Louisiana
M
Matt Offline OP
Wanderer
Matt  Offline OP
Wanderer
M

Louisiana
There are some very good pet photographers here that have had plenty of experience with backdrops and whatnot. I'm looking for an alternative than photoshopping the wrinkles out of all of my photos because I use painted muslins or sheets. I know they have photography paper that's a smooth surface, but I've always assumed because it's paper, dog nails will go right through it. So I'm looking for a solution to get some seemless (plain colored) backdrops, that pet nails won't go through. I've heard about a vinyl type paper but I'm not really sure about all that. Any help would be great.

Thanks!
Matt-

Re: Question about backdrops. [Re: Matt] #6583
02/12/07 12:39 PM
02/12/07 12:39 PM
Manhattan, New York, New York
James Morrissey Offline
I
James Morrissey  Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

Manhattan, New York, New York
"I'm looking for an alternative than photoshopping the wrinkles out of all of my photos because I use painted muslins or sheets."

Hi,

I don't do any work to my backgrounds when doing shoots, and generally leave them crumpled when I bring them out of the case.

-JM

Re: Question about backdrops. [Re: James Morrissey] #6584
02/12/07 04:31 PM
02/12/07 04:31 PM
TN
Julie Offline
Addict
Julie  Offline
Addict

TN
I either wad them up in a bag or if I want unwrinkled ones, I use the light canvas ones I get off of Ebay.

Re: Question about backdrops. [Re: Julie] #6585
02/13/07 01:29 AM
02/13/07 01:29 AM
Louisiana
M
Matt Offline OP
Wanderer
Matt  Offline OP
Wanderer
M

Louisiana
Yeah but I like the smooth backdrops more than I do wrinkles. For some reason I've just never understood the whole wrinkles thing for solid colored backdrops. If it's painted muslins its nice to have wrinkles because there's so much color in them, but to me wrinkles in solid colors just never looked right. That's why I was wondering about finding an alternative. Anything that can roll on a tube that doesn't tear would be good, but I just don't know enough about the different types just to take a chance to buy something.

Re: Question about backdrops. [Re: Matt] #6586
02/15/07 08:32 PM
02/15/07 08:32 PM
over the rainbow
R
roley Offline
Tracker
roley  Offline
Tracker
R

over the rainbow
Well, you could try a poly-urethane laminate (PUL) fabric and do it yourself with Rit (or similar dyes) or buy ready coloured.

Have a search for PUL diaper cover fabric online, it comes in a ton of colours and some of the fabric (ie most backing polyester fabric) won't crinkle but I would suggest you check with the seller first. To keep it wrinkle free, roll it around a cardboard tube when storing it.

You could also use vinyl - however this will be shiny, by using a PUL fabric, you could use the coloured fabric side rather than the reflective PU laminate side.

I've not tried it with photography but I am familiar with various forms of PUL fabric and can't see any reason it would not work as an inexpensive lightweight, waterproof and pretty durable backdrop.

In fact, if you go to a fabric store such as Joannes or I think Michaels (can't remember I am not actually in the US) and buy wrinkle free fabric that would be cheaper than a genuine backdrop from a photography store. If you wanted to have it PU laminated a company in the US www.fabrite.com will coat it for you. The reason i suggest teh poly urethane coating is that it gives a bit a strength and durability (like a flexible plastic coating) to thin lightweight fabric.

Michelle

Re: Question about backdrops. [Re: roley] #6587
02/16/07 02:18 PM
02/16/07 02:18 PM
Washington
D
Dee Dee Offline
Veteran
Dee Dee  Offline
Veteran
D

Washington
Here is some vinyl on sale for this week only

http://www.dennymfg.com/specials.html#net070222

I think you'd be surprised at how durable the seamless paper is though, I have yet to get a hole in it and my dog has pounced all over it playing with her toys. It does crease though.

Here are some canvas backdrops on rollers that won't wrinkle.

http://www.backdropoutlet.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_23_29&products_id=297

My Web Site www.deedeemurry.com
Re: Question about backdrops. [Re: Dee Dee] #6588
02/22/07 05:56 PM
02/22/07 05:56 PM
Illinois
Peggy Sue Offline
Pooh-Bah
Peggy Sue  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Illinois
I just received a flyer in the mail today with a sale that ends the end of this month. Those of you who might need backgrounds the site is www.knowledgebackgrounds.com. This is not a recommendation - just passing on a sale. Canvas and more....
25% off hand painted.

I am going through many of my muslins and if anyone wants gently used backgrounds - just let me know and I will e-mail you colors and scenics I no long will use.

For the non wrinkle look, I have purchased 4x8 sheets of foam insulation board and painted on those. I have even papered a scenic mural on some.
I do love canvas but I admit it is more difficult to carry to locations.

Peggy Sue
Re: Question about backdrops. [Re: Peggy Sue] #6589
02/26/07 10:02 PM
02/26/07 10:02 PM
Iowa
D
deathbycanon Offline
Wanderer
deathbycanon  Offline
Wanderer
D

Iowa
Downy wrinkle remover. I haven't tried it yet but heard it works great! Also paper is always a great option.

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 115 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online876
Apr 25th, 2024

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer