over the rainbow
R
roley Offline OP
Tracker
roley  Offline OP
Tracker
R

over the rainbow
I havn't been able to find an answer to this question yet, so hopefuly those that sell their pet photos are willing to share their presentation secrets:)

How do you present the photos that a client has ordered?
Do you matt and mount each photo or just put the photos (individually or all of them) in a clear plastic bag?

And do you sign the photograph, or create a border on the photo before printing with your name and copyright notice, or do you write, stamp or sticker that on the back of each photo?

Thanks!

Michelle

Re: Photo presentation? [Re: roley] #6071
12/30/06 08:00 AM
12/30/06 08:00 AM
T
Tess32 Offline
Journeyman
Tess32  Offline
Journeyman
T

Hi MIchelle,

I'm sure you'll have more experienced people answer..

But I personally don't matt/mount - I provide the photos in one of those cylinder postpaks all packed in nicely. I usually use the stuff I get when the photos are delivered to me from the pro lab. If they are only small though then I send them in a clear plastic with heavy cardboard backing in together.

I don't frame/sign the photo, but I do put a sticker on the back.

D'urberville Photography http://www.durbervillephotography.com.au
Re: Photo presentation? [Re: roley] #6072
12/30/06 09:16 AM
12/30/06 09:16 AM
Dandenong Ranges, Melbourne, A...
PossumCorner Offline
Old hand
PossumCorner  Offline
Old hand

Dandenong Ranges, Melbourne, A...
Quote:

...How do you present the photos that a client has ordered?
Do you matt and mount each photo or just put the photos (individually or all of them) in a clear plastic bag? ...

Michelle there is conflicting advice on delivery packaging as with everything. We buy small packs of oversize 5x7 and 8x10 boxes from our pro-lab which they make up to mail their photos in. Always a half-inch deeper than the photos require. Prints are put in a plastic bag which is breathed into slightly to 'blow it up' which gives an air cushion effect before sealing the bag. Never any extra paper, card or cushion packing, they say this always causes more problems than it solves. Dimension of the box also larger than the print by about a half-inch so they "rattle around" in it. Pro-lab say this is much kinder to prints than the normal fixing firmly between cardboard and wrapped firmly to the edges: prevents bruising the edges if the box is knocked around during postage. Sounds 'wrong', but makes sense.

Larger prints, I'm open to ideas. One Pro-lab we use rolls them in generous-size tubes for both mailing and collection at lab. The other presents them flat if collected, and provides a tube if required.

But if I take a large print in a tube to our framer (a conservation-framer perfectionist) she reads me the Riot Act. "Never, never, roll an important photograph!! Ever!! As soon as it is rolled, whichever way, the image/emulsion/inks whatever are either compressed or stretched. Barbaric. etc. etc.

So I ask her how to deliver them flat, especially long-distance. The reply is sort of evasive, - like at great expense and with great difficulty. So I now try hard with larger prints to hand-deliver on core-flute or the like sheets, in large plastic bags, then well wrapped. Not always convenient. Mail-tubes used as a reluctant last resort with a guilty conscience.

Oh and the framer also says plastic is the worst enemy of a photograph and can't get it out of bag quick enough if I take a print for framing in a plastic bag. And as for handling a print (ever) without cotton gloves on, well that is also a sort of cardinal sin with her.

I wouldn't supply a print matted in general because the customer might prefer a different sized frame and need to re-mat anyway, plus should have the personal choice of the colour of mat and whether to double-mat or not.

I don't think there are any "rules" but have tried to get some pro advice to aim for best method. Our quantities are relatively small: I'd like to know how larger volume photographers handle this, especially for weddings photos.

We don't put names on front of print, probably should. The lab prints our name and the print's ID No. on the back.

Re: Photo presentation? [Re: roley] #6073
12/30/06 01:11 PM
12/30/06 01:11 PM
Illinois
Peggy Sue Offline
Pooh-Bah
Peggy Sue  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Illinois
Great question - interesting to see the different answers.

I do matt all the ordered images that are 5x7 and up. I use foam board as a backing and cut matts myself to fit the image and then try to matt up to a standard size frame if possible.

The signing thing is something I am not very consistant about. Maybe that could be a New Years resolution. A painting I always sign but a photo traditionally has been signed on the matt. We all know those can disappear. Signing with a computer generated stamp seems so "not real" so I am hoping to hear how others sign. Signing an image on the back also does not seem to add value to the image.

I recently put a signiture on an order and not on someone elses image. The one person who did not get a signature wanted one on hers.

Speaking of signatures- I have always felt they should not be a distraction to the artwork they are on. So I place them in various places that are not really obvious. Dating the image is something to consider too. I usually do not do that either. How do others deal with dating the image?

Peggy Sue
Re: Photo presentation? [Re: Peggy Sue] #6074
12/31/06 12:02 AM
12/31/06 12:02 AM
over the rainbow
R
roley Offline OP
Tracker
roley  Offline OP
Tracker
R

over the rainbow
Thanks everyone for the ideas and suggestions:) LOL PC, it was my framer's reaction to my question that prompted me to ask the question here actually:)

I figured that there must be a way that other photographers use other than framing the print before shipping (which was my framers recommendation).

Hopefully after the new year we might get a few suggestions on how others handle the shipping of larger prints:)

Michelle

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 203 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online876
Apr 25th, 2024

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer