01/05/07 09:03 AM
01/05/07 09:03 AM
T
Tess32 Offline OP
Journeyman
Tess32  Offline OP
Journeyman
T

Hmmm...yep it sounds risky. I won't want the photos "out there" and to be a representative of what I can do.

I will have a talk to them about it. It'd be a bummer to miss out on doing it but I had no idea it was indoors when I agreed as they'd said outdoors previously.

D'urberville Photography http://www.durbervillephotography.com.au
Re: Another lens question [Re: Tess32] #6135
01/05/07 10:46 AM
01/05/07 10:46 AM
Victoria, Australia
chezzyr Offline
Journeyman
chezzyr  Offline
Journeyman

Victoria, Australia
Nat

If its like most other specialties you will find they will want formal stacked shots of the winners and maybe other placegetters. There is no reason why you can't take these seperately in another area with flash when judging isnt going on. I personally would be avoiding flash photography while a dog is being judged or working out though. Simply because I would hate to feel responsible if the dog spooked.

If you can sort out a way to do the shots with a flash you might find youre able to cover the most important shots but avoid having to invest big bucks (buy or rent) in a lens "especially" for the event.

My online photo galleries: http://www.pbase.com/chezzyr
Re: Another lens question [Re: chezzyr] #6136
01/05/07 04:46 PM
01/05/07 04:46 PM
Washington
D
Dee Dee Offline
Veteran
Dee Dee  Offline
Veteran
D

Washington
Yes, sorry James I knew this one would be out of Tess's price range I got off on a tangent! I really was meaning to comapre the 1.8 capabilities, I was thinking maybe there is another lens with 1.8 in her price range but I'm not sure?

Tess if you can get permission to use flash for winners shots that would help a ton. But be prepared to be chased down with pitchforks if you take flash of dogs competing, My own longhaired doxie had passed her first 38 straight shows in obedience, from novice through utility with high scores, until the day a local newspaper reporter took a flash shot of her as she was approaching the bar jump which startled her and she screeched to a halt right in front of the jump and stared at him...and flunked. That was years ago and it still makes me cringe!

I have also had dogs in the ring, both breed and obedience, who were afraid of just me holding the big camera, before I even took a photo. At one show, I was showing Hallie, not taking photos myself, but another guy was taking some photos by the obedience ring and one ladies Aussie was so freaked out by the sound of the click that she had to pull him from the class even though the photographer stopped taking photos. (he wasn't an official photographer he was just taking photos I presume of his wife in the ring). So I no longer even take photos at the obedience rings (that lens is quite big and conspicuous though). I have no problems at Schutzhund or Lure Coursing, etc, just the indoor dog shows. I now just take photos of the groups.

I don't think you'll have too much luck indoors with a 5.6 lens, you wont' get much better than a lot of point and shoot cameras can do light wise, a lot of blur, and you really need to be able to offer something better than most people can get with their own cameras as a professional. I don't know if the reach is what you want but I really do love my Tamron 28-75 2.8, I think I got it for about $300. or so. I haven't tried it at a dog show without flash but I would think you'd get more keepers than with a 5.6 lens...

My Web Site www.deedeemurry.com
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 561 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online876
Apr 25th, 2024

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer