New Jersey
D
Dan Offline OP
Wanderer
Dan  Offline OP
Wanderer
D

New Jersey
My wife and I are planning a week-long trip to Yellowstone the third week of June this year. I'm hoping to get some suggestions for shooting locations during our visit. Right now we're figuring on a day each way for driving to and from the park to the airport in Salt Lake City and the rest of the time in Yellowstone.

thanks for any suggestions,

Dan

Re: Looking for Yellowstone advice [Re: Dan] #6202
01/05/07 01:14 AM
01/05/07 01:14 AM
Manhattan, New York, New York
James Morrissey Offline
I
James Morrissey  Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

Hey Dan,

Are you going to be based in Yellowstone or are you going to be in Jackson/Grand Teton?

James

Re: Looking for Yellowstone advice [Re: Dan] #6203
01/05/07 09:55 PM
01/05/07 09:55 PM
New Jersey
D
Dan Offline OP
Wanderer
Dan  Offline OP
Wanderer
D

New Jersey
Not sure yet where we're going to be based. We're considering using our timeshare for either a West Yellowstone or Jackson Hole resort. No matter what, we're hoping to spend a night in Grand Teton so we can spend the better part of 2 days shooting there.

If we don't go the timeshare route, then we're trying to figure out a route that hops from lodge to lodge inside the park, obviously that's dependent upon what we end up planning on shooting.

We're mainly interested in landscape photography, but will be bringing a couple of smaller long lenses (300 f4, 400 5.6, teleconverters) in hopes of photographing wildlife.

Any advice on good places for sunrise or sunset shots?

thanks
Dan

Re: Looking for Yellowstone advice [Re: Dan] #6204
01/06/07 01:37 AM
01/06/07 01:37 AM
James Morrissey Offline
I
James Morrissey  Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

Hey Dan,

I am a Teton's guy mostly, and I generally stay out of Jackson. There are tons of great places to view the Tetons. All of these are ideal sunrise/sunset shots.

(1) Mormon Row is off by Antelope Flats (really a sunrise shot)
(2) Schwabacher's Landing is also a classic spot (Sunrise..though it may be interesting to do sunset as well)
(3) For Mt. Moran, the spot is Oxbow Bend (Either..my best sunset ever is there)
(4) Black Tail Ponds (either), I believe, is where the famous Ansel shot with the back light is from (it is there or the next overlook over) - please, someone, correct me if I am wrong.
(5) Moran Junction (either)

Yellowstone, to me, is all about wildlife and the Geyser basin. It could be though that I have just not had the opportunity to really find the great places to photograph early in YSNP. I WOULD like to try the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone at sunrise. The angle looks close enough that you might get some solid light.

Staying out of the West Gate is great - though I have never stayed there as early as you are going. We stayed at a phenominal place called the Hibernation Station. I would NEVER have thought to go there had I not had problems with the Yellowstone Inn. However, the rooms were HUGE and the prices were cheaper than the park (though not by much....you can get some real low rates in W. Yellowstone).

James

Re: Looking for Yellowstone advice [Re: James Morrissey] #6205
01/06/07 01:56 AM
01/06/07 01:56 AM
New Jersey
D
Dan Offline OP
Wanderer
Dan  Offline OP
Wanderer
D

New Jersey
Hi James,

thanks! We just made flight reservations. Now we have to start making plans on where to stay and what places to visit. Your advice gives me some more to consider.

Btw, enjoyed your article on your Yellowstone trip and the write up on Harry the cat. We have four of our own and know just how loving these guys can be.

Dan

Re: Looking for Yellowstone advice [Re: Dan] #6206
01/07/07 05:05 PM
01/07/07 05:05 PM
James Morrissey Offline
I
James Morrissey  Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

Hi Dan,

Thank you very much for the compliments. I appreciate them very much. I am glad that you liked the Yellowstone article - it was the first time I spent MOST of my time in the Park and not in Grand Teton. I had a blast. Having said that, Grand Teton is really where my heart is. I love the place.

As you get closer to figuring out where you are staying, let me know. I know of a great affordable place in Jackson where I have been going for years (the Buckrail Lodge). I already mentioned the Hibernation Station in the West Gate area. In the park, I prefer Mammoth and the area near Thumb Geyser Basin (Grant Village).

James

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 460 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online629
Dec 4th, 2019

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer