Manhattan, New York, New York
James Morrissey Offline
I
James Morrissey  Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

Manhattan, New York, New York
Hey BAP,

Could you please talk a bit about the use of gels?

James

Re: latest pet portraits [Re: James Morrissey] #5900
12/19/06 02:56 AM
12/19/06 02:56 AM
Washington
D
Dee Dee Offline
Veteran
Dee Dee  Offline
Veteran
D

Washington
I would love to hear more about gels too (since I just ordered a pack of 20 ).

My Web Site www.deedeemurry.com
Re: latest pet portraits [Re: Dee Dee] #5901
12/24/06 04:23 PM
12/24/06 04:23 PM
B
BAP Offline OP
Tracker
BAP  Offline OP
Tracker
B

I would love to talk about gels a little bit, but I have to say that I am not very good at explaining things though. I will just list some tips in point form. But if anyone has any specific questions about them, please do not hesitate to ask. I am more than willing to help anyone in any way that I can.

- first off, I believe that gels are by far the most economical way to change the backround color. I would suggest buying one grey muslim, one roll of black seamless paper, one roll of arctic white seamless paper, and a bunch of gels. With this combination you have many options.

- make sure you have a fairly powerful backround strobe because the gels cause you to lose quite a bit of light.

- If I am using a posing table or something like that, I will place the backround strobe behind and below the subject. I the subject is on the floor, I will place the strobe to the side.

- You can control the spread and gradation of the light with honeycomb grids. These grids fit on the front of the strobe.

- When I am shooting in the studio, I like to shoot using remote capture. This allows me to view the photos on my laptop right after shooting. I find that the backround light looks much brighter than it really is on the camera lcd.

- The best advice I can give is to just experiment with the backround light. Try adjusting the distance of the strobe from the backround, change the power levels, use different colors and use different grids. You don't even need a subject to practice this. Just setup your equipment and shoot a teddy bear in front of your backround and shoot away.

Again if anyone has questions, ask away.

Happy Holidays
Brian

Re: latest pet portraits [Re: BAP] #5902
12/24/06 04:37 PM
12/24/06 04:37 PM
Washington
D
Dee Dee Offline
Veteran
Dee Dee  Offline
Veteran
D

Washington
Hi Brian! Thanks so much for this info. It's exactly what I need too.

I have a couple of questions. I have an AB800 for my background light. I haven't used it yet because still trying to decide on a background stand. I wasn't sure if pet photographers have some kind of trick in placing the backlight when the dog is on the floor, which will often be the case with me, so wasn't sure if I needed a certain height of background stand (or maybe they only come in one size?) It sounds like not though, either have to put them to the side or have the pet on something and hide the light behind that. Does anyone do it from above, with a boom arm?

I have a set of 20 different colored gels. I was going to get barn doors from AB but then I read to work with gels you also have to get a main frame so that is $100 vs $29 for the shovel reflector David told me about, which sounds perfect other than can't use it when dogs are on the floor. So I have been pondering...

My question then is how do the honeycomb grids compare to barn doors, is one better than the other for pet photography? I think you need a main frame thing for honeycomb grids at AB too...

Also do you use two backlights to light the background evenly or do you just use one?

The only background I have so far is the seamless white, so I'll get black and gray too. The only already colored background I really want right now is a muslin looking old masters painted in browns, but I can't find what I see in my head. I want a small pattern of mottling since my dog is small, and I am hoping I might find something (if it even exists) that is smooth and not drapey, or wrinkly like muslin gets. Like a canvas panel or something....but no luck yet!

What exactly is remote capture? It sounds like it uploads the image straight into your computer as you take the photo without you having to do it?

Thanks so much for taking the time to write this out for us!

Last edited by Dee Dee; 12/24/06 04:38 PM.

Re: latest pet portraits [Re: Dee Dee] #5903
12/24/06 04:45 PM
12/24/06 04:45 PM
Washington
D
Dee Dee Offline
Veteran
Dee Dee  Offline
Veteran
D

Washington
I thought of one more what might be a stupid question....is there a way to take the photo while standing away from the camera? (does the trigger thing do this, can I take it off the hot shoe of the camera...oh is this a really dumb question?) I was just thinking how nice it would be to be able to stand anywhere I want to pose Hallie, since I don't have a helper...

Re: latest pet portraits [Re: Dee Dee] #5904
12/25/06 10:37 AM
12/25/06 10:37 AM
B
BAP Offline OP
Tracker
BAP  Offline OP
Tracker
B

Hello Dee Dee

I have a small backround stand for my AB800 and I find that it works great. Really though you can use whatever you need to get the job done. You can either place it under and behind the posing table, or you can place it to one side, or you can even use a boom arm. I would only recomend that you keep the stand quite small. You don't want to be using a full size stand when your trying to get the light down low on the ground. I small stand is just much easier to work with. I have the backround stand from Alien Bee's and I love it.
You can use barndoors or honeycomb grids, you can get a similer effect from both of them. I prefer grids, but that is just me. I feel that they give a nice smooth gradation of light.
When you are shooting single animal portraits, you really only need one backround light. When you get into shooting more than one animal at a time or you are not filling the frame with the subject, you may want to use two lights. For the most part though, one light will work just fine. It just depends on what you are looking to do.
REMOTE CAPTURE. I love it. When I first started shooting in my studio, I did not use it, but now it is a staple. I shoot with canon and remote capture comes with the camera software. I am not sure what you should with and I am not sure if all the companies have this option. You run a cable from you camera to you computer ( I use laptop for this ). Within a second of shooting, the image is transfered and displayed on the computer. Not only does this help me get the shot I want, it also allows the customer to make sure that they have the same vision that I have. The lcd on the camera is useless compare to this. This is also a good solution to your second post. If you get a longer cable, you can set your laptop right up near where you are posing your animal. From the laptop, you can change your camera settings and fire off your shots. If you do shoot canon and you want to try remote capture, just let me know and I will give you detailed instructions on how to set it up.

I hope I answered your questions and I look forward to seeing more of your work.
Brian

Re: latest pet portraits [Re: BAP] #5905
12/25/06 11:38 PM
12/25/06 11:38 PM
Washington
D
Dee Dee Offline
Veteran
Dee Dee  Offline
Veteran
D

Washington
Thanks so much Brian. I think I will get just one background stand from AB then, I don't foresee doing groups or larger images that much if at all (unless I can figure out how to get a horse into my house and up the stairs!:)). I'd like to try that shovel reflector but since most of my subjects will be on the floor I think I will go with a honeycomb grid. Can you recommend which one, I see they have 10, 20, 30 or 40 I think it was. I am guessing I would need 30 or maybe 20 to light the smaller area taht will be behind the smaller subjects? Also looks like I would need to buy their mainframe deal if I want to use a gel with the grid?

The remote captures sounds great! I do shoot with Canon. I'd love to know how you set this up. I can see where this would come in real handy, the customer can see a good image of it, purchase it right there and print it out right there. Neat!

Wow so sounds like you can actually take the shots from the laptop?

Is there some hand held thing with a button that would allow you to walk around the "set" (i.e., as the dog handler) wherever you want and push the button in your hand to set the camera off? That would be ideal if such a thing exists.

Thanks again Brian!

Re: latest pet portraits [Re: Dee Dee] #5906
12/26/06 11:54 PM
12/26/06 11:54 PM
Washington
D
Dee Dee Offline
Veteran
Dee Dee  Offline
Veteran
D

Washington
Ugh I just spent more $$!! But I do think I have all I will want for a while now, except possible the sekonic. I just ordered a cheap gray mottled muslin ($29 I hope that wasn't a mistake to get one that cheap. I really wanted brown but hoping the gels will give me that).

http://secure.mycart.net/catalogs/catalog.asp?prodid=4830430&showprevnext=1

Black seamless paper (already have white), 30 honeycomb grid, mainframe, background stand plus some extras, muslin clips, AB bags, etc.

Hopefully I made wise choices?!?!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 378 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online629
Dec 4th, 2019

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer