09/29/05 10:55 AM
09/29/05 10:55 AM
Portland Oregon
RomanJohnston Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
RomanJohnston  Offline OP
Pooh-Bah

Portland Oregon
Taking a drive down to Yosmeite as I hear the last 2 weeks in Oct are prime weeks for fall colors. First serious outing with the D2X....(great opportunity to put it fully through its paces) Will return probably the 20th or somwhere like that. Any one game for meeting down there during that time? (and if your close to my location....the drive down?)

I am currently looking at motels in the area...let me know if your interested.

Oh...and any one with tips as to prime locations to check out would be greatly appreciated.

Roman

Last edited by RomanJohnston; 09/29/05 03:17 PM.
Re: Well...off to Yosemite Oct 16th...for fall colors [Re: RomanJohnston] #727
09/29/05 01:10 PM
09/29/05 01:10 PM
L
Loopman Offline
Venturer
Loopman  Offline
Venturer
L

Hi Roman,

I have enjoyed the images you have been putting up recently. I hope that you get a bunch of great ones on your trip to Yosemite. I wish that I could go!

Lou

Re: Well...off to Yosemite Oct 16th...for fall colors [Re: Loopman] #728
09/29/05 03:24 PM
09/29/05 03:24 PM
Portland Oregon
RomanJohnston Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah

Portland Oregon
Thanks Lou.....I'm sure that it will be a good outing. I like to do what I call "communicating with the universe" (some would clal it the photography gods...lol) My wife is astounded at the "luck" I end up encountering....Somtimes It calls for rain and I go anway....and the skys open up (it seems just for me and for a limited while)...Dewit Jones writes about this on his website and it is a real thing...(at least for me)

My request is for foggy mornings with muted light and dramatic clouds during the day and evenings....with lots of underlit sunsets.

We will see how it cooperates...have about an 80% return on my requests.

Roman

Re: Well...off to Yosemite Oct 16th...for fall col [Re: RomanJohnston] #729
10/01/05 11:04 PM
10/01/05 11:04 PM
Manhattan, New York, New York
James Morrissey Offline
I
James Morrissey  Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

"It calls for rain and I go anway....and the skys open up (it seems just for me and for a limited while)...Dewit Jones writes about this on his website and it is a real thing...(at least for me)...My request is for foggy mornings with muted light and dramatic clouds during the day and evenings....with lots of underlit sunsets."

Hey Roman,

I wish that I had this power! I sat every day in July in Yellowstone waiting for the sun to pop. Heck, I WILLED it to happen. You know what I got? Bubcus.

I just checked out his site. His stuff is pretty cool. I wonder if he would be interested in an interview...Anyone know him?

On another note, how are you coming with your trip preparations? I am getting ready for a trip to the White Mountains next weekend.

-JM

Re: Well...off to Yosemite Oct 16th...for fall col [Re: James Morrissey] #730
10/01/05 11:26 PM
10/01/05 11:26 PM
Portland Oregon
RomanJohnston Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah

Portland Oregon
Its not really a power...its more like an agreement.

Yes Dewitt is pretty cool. He is a pros...pro. I absolutly am in alignment with the sprit of his photographic ethic and his love of the art. I also find the late Galen Rowell one of the others that have shaped my photographic mindset.

Tonight I research where to stay (last time it was at a best western close by.) Super early AM starts....scouting/nap during harsh light...and evenings till light dissapears....repeat and rinse as nessassary.

All my gear is good cept my SB-800, which is being sent to Nikon...but have 2 sb-600s to fill in with for now (their usually my slaves) have a new backpack to carry 2 bodys (D2X and D2H) and my main lenses with on the way. Have several batterys, and orders two more batterys for my Epson -P2000. Laptop is all cleaned up...calibrated, PSCS2/ACR has been updated on it. Both tripods are cleaned and prepped/checked....(Gitzo 2220 and Old tank Benbo...the old school version that is virtually industructable and infinatly adjustable) Insurance is paid up.....basicly ready to go...

White Mountains? (were not talking about Arizona are we?)

Roman

Re: Well...off to Yosemite Oct 16th...for fall col [Re: RomanJohnston] #731
10/02/05 07:54 PM
10/02/05 07:54 PM
Paul Beiser Offline
Tracker
Paul Beiser  Offline
Tracker

Dewitt Jones writes a killer column for Outdoor Photographer and I think he would make an awesome interview (as well as John Shaw!!)

Re: Well...off to Yosemite Oct 16th...for fall col [Re: Paul Beiser] #732
10/02/05 11:42 PM
10/02/05 11:42 PM
James Morrissey Offline
I
James Morrissey  Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

Hi Roman,

The White Mountains are in New Hampshire. We are actually going to be staying in Portland Maine. I have 3 goals. The first is the Flume Gorge. The second is the Bog in New London and the Third is moose...anywhere.

-JM

Re: Well...off to Yosemite Oct 16th...for fall col [Re: James Morrissey] #733
10/02/05 11:44 PM
10/02/05 11:44 PM
James Morrissey Offline
I
James Morrissey  Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

Hey Paul,

I am going to try to contact Dewitt Jones this week. John Shaw and I have been discussing doing an interview for NWP. He had told me that he is interested in doing an interview, hopefully later this fall.

Currently on the list of folks pending are Darrell Gulin the president of NANPA and Steve Kossack (F8 and be there).

-JM

Re: Well...off to Yosemite Oct 16th...for fall col [Re: James Morrissey] #734
10/03/05 12:31 AM
10/03/05 12:31 AM
Portland Oregon
RomanJohnston Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah

Portland Oregon
James, Their also in Arizona....lol. Thats why I asked. My ex wifes family had a cabin in the AZ version.

http://www.whitemountainsguide.com/

I will put my request in to the universe for all your goals and more to be shown to you....all you need do is keep your eyes open....and your camera ready.

I hope you get an interview from both Dewitt and John....both would extreemly interesting to me.

Roman

Re: Well...off to Yosemite Oct 16th...for fall col [Re: RomanJohnston] #735
10/03/05 09:27 AM
10/03/05 09:27 AM
Paul Beiser Offline
Tracker
Paul Beiser  Offline
Tracker

Hi James,

Wow, that would be great to get both Dewitt and John S as well as Darrell and Steve. Part I of Art's interview was spectacular.

-Paul

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 355 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online629
Dec 4th, 2019

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer