHOD WITH RABBITS OR ANY OTHER PREY ANIMAL TYPE OF PET.

David Ramey Photography
Re: My pet portrait fundraiser [Re: DavidRamey] #5663
11/15/06 09:30 AM
11/15/06 09:30 AM
TN
Julie Offline OP
Addict
Julie  Offline OP
Addict

TN
Thank you david! I had a set of gels with me, but...I hadn't ever used them and I just saw disaster if I experimented then. The game call is excellent advice.

One of my biggest mistakes was that I allowed myself to be bullied by the organizer. She is a very pushy type(you know the kind) and I am not. I am pretty go with the flow(with most things) My fault, and I won't make that mistake again. It is my lack of confidence that let that happen

People wanted the Christmas backdrop(which I did not care for) and what would have worked best was a gel in red/green ect; an so on. Fast, no flipping

This was a great learning experience. One I am glad I have. Thankfully most everyone was happy. People are emailing me and saying how much they love the shots. Though, I know they lack some.

Next time, I will be more prepared and improved!

Re: My pet portrait fundraiser [Re: Julie] #5664
11/16/06 06:30 PM
11/16/06 06:30 PM
J
JeffDinPA Offline
Old hand
JeffDinPA  Offline
Old hand
J

Julie,
WOW. You worried and Worried about this day and these shots are great! I am sure all the clients are more then satisfied with your results and you should get tons of referral business from this shoot. Great work and a huge improvement in such a short time. My wife's favorite shot is the first one of the Pitbull, but she was saddened when I told he about the cancer. I like a lot of them, but what strikes me the most is how you got 9 whippets dressed and in the frame simultaneously!

Good work,
Jeff

Thanks, Jeff
Re: My pet portrait fundraiser [Re: JeffDinPA] #5665
11/17/06 09:06 AM
11/17/06 09:06 AM
TN
Julie Offline OP
Addict
Julie  Offline OP
Addict

TN
The whippets were a bigger challenge than the family with 6 dogs. Though, the family challenge wasn't with the six dogs, but with the older child. He didn't want his photo made.

There is still one family that I may call and offer a free reshoot as I hate the photos. Too cute a family not to have good photos.

I have all the proofs up now. My favorite shots are still the ones on the brown backdrop. Great buy at $9

www.JuliePoole.com

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 273 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online876
Apr 25th, 2024

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer